Finding the right NB

Callum4878

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I'm sure the L&L short boats were 60ft x 14ft.

The lock keepers will not let you through with 64ft, as you'll be over the lock recommended length, they will not risk it.

KENNET the LLCS shortboat is 62ft x 14ft3in.

I can't remember RIBBLE's exact dimensions, but I bet @DRP knows them.

Dowley Gap is 64ft4in gate to gate, so you can just scrape a 64ft narrowboat through on the diagonal, not sharing.  No fenders, not half an inch longer but it's doable, at least uphill.

62ft narrowboats are a doddle, and can even share!  Anything over about 55ft is going to get wet on many of the locks though as I stated.  I have made people tape down deckboards on cruiser sterns before helping them down Wigan quite a few times, and have had quite a few free showers on longer boats at Bingley!

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Dowley Gap is 64ft4in gate to gate, so you can just scrape a 64ft narrowboat through on the diagonal, not sharing.  No fenders, not half an inch longer but it's doable, at least uphill.

62ft narrowboats are a doddle, and can even share!  Anything over about 55ft is going to get wet on many of the locks though as I stated.  I have made people tape down deckboards on cruiser sterns before helping them down Wigan quite a few times, and have had quite a few free showers on longer boats at Bingley!

I spoke to Kris who owns a short boat his is a whisker over 60 foot long, he says the length can vary a bit! 

24 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

So you work for CaRT manning the flights?

Yes I did share, but you get drenched and your bang against the cill to get the gates open, is it worth it? 

The CaRT guide for length on the L&L is 62ft so I doubt the manned locks by CaRT staff will let anything longer then that down as if anything goes wrong I doubt it would be insured and they will not risk it.

Edited by PD1964

7 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

So you work for CaRT manning the flights?

No. Do you?

8 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Yes I did share, but you get drenched and your bang against the cill to get the gates open, is it worth it? 

I think you misunderstood me - I was saying that a 64ft narrowboat you can't share locks from Wigan to Leeds, not that you didn't share. 

I agree you get wet in anything other than a trad with watertight stern doors, and sometimes even then!

I think the most important length to worry about on the Northern network is the 60ft6in (not the quoted 57ft) that is a fairly hard limit for the Calder & Hebble (when it's open!).  Even that involves doing Salterhebble middle lock backwards when going downhill. 

If you can't do the C&H then the Rochdale and the Hudd Narrow are out and back trips and you can't combine either with the Aire & Calder and the L&L so it very much restricts your routes.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

No. Do you?

I think you misunderstood me - I was saying that a 64ft narrowboat you can't share locks from Wigan to Leeds, not that you didn't share. 

I agree you get wet in anything other than a trad with watertight stern doors, and sometimes even then!

I think the most important length to worry about on the Northern network is the 60ft6in (not the quoted 57ft) that is a fairly hard limit for the Calder & Hebble (when it's open!).  Even that involves doing Salterhebble middle lock backwards when going downhill. 

If you can't do the C&H then the Rochdale and the Hudd Narrow are out and back trips and you can't combine either with the Aire & Calder and the L&L so it very much restricts your routes.

No, but I know they will not risk a boat over the CaRT lock length guide on a manned flight like Bingley, as if it goes wrong they would have to do a lot of explaining.

I have a 61ft6" and to be honest I would not recommended anything over 58ft, the hassle is not worth it. Its not worth risking your boat on locks where your on the limit, when a 57/58ft will do it hassle free.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I'm sure the L&L short boats were 60ft x 14ft.

The lock keepers will not let you through with 64ft, as you'll be over the lock recommended length, they will not risk it.

All sound advice, thanks for that. Planning on mooring at Rufford for first few months, so we have to be able to fit L&L.

1 hour ago, Callum4878 said:

All sound advice, thanks for that. Planning on mooring at Rufford for first few months, so we have to be able to fit L&L.

The L&L from Wigan to Liverpool actually has big locks that will easily take a 72 foot boat, its beyond Wigan that they get short. The locks on the Rufford branch are, by many accounts, quite big and a few people report squeazing some quite long boats through them, though not 70 footers.  The new locks on the Ribble link were built full length on the (questionable) basis that the Rufford locks could one day take full lengths boats with only some minor adjustments to gates and cills.

.................Dave