Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

Painting in progress: Queen's Silver Jubilee year 1977. I'm not strongly pro or anti Royalty - I was changing my colour scheme and it was more for graphic imagery reasons

Tam

Tow.stands.1977.jpg

Edited by Tam & Di

10 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2011

spacer.png

The Old Barge pub is the building with the brick chimney by the railings

l

The Barge was a frequent haunt of mine while I was doing my teacher training course after university. It was at that time a simple two-roomed pub, run by an ex - R.N. purser and his wife, and we used to play bar billiards there. It was greatly extended in later years.

I remember the bridge as being hump-backed rather than flat. Perhaps there were two bridges.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

The Barge was a frequent haunt of mine while I was doing my teacher training course after university. It was at that time a simple two-roomed pub, run by an ex - R.N. purser and his wife, and we used to play bar billiards there. It was greatly extended in later years.    I remember the bridge as being hump-backed rather than flat. Perhaps there were two bridges.

spacer.png

LeeEndOfNavigation.jpg.1e9d7a5bb122f146ca144797cf979382.jpg

Yes, this view from the winding-hole shows it is a flat bridge. The nice Mr Google shows Bull Plain Bridge (the bridge of the road called Bull Plain) on street views since 2009, and also the other local bridges as flat. On our trip we had insufficient time to sample the beer ...

Edited by PeterScott
spelling
  • Greenie 1

This just shows how the memory can play tricks over an almost 50-year period. From your last photo, I recognise the view instantly, having walked across that bridge dozens of times. It looks as if the road surface is still cobbled, or rather what the French call "pavé", too. I do wonder if the parapet was rebuilt at some point.

Thanks again for the memories.

On this day in 1980

spacer.png

Dukinfield Junction Ashton Canal  Compare  #3757 (2008)   #2604 #2605 (2009)   #2358 (2014)

spacer.png

Portland Basin Aqueduct, close to the junction: end of parapets just visible on extreme left of the junction image, and looking towards Stalybridge

spacer.png

On this day in 2011

spacer.png

On this day in 2018

spacer.png

spacer.pngCamden Locks Regents Canal.

Reports of large plastic bag around the prop.

and some gongoozlers

spacer.png

Edited by PeterScott
extra pic