Music on your boat - how?

Richard10002

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

There's not much of either! But yes, wall mounted would work. Every flat surface has to be used for several purposes so I found the portable CD player was being moved more often than it was being used! I'm guessing the next system won't be CD at all, but it still needs to be placed somewhere

I have no aspirations to play vinyl on board - that's staying at home :D 

Likewise: if we lived on board we'd need to tow a butty to accommodate it - that and Mrs. Athy's shoes.

But if you will be playing neither records nor CDs, what WILL you play? Just the radio? Cassettes? Or some ultra-modern medium which has so far escaped my attention?

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

Likewise: if we lived on board we'd need to tow a butty to accommodate it - that and Mrs. Athy's shoes.

But if you will be playing neither records nor CDs, what WILL you play? Just the radio? Cassettes? Or some ultra-modern medium which has so far escaped my attention?

At a basic level all you need is a phone and a Bluetooth speaker.

You can store music on the phone or do what we do and subscribe to Spotify.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

So, as I said, yes.

Yes.

And if you have wi-fi on the boat through a router you could set up a speaker with Google or Amazon music built in (ours has Google) you don't even need a smart phone. You can just ask them to play just about any track you like,

Edited by The Happy Nomad

40 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have until very recently played CD's and cassette tapes on board - played on a (not very good) boom box

I'm in an interesting position at the moment, my radio show has had to go to digital formats because I don't have access to the studio, so CD's are converted to MP3, as is some vinyl and the odd tape as and when needed, also artists are sending me material on MP3 pr WAV format which can go straight into the recording of the show. 

However my car is CD only, no sockets to plug anything else in! So I'm actually converting these formats to CD as the car is where I review a lot of music for the show.

I will probably have a CD player on board, but I have always found this ends up with a third collection (Home, Car and boat) so will play from one of these ultra modern media that you refer to as well.

That said the IT industry seem determined to noble that too - Apple no longer make the iPod, phones are crap (sorry, I'm a radio presenter, they are!) so I imagine a good car stereo with USB port and it may as well have a CD slot. 

I have a friend who sells music on wax cylinders, but I don't think I'll have a wax cylinder player on board.

Edited by magpie patrick

4 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I have a friend who sells music on wax cylinders, but I don't think I'll have a wax cylinder player on board.

Quite right too: two cylinders is (are?) sufficient for most boats.

On which station does your radio show appear?

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

Quite right too: two cylinders is (are?) sufficient for most boats.

On which station does your radio show appear?

Magpie's Folk Cafe- Frome FM - 96.6FM and online (a line I say half a dozen times in every show!) 7pm every other Sunday although soon to go weekly

Broadcast 24/7 on FM (the mast is on top of the Memorial theatre) and online everywhere that has a decent internet connection - there is also a listen again facility, link below

https://frome.fm/programmes/music/magpies-folk-cafe/

The Town Hall, where the studios are, has been closed since mid march, and we couldn't work out how to sanitise a sound desk with only two minutes between shows, so I've been compiling the shows on my laptop and uploading them to the playout computer. 

Edited by magpie patrick

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

However my car is CD only, no sockets to plug anything else in! So I'm actually converting these formats to CD as the car is where I review a lot of music for the show.

CD is a media, MP3 is a format - try burning MP3 files to a CD and see what happens? Worst is you waste a disk; best is you find you can just copy MP3's (in quantity!) to media your car will cope with

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

I have until very recently played CD's and cassette tapes on board - played on a (not very good) boom box

I'm in an interesting position at the moment, my radio show has had to go to digital formats because I don't have access to the studio, so CD's are converted to MP3, as is some vinyl and the odd tape as and when needed, also artists are sending me material on MP3 pr WAV format which can go straight into the recording of the show. 

I will probably have a CD player on board, but I have always found this ends up with a third collection (Home, Car and boat) so will play from one of these ultra modern media that you refer to as well.

That said the IT industry seem determined to noble that too - Apple no longer make the iPod, phones are crap (sorry, I'm a radio presenter, they are!) so I imagine a good car stereo with USB port and it may as well have a CD slot. 

I used to be a bit into hifi but now accept that the modern way has many advantages? What is so wrong with phones? I hate them because the screen is so small and so the on-screen-keyboard is a pain to use? Could you not use an iPad or other tablet? This could connect to a bluetooth car radio, or you could always use a cable if the radio has a front panel connector. I did like CD's (never like vinyl) but since living on a boat have gone right off them, take up too much space and the players don't like the ash in the air.

