Stourport Ring, any recommendations?

Arjen Gerstel

Featured Posts

Hi,

We're hiring a boat out of Alvechurch, departing on sunday afternoon on June 8, 2008. We'd like to do the Stourport Ring.

This gives us a few options:

• Going clockwise or anti-clockwise.
  • Going through Wolverhampton or Stourbridge/Netherton tunnel

Possible considerations:

• (Not) Spending the weekend in Birmingham
  • Negotiating the Tardebigge flight at the start or the end of the trip
  • Good/safe moorings
  • Avoiding boat-jams
  • Visiting the Black Country Living Museum

I'd like to hear any opinions you might have.

Regards,

Arjen Gerstel

Netherlands

Hi Arjen, and welcome to the forum.

Have you done this before or will it be a new experience? You certainly sound like you know what you're talking about.

Personally, I'd go clockwise, that gives you a fairly easy run down to Worcester for the Severn, and means you would be going down Tardebigge on your last full day.

The Staffs & Worcs canal from Stourton Junction to Wolverhampton can be rather lovely (no, I'm not just biased because that's our home stretch, but think that makes us quite fortunate), and is more scenic than the Stourbridge & Dudley canals. Having said that, I quite like the Stourbridge too, and there would be less traffic that way. Netherton tunnel is wide, straight, high, and a bit boring

We have never moored overnight in Birmingham, so I can't comment on that, but apart from the Wolverhampton 21 locks, (which I would prefer to get through without stopping), you should find good and safe moorings anywhere on that ring.

There shouldn't be any major boat jams on that ring, certainly not in June, and the Black Country Museum is well worth a visit if you have time.

Hi Arjen, and welcome to the forum.

Personally, I'd go clockwise, that gives you a fairly easy run down to Worcester for the Severn, and means you would be going down Tardebigge on your last full day.

Don't you mean the first full day if he's going down from Alvechurch?

We have never moored overnight in Birmingham, so I can't comment on that, but apart from the Wolverhampton 21 locks, (which I would prefer to get through without stopping), you should find good and safe moorings anywhere on that ring.

Use the old main line from Wolverhampton to Birmingham, new one is boring and filthy.

Try and moor on the left just before the NIA / Sealife centre, it gets very noisy around the Mailbox until the early hours.

There shouldn't be any major boat jams on that ring, certainly not in June, and the Black Country Museum is well worth a visit if you have time.

Agreed the Black Country Museum is excellent and there are good mooring with showers etc.

Have a good trip

Ken

Sorry Ken, of course Alvechurch is above Tardebigge :mellow:

(Well I was posting at 1am).

So, if Arjen has done this before and isn't a stranger to locks, I'd still go clockwise.

With a Sunday pick-up (what time would that be?), and going anticlockwise, he probably wouldn't get as far as the Black Country Museum (where we've used the visitor moorings and toilet/shower block on two occasions), so would be mooring in Birmingham or on the outskirts. What's Gas Street like on a Sunday?

So, if Arjen has done this before and isn't a stranger to locks, I'd still go clockwise.

I'm not entirely new to narrowboating, I guess we'll be OK doing the Tardebigge flight on day 1.

With a Sunday pick-up (what time would that be?), and going anticlockwise, he probably wouldn't get as far as the Black Country Museum (where we've used the visitor moorings and toilet/shower block on two occasions), so would be mooring in Birmingham or on the outskirts. What's Gas Street like on a Sunday?

If we go clockwise we'd probably end up spending the night in/near Birmingham on the next friday and/or saturday.

Arjen

Funnily enough the last boat we hired was from Alvechurch and we did the ring anti-clockwise, two teenage girls, where did they want to go, shopping!

They let you have the boat from 2.30pm, say an hour for the handover should easily make the top lock and there are good mooring there.

We didn't set off untill around 4.00pm on the Saturday, just made Gas St before dark, moored up by the Mailbox. Big mistake, its a route to and from the clubs so busy until the early hours, and just to make it interesting some little scrote let the boat loose at 2.00 am. Still look on the bright side I did get wolf-wistled by three girls as I was retying it in my PJ's, mind you it was dark. Not been there on a Sunday evening but it was busy during the day, we went to the museum for Sunday night.

Best bet for mooring is around the back of the NIA.

:P

Oh! and it's an early night for you :lol:

Ken

Hi,

We're hiring a boat out of Alvechurch, departing on sunday afternoon on June 8, 2008. We'd like to do the Stourport Ring.

[both routes have their merits. Personally I'd go Stourbridge way, although you might need an appreciation of "industrial archaeology" to enjoy it!

