Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Canal321

Oil for st2

Featured Posts

Hi,

What oil do I put in the st2 ? 

Also what do I put in the gearbox? It's the Lister hydraulic one. 

 

Thanks, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EP 80 gear oil in the box and reduction box if you have one and I suspect 15w40 at API CC or CD in the engine but @RLWP & co will probably pop in to confirm or deny

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

How often should you change the gearbox oil?

As the box uses fibre clutch linings I would suggest once a year to get rid of whatever the linings may shed or when the oil changes colour whichever comes first. However does the manual not tell you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the manual it says straight mineral oils are not to be used. Does that mean it has to be fully/semi synthetic? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Canal321 said:

Reading the manual it says straight mineral oils are not to be used. Does that mean it has to be fully/semi synthetic? 

I think that you may have misread the manual. Probably says synthetic shoudl not be used. A straight mineral oil is one that is not a multi-grade so like the one David shows and when the basic engine was designed those were the only ones available.  I have dug out my SR manual and it shows both straight and multi-grade oils. For the UK climate SAE20W20 but I have never seen such an oil. Remember this is for an SR, not an ST so until contradicted I am sticking to what I said earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think that you may have misread the manual. Probably says synthetic shoudl not be used. A straight mineral oil is one that is not a multi-grade so like the one David shows and when the basic engine was designed those were the only ones available.  I have dug out my SR manual and it shows both straight and multi-grade oils. For the UK climate SAE20W20 but I have never seen such an oil. Remember this is for an SR, not an ST so until contradicted I am sticking to what I said earlier.

Shell used to make Rotella 20w/20w. I used it in my JP2. Sadly they discontinued it a about 15 years ago. Since then I’ve used Morris Golden Film 20. I’m a big fan of Morris oils...And their tech advice is very helpful. Give them a call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, not your fault but a lack of clarity on the part of Lister.

 

Personally I think you will struggle to get what they call a straight mineral oil because its an oil with no additives in it. That phrase is about 50 years out of date.

 

All oils you  can buy today will have additives so they are not straight mineral oils as per the manual. You do not want synthetic oil.

 

The "magic" part of the specification is where it says API CC. This is an oil suitable for diesel engines but with a limited amount of additives when compared with modern oils.

 

Note it says API CD may inhibit running in but once run it they will be fine.

 

Put is all together and for the UK, in and engine bay, we are back to SAE 15W40 in API CC or CD as I said in my original answer You can use the mono-grade oil  David showed as long a sit meets the API CC CD specification but I would use the multi-grade because on really hot days with lots of hard running it should maintain its viscosity (runnyness) better.

 

Have a search for 15W40 in API CC or CD. Its unlikely to be in Halfords and such like but a motor factors may stock it as may agricultural merchants and oil specialists.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

You can use the mono-grade oil  David showed as long a sit meets the API CC CD specification but I would use the multi-grade because on really hot days with lots of hard running it should maintain its viscosity (runnyness) better.

 

Yes the Morris Golden Film Classic Motor Oil (available in SAE 20, 30, 40 and 50 grades) meets API SD / CC, and is marked as such on the container, although you have to dive into the Technical Data Sheet on the Morris website to find that information.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you both, I just wanted to understand it all a little better. 

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

OK, not your fault but a lack of clarity on the part of Lister.

 

Personally I think you will struggle to get what they call a straight mineral oil because its an oil with no additives in it. That phrase is about 50 years out of date.

 

All oils you  can buy today will have additives so they are not straight mineral oils as per the manual. You do not want synthetic oil.

 

The "magic" part of the specification is where it says API CC. This is an oil suitable for diesel engines but with a limited amount of additives when compared with modern oils.

 

Note it says API CD may inhibit running in but once run it they will be fine.

 

Put is all together and for the UK, in and engine bay, we are back to SAE 15W40 in API CC or CD as I said in my original answer You can use the mono-grade oil  David showed as long a sit meets the API CC CD specification but I would use the multi-grade because on really hot days with lots of hard running it should maintain its viscosity (runnyness) better.

 

Have a search for 15W40 in API CC or CD. Its unlikely to be in Halfords and such like but a motor factors may stock it as may agricultural merchants and oil specialists.

This was very helpful thanks :)

Edited by Canal321

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.