MagnetMan at work................

bargiepat

Featured Posts

Hi,

I met Magnetman at the top of the Napton flight , he was moored just above the top lock and he came to say hello just as I was going down.

I stoped for lunch just next to the winding hole at the bottom and saw him passing. He was draging a magnet as he was heading towards Braunston. Apparently he does this when ever he can !!!!!! Here is a pic.

6d18ro6.jpg

Regards Patrick.

I think we saw him yesterday. we were moored outside The Bridge at Napton. Bridge no. 111. While waiting for Mr P to come back from the car shuffel (due to go home), I was on the back of the boat watching the entertainment the hire boaters were providing. When along came a boat with a fella dragging a magnet behind him. i know it was a magnet as he brought it out of the water and the couple of items that were on the end he threw back in and then the magnet. all without stopping and negotiating a line of moored boats!

Wish I had known, would have said hi.

Mrs P

Going south on the GU, just met some wicked ghosts in Braunston tunnel they only come out at night, when its dark. Not enough food shops on the Oxford thats why i was looking a bit thin. More importantly nothing good on the magnet just grey puddling clay and bean tins.

Going south on the GU, just met some wicked ghosts in Braunston tunnel they only come out at night, when its dark. Not enough food shops on the Oxford thats why i was looking a bit thin. More importantly nothing good on the magnet just grey puddling clay and bean tins.

I'm setting off next weekend from Crick. If the weather doesn't look too stormy I'll take the Nene, otherwise the South Ox will beckon.

I will - although from your previous post I probably should bring a packed lunch!

or give me a days notice and I will do what I can do - cook curry!

edit: although if you make it down at the same time as Magnet Man I could have a go at one of those roast things.....

Edited by Bones

I understand he favours this variety:-

Ebay magnet clicky

Hi Magnet man, we have a lot in common !!!! have done for years,,,,,, my heap of rusty and not so rusty windlasses now is about 2ft high !! thinking of welding them all together , and planting them in concrete at the bottom of hurleston locks to show my appreciation,,,, dedicated losers can hack one off as they enter the LLangollen in anticipation of an impending loss !!!

Found my 1st chrome plated wrought about a month ago on the cheshire locks,,,, (location confidential as its a honey pot )

had to make a stash as the bike was getting top heavy,,,, with 17 double eyes on , plus the barnacles, avoiding dumping them all , and me back in the cut was a challenge,,,

Whats the 'best find' to date then,,,???

( my mag came out of an x ray machine at a scrapyard,,,,) bin goin strong for years,,

cheers matey,

martin

I always have a trawl about first thing in the morning before the others get up. I meet lots of early-birds out along the towpath - with the usual comments like 'Oh have you got an underwater dog?'

The most things I find are those long steel spikes that they use around road works or bridge repairs to hold up 'Danger - keep out' plastic tape and scaffold clips.

I always have a trawl about first thing in the morning before the others get up. I meet lots of early-birds out along the towpath - with the usual comments like 'Oh have you got an underwater dog?'

The most things I find are those long steel spikes that they use around road works or bridge repairs to hold up 'Danger - keep out' plastic tape and scaffold clips.

Eh up,,,,,, you are fishing in the right place around locks ??? theres that much scrap everywhere else , I think a skip and a hiab would be better !!

martin

Gonna have to get me one of these magnet things when I pop into the swindelry tomorrow. Decided to buy myself a nice, new, windlass and I've no intention of leaving it in the bottom of a lock! (Ok ... stay tuned for the tail of when I loose it at the first lock ...)