If i'm "working away" like at the back of the boat I use a Surface Go as a tablet to work Spotify.   Maybe a USB memory stick is the answer for you? some car radios have USB on the front panel????

Will search out your radio station. Ferocious dog are a sort of punk band but influenced by the Levellers and the Oyster band so worth a listen.

.................Dave

14 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

CD is a media,

Erroneous on two counts, I think.

Firstly, it is a format.

Secondly, were it not, it would be a medium. Media are plural.

Apart from that, I totally agree with you.:D

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

Firstly, it is a format.

CD is a media (or medium) on which arbitrary data is carried (SD Card, USB stick are others. Vinyl is also available) - of those arbitrary data types MP3 is a format for encoding audio from one or more channels for playback - you can put MP3 on any medium capable of holding data (although that doesn't guarantee playback), you can put all sorts of data including MP3 on a CD...

1 minute ago, 1st ade said:

CD is a media (or medium) on which arbitrary data is carried (SD Card, USB stick are others. Vinyl is also available) - of those arbitrary data types MP3 is a format for encoding audio from one or more channels for playback - you can put MP3 on any medium capable of holding data (although that doesn't guarantee playback), you can put all sorts of data including MP3 on a CD...

So, since CD is certainly a format, then "format" and "medium" are not mutually exclusive? Fair enough, thanks for the explanation.

But it is not, please not, "a media"!

Just now, Athy said:

So, since CD is certainly a format, as is vinyl, then "format" and "medium" are not mutually exclusive? Fair enough, thanks for the explanation.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Firstly, it is a format.

A medium is somebody who communicates with the spirit world, media is different and can be singular or plural. I think you have failed to keep up to date with changes to (destruction of)  the English language. Media is a word a bit like platform and so has no specific meaning hence can be singular or plural, or in fact anything in between, (a bit like gender).  It can and should be used at every opportunity to refer to all manner of things. ?

................Dave

13 minutes ago, dmr said:

A medium is somebody who communicates with the spirit world, media is different and can be singular or plural. I think you have failed to keep up to date with changes to (destruction of)  the English language. Media is a word a bit like platform and so has no specific meaning hence can be singular or plural, or in fact anything in between, (a bit like gender).  It can and should be used at every opportunity to refer to all manner of things. ?

................Dave

I knew you'd agree with me. :D.

No, "media" is always plural. Its singular is "medium". An artist might work in the medium of water-colour. Television is a mass medium; telly, radio and newspapers together are the mass media.

The term is seldom encountered in the culinary world, hence the expression "medium rare".

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Firstly, it is a format.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

So, since CD is certainly a format, then "format" and "medium" are not mutually exclusive? Fair enough, thanks for the explanation.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

:clapping:

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

I knew you'd agree with me. :D.

No, "media" is always plural. Its singular is "medium". An artist might work in the medium of water-colour. Television is a mass medium; telly, radio and newspapers together are the mass media.

The term is seldom encountered in the culinary world, hence the expression "medium rare".

^^ Wot he said, several times. That always grates with me too.

Mumble mumble, those of us with the benefit of a classical education, mumble mumble.

"Program" in a computing context (only), "data" has also gone (used to be a datum, some data) but "media" hasn't yet. "The Meejah" is (are?) diferent altogether.

42 minutes ago, dmr said:

>>A medium is somebody who communicates with the spirit world, <<

Ahem! A medium is somebody who pretends to communciate with the spirit world.

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Ahem! A medium is somebody who pretends to communciate with the spirit world.

If, as you say, you have a classical education, you'll doubtless say that a media is a female one.

How should one enunciate "communciate"?

49 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

"data" has also gone (used to be a datum, some data) 

Some of still use datum, I'm trying to work out where datum is for levels taken in the Boyne Valley

I think data is generally, err, data. I can't remember the last time I was given a single item of data/datum, except in the context above where a datum is a single reference point for other data

18 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I bought one of these bluetooth speakers recently. The sound is unbelievable for its size. What's developed in speaker technology over the last few years to get such good quality sound from relatively small cheap speakers?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083K77PZL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lE2dFb6439D07

I 'd like something that has LW and works for years.

My car radio shorted out [user error], and refuses to 'undock'

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I 'd like something that has LW and works for years.

LW radio? Why would you need LW these days? You can play just about every radio station on the planet on your phone with various apps and just play it through a bluetooth speaker