Possible considerations:

• (Not) Spending the weekend in Birmingham
    I'd definitely recommend stopping in Birmingham. If you do so, the area on the New Main Line past the Sea Life Centre is quieter and more secure than Gas Street.

• Negotiating the Tardebigge flight at the start or the end of the trip
    Its still hard work whenever you do it, but the view is better if you go downhill
  • Good/safe moorings
    Birmingham (see above); Wolverhampton (Top Lock); Merry Hill (on the embankment overlooking Sainsbury's rather than the Waterfront; Black Country Museum. Kidderminster is generally not recommended, nor is anywhere between Compton (Staffs & Worcs) and Wolverhampton and Wolverhampton and Birmingham (except Black Country Museum).

• Avoiding boat-jams
    Shouldn't be any in June
  • Visiting the Black Country Living Museum
    Yes, as long as you have an interest in pre-1980s Industrial Britain

I'd like to hear any opinions you might have.

Regards,

Arjen Gerstel

Netherlands

I don't know why, but I would always go anti-clockwise!

Birmingham safe IF you know where to moor. Gas Street etc noisy until the small hours. Cambrian Wharf lovely and quiet, the first loop also quiet as not a main walking route.

You would get the gorgeous route up from Worcester on the last couple of days and the fantastic Carvery (if you like them £6.95 for gutbusting everything) at the Boat and Railway in Stoke Works.

I think the Wolverhampton route is probably too long for a week - but would be good fun. Stourbrige and Dudley canals are interesting if a bit industrial. Blowers Green is a good place to moor if you don't mind traffic noise. About half and hour from the bottom of the Stoubridge 16 the mooring is really pretty with fields rolling fields on left and wood on right. Towpath quite busy with joggers. We always find that the Staffy is pretty busy after after the quiet of the Stourbridge and Dudley Canals. First pub on left into Stourport (Bird in Hand?) does simple evening meals and the beer is AWESOME - locals friendly too.

Just past the leisure centre in Worcester there are nice moorings - saw watervoles and nice family of ducks here.

Sorry I whittered on a bit...

Edited by Webchem

First pub on left into Stourport (Bird in Hand?) does simple evening meals and the beer is AWESOME - locals friendly too.

Stopped there once, never again. Thought the food prices seemed sensible, but then saw the portions. One of those places where you look at each other and say "is that it?"

And wasn't someone killed there recently?

Stopped there once, never again. Thought the food prices seemed sensible, but then saw the portions. One of those places where you look at each other and say "is that it?"

And wasn't someone killed there recently?

Not a great pub, best pubs are at greensforge and wolverley locks respectiveley

Edited by m589

We have just come back from a week out of Alvechurch on NB Little Swift

We have hired several times before from Alvechurch and got on the boat at 2.30pm with about half an hour for the hand over but last year there was an American couple before us & who needed quite a bit of instruction and we didn't get out until about 4.30pm.

We didn't do the Stourport Ring but got up to Stourport Basin where we moored by the wall, near the BW water point.

Theres loads of Damsons in the hedges up from Worcester - nice for a crumble!

On our return we came up the Tardebigge flight. We started the flight at 11.22am Tardebigge Bottom Lock and finished at 2.16pm at Tardebigge Top Lock - thats 30 locks in 2 hours 54 minutes. We took it in turns to drive 6 locks each in turns and 3 of us to do the 'lock wheeling'. Only met 2 boats coming down but some locks were empty, some full - the locks are being repaired.

We moored just before Alvechurch that last night on a bit of a mud bank before Bridge 59.

Have a great time!

We can help here, we did the Stourport ring last October starting from Stoke Prior.

Would advise you to go around clock wise as it makes the Tardebigge flight easier There are visitor mooring between the first2 locks.

We moored at Dunhamstead.

When you are coming off the seven into Stourport make sure there is enough water in the second lock of the staircase.

Good moorings on the Staffs and Worcester are at Wolverley or Kinver.

We went by the Netherton tunnel so cannot tell you anything about Wolverhampton but we did moor in Birmingham without any problems.

Moor any where between the national sea life centre and the mail box, but as someone else has said by the mail box can be noisy.

Don't moor around Kings Norton or Kidderminster.

We also moored on the seven below lock 3 on the camp house floating jetty (we broke down but that's another story) if you want to know any more just let us know.

Sorry if this might look odd or if I have missed some thing out but I am hopeless at writing things down

• 4 months later...

I'm planning to do the Stourport Ring this April, and this thread contains answers to all the questions I wanted to ask! :lol:

We're starting from Stoke Prior, and will be going anti-clockwise, straight up Tardebigge locks.

