Narrow Launch Kingfisher

Byeckerslike

Featured Posts

Hi,

We are wondering if anyone has information on a boat that we saw on the Ashby 25th August 2007. The boat was called Kingfisher and was very Edwardian and gracefull. I cannot call it a narrowboat, for it had a vertical Prow, with centre cockpit, complete with wheel - not a tiller. The boat was all wooden and painted white. The owners/occupiers informed us that it was built in 1920. They had moored up and were picnicking in style!

B)

Hi,

We are wondering if anyone has information on a boat that we saw on the Ashby 25th August 2007. The boat was called Kingfisher and was very Edwardian and gracefull. I cannot call it a narrowboat, for it had a vertical Prow, with centre cockpit, complete with wheel - not a tiller. The boat was all wooden and painted white. The owners/occupiers informed us that it was built in 1920. They had moored up and were picnicking in style!

B)

I passed it on the Northern Oxford last weekend, I last saw it about 25 years ago in London. I used to moor at Lisson Grove and it was owned by the family that ran the moorings there and at Cumberland Basin the other side of the zoo. In fact that is where they kept it moored. I seem to remember her name was Mary but I can't recall their surname. I never saw them move it, but know it was their pride & joy.

I might be wrong but seem to think it was built for the canal company board of directors to allow them to do an annual tour of inspection(?) My addled brain also thinks it was built on the south coast or even the Isle of Wight (????)

It certainly looks splendid now and can only assume the current owner has deep pockets.

There is a sepia type photo of her doing her stuff in one of those little paperback history books you can get in chandleries, it might be The George & Mary which is the story of the Grand Union Canal Carrying Co.

I'm sure somebody else will know and be able to correct my failing memory ......... have I had my tea yet?

zenataomm

Kingfisher

built at Cowes by J.S.White in 1928, out of wood, for the directors of the GUCCCo Ltd to carry out their annual inspection of the system. It had, as was the custom at the time, a large rope cutter at the fore end which could cut through the towlines of any boats that came across it. I believe it was originally horse drawn with teams of mules used to haul it around, it had no accomodation the directors staying in the best local hotels overnight while on their tour. The Horse drawn bit could be me getting confused with LADT HATHERTON, the Staffs and Worcs Company inspection launch which was definitely horse drawn for many years.

Some pictures of sister boats/ships fromt he same yard can be found here it is strange when you see the fine lines and daintiness of KINGFISHER in comparison with some of the other boats built at the time by Whites.

Kingfisher

built at Cowes by J.S.White in 1928, out of wood, for the directors of the GUCCCo Ltd to carry out their annual inspection of the system. It had, as was the custom at the time, a large rope cutter at the fore end which could cut through the towlines of any boats that came across it. I believe it was originally horse drawn with teams of mules used to haul it around, it had no accomodation the directors staying in the best local hotels overnight while on their tour. The Horse drawn bit could be me getting confused with LADT HATHERTON, the Staffs and Worcs Company inspection launch which was definitely horse drawn for many years.

Some pictures of sister boats/ships fromt he same yard can be found here it is strange when you see the fine lines and daintiness of KINGFISHER in comparison with some of the other boats built at the time by Whites.

I think Andy is getting a bit confused here with the Lady Hatherton and Duchess Countess. Kingfisher was built for the Grand Junction Canal Company as far as I know as a petrol or TVO engined inspection launch. Apparantly it was built on the IOW, towed over to Southampton and then put on a train to Brentford where it was craned in. It lasted with BW until about 1970 when it was sold to be restored privately. Owned for a time by Mary Turner who operated moorings in London it is now the pride and joy of Alan Paine who keeps it at his marina (Kingfisher Marina!) at Yardley Gobion near Stoke Bruerne.

Paul H

I think Andy is getting a bit confused here with the Lady Hatherton and Duchess Countess. Kingfisher was built for the Grand Junction Canal Company as far as I know as a petrol or TVO engined inspection launch. Apparantly it was built on the IOW, towed over to Southampton and then put on a train to Brentford where it was craned in. It lasted with BW until about 1970 when it was sold to be restored privately. Owned for a time by Mary Turner who operated moorings in London it is now the pride and joy of Alan Paine who keeps it at his marina (Kingfisher Marina!) at Yardley Gobion near Stoke Bruerne.

Paul H

Thanks for that Paul, I am astonished that my recollections were so accurate, now if only I could remember where I put my slippers B)

zenataomm

Cheers Paul, I wasnt at all sure on the engine front like I say I knew LH was horse drawn but I suppose the wheel steering amidships should have pointed out that KINGFISHER was always powered.

Is the marina named after the boat does anyone know?

LOL, thanks Paul. Unfortunately the closest I got to a GU motor was a sausage sandwich with HP sauce and even that these days is made abroad!!

One of these days I shall have me a proper boat, for now I shal continue with the Radio Controlled and smaller versions.

Hope you are well.

Is the marina named after the boat does anyone know?

I seem to recall that the Kingfisher was also the first boat in the marina.....and for a while was marooned there after BW firstly sunk a workboat, then later, sheet piled across the entrance......whilst the courts decided that the Lord of the Manor no longer had the right to build a wharf or basin on his property.

• 1 month later...

Paul H

We met Kingfisher on the Shroppie in 1963 with Mr Marsh of BW on holiday. We admired the lovely lines and he liked Vesta's conversion and decoration. