Air filter

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

My SR2 originally never had an air filter, just a fitment like a horizontal pipe open at both ends that stopped stuff falling into the supply. This top bit disintegrated and the guy rebuilding the engine then stuck a filter onto the open pipe. Is this OK, or would it be better without it? I could knock up another equivalent of the original easily enough.

Personally I would not run an engine without a filter, Doesn't have to be something sophisticated, just a bit of an old T shirt SECURELY tied over the intake to stop wasps / bees / mice / leaves etc. getting in.

2 hours ago, Bee said:

Personally I would not run an engine without a filter, Doesn't have to be something sophisticated, just a bit of an old T shirt SECURELY tied over the intake to stop wasps / bees / mice / leaves etc. getting in.

I know of a hire boat on the Thames that had a 1.5 running without an inlet manifold. I agree something to keep rubbish and dropped nuts & bolts. bodies out of the engine.

37 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I know of a hire boat on the Thames that had a 1.5 running without an inlet manifold. I agree something to keep rubbish and dropped nuts & bolts. bodies out of the engine.

Most of the marine versions of the SR2 didn't have an air filter. Here is a photo of the inlet manifold and cover. There is no filter under that cover.

20200729_120522_resized.jpg

1 hour ago, PhilR said:

Most of the marine versions of the SR2 didn't have an air filter. Here is a photo of the inlet manifold and cover. There is no filter under that cover.

Just like many Vetus and the Perkins with flame plugs.

21 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just like many Vetus and the Perkins with flame plugs.

I had forgotten that. My previous boat had a Perkins 4/107. My starting procedure was to turn on the heating element until there was a puff of smoke from the inlet manifold, then engage the starter motor. It never failed to start first time.

My SR2 has no starting aids, but in warm weather it starts within 1 or 2 seconds (assuming the battery is good).

I presume the manufacturers' logic in having no air filter is that a marine engine would not normally be operating in dusty conditions?

1 hour ago, PhilR said:

I had forgotten that. My previous boat had a Perkins 4/107. My starting procedure was to turn on the heating element until there was a puff of smoke from the inlet manifold, then engage the starter motor. It never failed to start first time.

My SR2 has no starting aids, but in warm weather it starts within 1 or 2 seconds (assuming the battery is good).

I presume the manufacturers' logic in having no air filter is that a marine engine would not normally be operating in dusty conditions?

Absolutely right but the canal is not a marine environment and there's a lot of nasty, sharp abrasive dust kicked up from the towpath.

On 29/07/2020 at 21:22, Arthur Marshall said:

Thats what mine was like. The legs holding it fell to bits and the bloke who rebuilt the engine lost it and stuck a filter on instead. I always wondered if the extra resistance would make a difference or whether i should remake the original.

Just for information the later slightly more powerful ST engines were always fitted with air filters as standard. So I don't think an air filter on your engine would cause any problems. Also the SR industrial engines were always fitted with air cleaners.