Just to recap, it seems the general feeling is:

Take the slightly longer route through Wolverhampton

Take the BCN old main line rather than the new main line

Stop at the Black Country Living museum as it's good

Mooring in and around Birmingham isn't as bad as I thought it might be (except Kings Norton!)

The Boaters Guides from Waterscape have a worrying number of warnings about stone throwing from bridges, so I guess you just need to pick your mooring points with care. (Didn't have to worry about stuff like this on the Llangollen and Montgomery canals! :) )

Also we've never been on a river before. There's nothing to unduly worry about is there?

Is there anything else we should be considering?

TIA

Arjen,

Whichever way you go have a good time. The best part of the ring for me is the Staffs & Worcs. Do as much of it as you can fit in (ie take in the Wolverhampton 21 instead of cutting through the Netherton Tunnel). Try and schedule in to stop at Wolverley and have a meal at The Lock pub for a great meal. You won't be disappointed. Good moorings above or below the lock.

Good Luck

Mac

Arjen,

Whichever way you go have a good time. The best part of the ring for me is the Staffs & Worcs. Do as much of it as you can fit in (ie take in the Wolverhampton 21 instead of cutting through the Netherton Tunnel). Try and schedule in to stop at Wolverley and have a meal at The Lock pub for a great meal. You won't be disappointed. Good moorings above or below the lock.

Good Luck

Mac

Would agree about wolverley..

When we did it, it was our first time on a river as well, it is not scary at all we enjoyed it in fact

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone,

We are also planning the Stourport Ring this August. From Gailey - anti clockwise as hoping to get past Wightwick after picking the boat up on Saturday. However still unsure about mooring overnight in centre of B'ham. If the Mailbox very noisy is the NIA the best choice on a Thursday night? Is there likely to be a problem finding space? I think the Black Country Museum will be too far. Any more advice from anybody?

Stefan

Hello Everyone,

We are also planning the Stourport Ring this August. From Gailey - anti clockwise as hoping to get past Wightwick after picking the boat up on Saturday. However still unsure about mooring overnight in centre of B'ham. If the Mailbox very noisy is the NIA the best choice on a Thursday night? Is there likely to be a problem finding space? I think the Black Country Museum will be too far. Any more advice from anybody?

Stefan

I'd stop in central B'ham if I were you. Stopped there for 2 days last year (Thursday/Friday) and it was fine, so we'll do the same again this year. It was busy, but not too noisy (even though we were moored right outside a nightclub!). I guess the CCTV system helps, and the nightclub bouncers were more than happy to keep an eye on the boat.

If you want peace and tranquility, it's probably not for you, but if you like pubs, restaurants and a bit of nightlife it's not to be missed.

I think the Black Country Museum will be too far. Any more advice from anybody?

The BCM is about 3hrs crusing + 3locks from central Birmingham. Go the old line as its fractionally quicker!

Hello Everyone,

Stefan

Have moored in both parts of Birmingham that you mention. Between the Mailbox and Broad Street can be quite noisy. I'd always suggest going round the corner and stopping near the NIA/Sealife Centre. It's much quieter, because it's residential. There are also more mooring spaces there, as you can use either side of the canal.

Been through Brum 3 times over the last ten years. The very centre is quite safe, though mooring spaces can be limited. Outside the centre we've stayed at the Black country museum.

Aiming to do the Stourport+Avon rings in two weeks (will be recording it too) from this weekend

Just discovered this forum.

We completed the Stourport Ring last week, clockwise, on a 11 day trip, including an extension down and up the Stratford Canal. We had booked a Viking Afloat boat, hence we started and finished at Lowesmoor Basin in Worcester.

We moored in B'ham right in Gas Street Basin on a Thursday night. Felt safe and was rather quiet.

The night before we tied up at the Wolverhampton 21 between locks 19 and 18. Wasn't the intention but we had sunk the handcuff key and it required a bit of a walk to get a replacement. Anyway, apart from a half-drunk bloke claiming to work for BW and telling stories about illegal mooring no one harmed or plagued us. (The real BW people are quite different and always friendly and helpful.)

On the Main Line the only "event" happened at the Smethwick Middle Lock where two or three kids insisted on riding the roof down the lock. They seemed pretty harmless and our front door was locked. We didn't intervene too much and let them have their fun.

At the north end of Wast Hill Tunnel while waiting for an oncoming boat we recovered a good piece of chain link fence from the canal including a bicycle which was wrapped into it.

Tardebigge Flight excluding the top lock (lunch break near the engine house) took us 3 hours with only two of us working the locks. Well, I felt a bit exhausted afterwards.

Roland