sterling invertor/charger

matrix

Featured Posts

.............if they don't play ball, ultimately there is only the legal path

Which brings us neatly back to my ealier post, viz;

Regardless of the warranty package offered or claimed, if a particular manufacturer or re-badger doesn't perform following a valid warranty claim, running around claiming things inter alia 'from a legal standpoint' counts for very little unless you have the time, money and patience to go to law. I would much prefer to hear of excellent customer service and reliability rather than legal recourse and/or redress, but then I'm just a simple Womble

I feel like I have just wasted a precious half hour of my existance :mellow:

Which brings us neatly back to my ealier post, viz;

Regardless of the warranty package offered or claimed, if a particular manufacturer or re-badger doesn't perform following a valid warranty claim, running around claiming things inter alia 'from a legal standpoint' counts for very little unless you have the time, money and patience to go to law. I would much prefer to hear of excellent customer service and reliability rather than legal recourse and/or redress, but then I'm just a simple Womble

I feel like I have just wasted a precious half hour of my existance :mellow:

Since that's all obvious to everyone, why DID you waste your time?

Hi,i am , like MATRIX , ready to spend my hard eaned on an electrical system. i will have 12volt fridge and freezer , pumps and lighting (led) . 240volt , tv , saniflo, microwave ,

If i fit the victron 12-3000-120.what else do i need ? is there a link to show me?how many batteries ?a simple diagram?

so yeah, i still need info any links i can go to?

Would some one help this lady, it is beyond my knowledge, so cannot advise.

so yeah, i still need info any links i can go to?

The best thing to do first is to do what is known as a "power audit", viz: note down the power in watts each appliance uses and an estimate of how many hours per day each appliance will be ON. eg: a typical 12v fridge (not a freezer) will be about 50W and therefore will draw 4 amps and be ON about 50% of the time. Therefore, over a day the product of amps and hours (known surprisingly as "Ampere Hours") would equal for the fridge 4 x 24/2 = 48AH

Once we know the likely total of daily use, one can then start to determine how many batteries etc are needed. Your charger will cope well when you have shore power but we also need to know what size alternator you have and your typical daily cruising pattern to determine whether you can run all that you want in terms of appliances etc.

Add up everything including pumps (which are typically about 10A), lights about 1-2 amps each etc etc

Chris

Would some one help this lady, it is beyond my knowledge, so cannot advise.

We can supply all the bits to do it but it is going to get complex if MATRIX isn't sure what she needs. The full kit including everything would be simple but most people only want the bits they can't source themselves.

Also we are really looking at an AC system here rather than just inverter/charger. If it is a case of MATRIX or another person being competent installing it then that is fine, but I don't feel happy selling kits that require a reasonable amount of understanding and skills to people who might end up killing themselves or others.

If Matrix would like a list of what she will require I can put that together for her happily but I would always reccomend careful consideration of who is going to carry out the installation.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but I see a lot of bodged and potentially dangerous boats where the owners egoes are far larger than their actual abilities.

Edited by Gary Peacock

We can supply all the bits to do it but it is going to get complex if MATRIX isn't sure what she needs. The full kit including everything would be simple but most people only want the bits they can't source themselves.

Also we are really looking at an AC system here rather than just inverter/charger. If it is a case of MATRIX or another person being competent installing it then that is fine, but I don't feel happy selling kits that require a reasonable amount of understanding and skills to people who might end up killing themselves or others.

If Matrix would like a list of what she will require I can put that together for her happily but I would always reccomend careful consideration of who is going to carry out the installation.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but I see a lot of bodged and potentially dangerous boats where the owners egoes are far larger than their actual abilities.

Surely not Gary, we have the wise council of those that have studied books and pontificate at great length, using lots of long words very often, and, occasional Latin surfaces in their posts (always in my view a sign of a superior mind). Clearly they should be congratulated for their portenteous, self important tone and blind encouragement to the D.I.Y mains electrician.

