STAFF VACANCY; Technical Administrator

DHutch

Featured Posts

Canal World is looking for a Technical Administrator to oversee the server-side operation of the forum, as after four years sterling service RichM our current Tech Admin stood down last month.

This roll one which can be fitted around the applicant, but is also critical to our success and the smooth running of the site going forwards, so if you are in any way interested or able or if you know of someone who might be, please get in touch via PM or email and we can talk it over.

The role can somewhat be tailored to the individual, but in principle is likely in include;

• Overseeing the 'back end' of the forum, hosting, site backups, software updates and the like.
  • Development and improvement of the site to keep software and systems up to date and or add new features.
  • Some day to day running of the site, including minor technical issues members may have.
  • Document system changes, and communicate work to myself and or members.

Clearly a technical mind and understanding of similar systems is required. However, a combination of using out of the box forum software which its own technical support, friendly hosts, and AWS makes the role as simple as practically possible.

A position of significant trust, the applicant must be reasonably available in the case of urgent technical issues, although the majority of work can be flexible around every life, with the total hours required being perhaps 25 hours per month on average.

Thank you

Daniel

Site Owner

Perhaps while we are all on lockdown for a four day weekend would be a good time to get to know the system and get a good handover from Richard!

Either way, as said, please don't be shy as the work involved is while important also very manageable and I am as supportive as I know how to be.

Daniel

Hi Dan, can I suggest that if nobody has forwarded themselves, the role for a single person seems a little like a poisoned chalice. Rich has done an amazing job and no wonder he needs some down time. I'm quite sure from posts by some on here that there is a communal knowledge that could deal with SQL databases, software patches and AWS buckets etc. Maybe ask if anyone would be part of a team that could deal with the tech side.

21 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Hi Dan, can I suggest that if nobody has forwarded themselves, the role for a single person seems a little like a poisoned chalice. Rich has done an amazing job and no wonder he needs some down time. I'm quite sure from posts by some on here that there is a communal knowledge that could deal with SQL databases, software patches and AWS buckets etc. Maybe ask if anyone would be part of a team that could deal with the tech side.

Yes, that is certainly an option and I am very happy for people to come forwards to offer to be part of a 2-3 person team. The work load is fairly small, but it is always nice working together and I have had less time to give personally so that might work well.

Daniel

53 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Whenever things went a bit wrong, and even when they didn’t, Rich always seemed to get stick. His resignation came shortly after a spate of getting a hard time for his hard work. Co-incidence? I suspect not.

Perhaps the tech person should be shielded from this sort of crap by not being a named person who can be the target of the grumpy ones. Anonymous in the background might be better?

I think the same should be the case for all mods. 

14 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Whenever things went a bit wrong, and even when they didn’t, Rich always seemed to get stick.

My observation was quite different: he was frequently (and deservedly) thanked and praised.

On 12/04/2020 at 21:40, nicknorman said:

Whenever things went a bit wrong, and even when they didn’t, Rich always seemed to get stick. His resignation came shortly after a spate of getting a hard time for his hard work. Co-incidence? I suspect not.

Perhaps the tech person should be shielded from this sort of crap by not being a named person who can be the target of the grumpy ones. Anonymous in the background might be better?

I would be happy for the Technical moderator(s) to remain 'anonymous' if they would like to distance their personal account from the job roles.

Obviously people can still praise (and sadly give stick to) the admin team. I will always do what I can to protect all of the staff from flack, and to deflect and dissipate it where I can, as I am glad to say a lot of other members do too. I am sure the recent spate was a factor in the timing, however Rich has also done a long stint and is in the process of moving his home onto land and various other changes so it was not the only reason.

We have had some interest, provisional leads rather than anything concrete yet, but I think the idea of having a small technical admin team could work well. 

Working alongside our excellent financial administrator BEngo and forum moderators, almost too many to name.

Thanks

Daniel

21 hours ago, tree monkey said:

The thought had crossed my mind as well :);)

Monkey and Hound, very droll!

I hope you agree with me though. I don't remember people having a go at him.

36 minutes ago, Athy said:

Monkey and Hound, very droll!

I hope you agree with me though. I don't remember people having a go at him.

I think he was hounded a touch, along the lines of "it wasn't broke so why fix it" when updates to the software happened, it doubt much of it was personal but it could be interpreted as such 

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 2