Hard Winter?

Maverick

Featured Posts

Hard winter? :- 1963, it snowed on Boxing day with 12 foot drifts. The water supply to our house froze, and we had to boil snow. The weather from then until sometime in March was clear blue skies and temperatures rarely above freezing even midday. Near the end of March we got our water back but there was still plenty of snow lying. Great fun - three monthsof sledging.

The last decent winter we had in Ireland was 1981 AFAIR. Snow about 12" on the roads. Great fun driving a Mini. Now if theres a heavy frost the country grinds to a halt as motorists are not used to slippery conditions and run into each other all over the place.

AH... the good ol' days...

Talking of hard winters, I've been glugging diluted antifreeze into the central heating header tank like a good'un - but what's to stop the water tank in the bow and the waterpipes there freezing in the winter? Does that ever happen (don't fancy putting antifreeze in the tapwater! :(:smiley_offtopic: ) or will it stay above freezing point being mostly below the water level? :)

I think the fact that you're living on it over the winter and so using it all the time, water running in and out of pipes etc. also makes it much less likely to freeze.

Meg

My normal week camping in wet Wales got cancelled this year due to the flooding. Boat booked in for a blacking, and us for a week's camping and it was all underwater. Shame as there are some beautiful places. Betws-y-coed being one of my faviourites.

Welcome to the forum Paul and Vicki, will look forward to your trip report as we would like to do the Warwickshire ring next year when we have finsihed all this painting!!

Thanks for the welcome. :smiley_offtopic:

he last decent winter we had in Ireland was 1981 AFAIR. Snow about 12" on the roads. Great fun driving a Mini. Now if theres a heavy frost the country grinds to a halt as motorists are not used to slippery conditions and run into each other all over the place.

Now that still makes me laugh

2 years ago I was living on a small seaboat in a marina on the NE coast and had temps of -10 and a good 18" of snow on the decks and pontoons. It made walking to the shower blockalong the pontoons which stand in metres of water!!!!

I had icicles INSIDE the boat in the mornings.

I moved out to Spain and enjoyed mild weather and rain in Murcia but moved south last year to Granada.

Last winter we had over 3ft of snow here!! :)

:smiley_offtopic:

The last decent winter we had in Ireland was 1981 AFAIR. Snow about 12" on the roads. Great fun driving a Mini. Now if theres a heavy frost the country grinds to a halt as motorists are not used to slippery conditions and run into each other all over the place.

We only need 1cm of snow in Greater Manchester and the whole road network grinds to a halt. That's hardly a 'hard winter'! Makes me glad I work from home.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

The last really serious snow I can remember was in about 1990 in Brum (give or take a year or two). I was delivering papers through 18 inches or so of snow, drifting to 3 feet or so in places. (IIRC, I was the only paperboy to show up for work that morning, so I ended up doing an extra round on top of what I'd normally do).

I don't worry so much about frosts, the heaters will take care of that (although it makes cycling to work difficult).

I don't want another winter like the last one. We were flooded for weeks on end, it was a major PITA getting on and off the boat. Once or twice is novel. Weeks are not. I'm not sure which was worse, ferrying jerrycans of diesel or ferrying the kids.

I think that perceptions about hard winters can depend on where you live. If you listen to the traffic reports on the radio, Snow drift blockages are broadcast every year on the Snake Pass but most people don't know where that is. Trouble is that with all the National Radio and TV programmes being produced in London, they have no real perception of what the weather is actually like in the rest of the country so the presenters just refer to how the weather has been in the South East.

Since we have been living in Wiltshire, I can only recall two hard winters, but when we lived in Derbyshire we got one every year. February 1979 was particularly memorable with snow drifts near Hartington on the Ashbourne to Buxton road over 20ft deep. I know, I had to turn back to Ashbourne and go through Derby, and that took six hours following Snow ploughs most of the way. It wasnt even reported on the radio, because they had two inches of snow in London, which was clearly far more interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Thick frost in Stoke on Trent this morning and its only September. Its coming :D:lol:

Remember last year I had trouble locating Antifreeze that hadnt already been diluted. Most places seem to prefer selling it ready mixed now. Guess thats cause ther's more profit in water.

I estimate I shall need 2 gallons, got around 6 gallon water capacity (whats the recommended dilution mix.) Any ideas for cheap suppliers?

needs to be a bit more sexed up!

Mmmm! I have detailed intelligence baby, feel the depth of that detailed intelligence, I know you like it reeaal deep. Now I gonna get all authoratative on ya baby, doncha like it authoratative? deeeep and authoratative. I gonna get reeaal deeep, reeaal slow, and love you all up with my HARD winter! Can you feel that hard winter? That's a hard winter of mass destruction baby, and it's coming all over in 45 minutes.

Is that better Prime Minister?

Mmmm! I have detailed intelligence baby, feel the depth of that detailed intelligence, I know you like it reeaal deep. Now I gonna get all authoratative on ya baby, doncha like it authoratative? deeeep and authoratative. I gonna get reeaal deeep, reeaal slow, and love you all up with my HARD winter! Can you feel that hard winter? That's a hard winter of mass destruction baby, and it's coming all over in 45 minutes.

Is that better Prime Minister?

yup! I can feel it! My gonads'll freeze!

Thick frost in Stoke on Trent this morning and its only September. Its coming :D:D

Remember last year I had trouble locating Antifreeze that hadnt already been diluted. Most places seem to prefer selling it ready mixed now. Guess thats cause ther's more profit in water.

I estimate I shall need 2 gallons, got around 6 gallon water capacity (whats the recommended dilution mix.) Any ideas for cheap suppliers?

Screwfix trade counters, got some last week, about £8.50 for 5 litres. Don't know if that's cheap or not, but their trade counter is quite handy for me.

You can't find it in the index, it's in the Automotive section.

Edited by Big Steve

A pretty safe thing to do predicting extreme weather, if you are wrong it all gets forgotten about, if you happen to be right, or even partially right you are a hero with supernatural powers.

Incidentally I run a little business, for a miserable £5 I will predict the sex of your next child or grandchild.. So confident am I in my predictions I will guarantee to refund your fiver if I am wrong.

A pretty safe thing to do predicting extreme weather, if you are wrong it all gets forgotten about, if you happen to be right, or even partially right you are a hero with supernatural powers.

Incidentally I run a little business, for a miserable £5 I will predict the sex of your next child or grandchild.. So confident am I in my predictions I will guarantee to refund your fiver if I am wrong.

Sounds good to me John. I'll have a fiver's worth.

Trigger

Sounds good to me John. I'll have a fiver's worth.

Trigger

i wouldnt bother. He didnt predict my grandchild correct and as for the fiver he was last seen running down the street towards the chippy waving it in the air shouting "another peas an pudding please enid"

I don't think much of your business sense JO

You haven't taken inflation into consideration properlyç

I used to charge 15 bob for such predictions :D:D

(I tried typing 15/- but it didn't work)

Edited to say "OH YES IT DID!)

Edited by tidal