Brunel 1A stove

Noggin

Featured Posts

Hi we have a Stovax Brunel 1A stove - we have a problem closing the door - could it be that the hinges need adjusting (can it be done on this stove?) & if so how - have been on the Stovax website & there is no email address for queries that I can see.

Hi Joe - I thought this might be the case - I can shut the door, but really need to push hard to get it closed - I can't see anything getting in the way - its not going to be the stove rope surely?

42 minutes ago, Noggin said:

Hi Joe - I thought this might be the case - I can shut the door, but really need to push hard to get it closed - I can't see anything getting in the way - its not going to be the stove rope surely?

If the stove rope is new it will deffo in some cases do precisely that. If not check for any rust or crud where the door and the stove mate up.

Try using a narrow strip of paper, between the door and it's frame.  If the paper moves freely, that would indicate a gap or low spot, if the paper gets trapped, that will show where there's a high spot.  This may help to identify the place you need to look closer at.

5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The iron rusts behind the rope forcing it out and making it hard to close.

I don't know this stove type, but it is also possible that the rope has got clarted up with soot and grit, had this on a Squirrel stove, making it less compliant. I'd replace the rope seal. When the seal is removed, thoroughly clean any groove out that it sits in. I use a big old screwdriver to scrape out any rust, glue, old rope. Then fit a new seal of the correct size. They come in two types, a soft rope that deforms easily and a harder one that doesn't. Sorry, no idea which would be best for yours. This will most likely solve your problem. If not, then you now have a new door seal installed, which is always worth doing!

Jen

The 1a is notoriously difficult to close after fitting new rope to the door.  Clean out any crud from the groove, then run an 8mm drill at an angle to get the groove back to bare metal. A cordless on screwdriver setting works well.

Use the minimum of glue to hold the rope in. You don’t need to use ‘door rope cement’, just a little bit of contact adhesive or similar, and then only on the ends.  One the rope is compressed enough to be able to close the door it won’t be going anywhere.  To start with you will probably need to push the door with a poker to get the hook to engage. Stay with it and after a while the door will close relatively easily and make a good seal.

The above goes for standard door rope, I’ve not tried it with softer rope.

• Greenie 1