Surely not Gary, we have the wise council of those that have studied books and pontificate at great length, using lots of long words very often, and, occasional Latin surfaces in their posts (always in my view a sign of a superior mind). Clearly they should be congratulated for their portenteous, self important tone and blind encouragement to the D.I.Y mains electrician.

How sad and debilitating it must be to have such a large chip on your shoulder because you feel yourself to be of an inferior class. If only you were OOU. ;)

Edited by chris w

How sad and debilitating it must be to have such a large chip on your shoulder because you feel yourself to be of an inferior class. If only you were OOU. ;)

The thought of being One of You fills me with fear and loathing Chrissy babes. I'll keep my chip thanks. At least as a human bean I am not UFP. :banghead:

Isnt nice on here when someone asks for some honest advice then it turns into a "I'm cleverer than you debate!!"

For what its worth I would go victron/mastervolt......no electromechanical object can be faultless but a good back up and service department is worth the extra cost....BTW if the location of where your inverter is allows it to get to 40 degrees C then its in the wrong place if you use it in the UK!

Have fun

Gareth

Isnt nice on here when someone asks for some honest advice then it turns into a "I'm cleverer than you debate!!"

For what its worth I would go victron/mastervolt......no electromechanical object can be faultless but a good back up and service department is worth the extra cost....BTW if the location of where your inverter is allows it to get to 40 degrees C then its in the wrong place if you use it in the UK!

Have fun

Gareth

You are of course quite correct however as everyone knows, I am as thick as pig-poo and have never posited otherwise

You are of course quite correct however as everyone knows, I am as thick as pig-poo and have never posited otherwise

At least you're honest about your shortcomings ;)

BTW if the location of where your inverter is allows it to get to 40 degrees C then its in the wrong place if you use it in the UK!Gareth

You're making the mistake of assuming the 40degC means ambient. It doesn't, it means inverter temperature. If you have an inverter with a remote readout display, it will no doubt display case temperature - check it out. On any day after running the inverter for some time the case temperature will be in the 30's C. An inverter will dissipate over 10% of its power output plus its standing loss so it gets very warm. Add to this a hot day and an enclosed space (eg: cupboard, engine bay etc) and you will be significantly above the 25degC rating figure.

From an engineering perspective, it is always prudent to take the 40degC figure.

Chris

Edited by chris w

At least you're honest about your shortcomings ;)

You're making the mistake of assuming the 40degC means ambient. It doesn't, it means inverter temperature. If you have an inverter with a remote readout display, it will no doubt display case temperature - check it out. On any day after running the inverter for some time the case temperature will be in the 30's C. An inverter will dissipate over 10% of its power output plus its standing loss so it gets very warm. Add to this a hot day and an enclosed space (eg: cupboard, engine bay etc) and you will be significantly above the 25degC rating figure.

From an engineering perspective, it is always prudent to take the 40degC figure.

Chris

Actually Chris it *is* the ambient temperature. It is not the inverter temperature. It is the temperature of the air being drawn into the ventilation ducts/slots.

The internal high temperature cutout on most inverters operates at 65 deg C.

I agree with the other poster that if an inverter is drawing in cooling air at 40 deg C in the UK then the inverter has been installed in the wrong place.

Gibbo

Edited by Gibbo

Actually Chris it *is* the ambient temperature. It is not the inverter temperature. It is the temperature of the air being drawn into the ventilation ducts/slots.

The internal high temperature cutout on most inverters operates at 65 deg C.

I agree with the other poster that if an inverter is drawing in cooling air at 40 deg C in the UK then the inverter has been installed in the wrong place.

Gibbo

Thanks Gibbo, good to hear from a professional who has a depth of understanding gained 'on the job', rather than the usual quoting of 'received wisdom' and pointless point scoring for a change.

jesus ive changed sex without even knowing it!!!!

but no gary im not doing any of the fit out myself

its all being done by a boat builders its just i get to choose what bits they will be fitting!