Eberspaher and similar heaters

Bee

Featured Posts

Not my favourite things but I am thinking of getting one for chilly autumn mornings. Biggest concern is leaks of CO, its difficult on our boat to seal the thing into a compartment so I would have to rely on the integrity of the exhaust and frankly the one that is usually supplied looks pretty rubbish. Its easy on a campervan or road vehicle as you can sling it under the vehicle but tricky on a boat. I would like a Taylors diesel bulkhead stove but the prices!!!!!

25 minutes ago, Bee said:

Not my favourite things but I am thinking of getting one for chilly autumn mornings. Biggest concern is leaks of CO, its difficult on our boat to seal the thing into a compartment so I would have to rely on the integrity of the exhaust and frankly the one that is usually supplied looks pretty rubbish. Its easy on a campervan or road vehicle as you can sling it under the vehicle but tricky on a boat. I would like a Taylors diesel bulkhead stove but the prices!!!!!

There are 1000's of Ebers and Webbys installed and we don' read about even one death per year as a result of them 'leaking'.

If they are installed and maintained correctly there is no issue with them.

If they are installed in the engine 'ole (not on trad trads) then you should not get any leakage into the living space even if the heater leaks.

Do you worry about you hob or cooker ? (and they do not even have an exhaust / vent)

You would need to get the marine version to get the correct exhaust and skin fittings that are BSS compliant not the vehicle version.

We have a Webasto 2kw heater fitted to our boat (well actually we don't it is in bits having a service on Liams workbench at the moment!) and it has never given us cause for concern. It heats the boat well and uses very little diesel at 0.12-0.25 litres per hour.

We have an 8Kw Eberspacher on our Cruiser, I won't temp fate, but it has always worked well, we switch it on when we get on the boat and it stays on (thermostat controlled) until we leave 2, 4, 6, 10, 12, weeks later.

When not running it uses no fuel, but when on 'high' it uses 1 litre per hour, and on 'low' it uses 0.4 litres per hour, which being 4x the heat output of Naughty Cal's is about 'right'

Echo what Phyllis wrote above.

I bought a 'marine version' with insulated exhaust system and mounted at the rear of my trad stern - and we're still 'here'  today some xx years later.

It when folks buy a vehicle version - 'co they're cheaper, that you get problems....

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, Bee said:

Ah, that's interesting, didn't realise there was a marine version. More research needed I think.

Have a look at MikuniHeating.com - lots of details there.

44 minutes ago, Bee said:

Ah, that's interesting, didn't realise there was a marine version. More research needed I think.

The automotive version operates at differing voltages and needs the software changing for marine use, the automotive one has a 'drain hole' in the exhaust to allow condensate to drip out, when use in a boat this means that the CO exhaust gases are emitted directly into the boat.

DO NOT BUY a cheap ebay one without ensuring it is the correct marine version.

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The automotive version operates at differing voltages and needs the software changing for marine use, the automotive one has a 'drain hole' in the exhaust to allow condensate to drip out, when use in a boat this means that the CO exhaust gases are emitted directly into the boat.

You are right about the non-marine exhaust, but I bought an ex vehicle[Ford OEM] model as a spare for my boat and the operating voltage is the same at 12v [though of course there are 24v versions] and the software is no different except there is no option for the diagnostic feed to the remote controller.

P.F.Jones in Manchester are good for spares and servicing kits

35 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

You are right about the non-marine exhaust, but I bought an ex vehicle[Ford OEM] model as a spare for my boat and the operating voltage is the same at 12v [though of course there are 24v versions] and the software is no different except there is no option for the diagnostic feed to the remote controller.

P.F.Jones in Manchester are good for spares and servicing kits

Yes they are both 'nominally 12v' units but with very different electronics.

The Webasto service agent who used to post on here (NMEA) said that the voltage limits were different as the automotive ones operated off a starter battery that was always at 100% charged, the marine ones will work with lower battery voltages as are found on 'boat domestic battery banks', whilst the automotive ones will cut-out at those typical 'part charged' voltages.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

There was, I don't know if it is still the case, also the issue of some vehicle heaters only running for an hour at a time so as not to flatten vehicle batteries.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Quite a few people on our marina are now running the cheap chinese diesel heaters and have done for a couple of years with no problems.

25 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Quite a few people on our marina are now running the cheap chinese diesel heaters and have done for a couple of years with no problems.

Yes, the Propex equivalents (but not the Eberspachers or Webasto's ?)

25 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said: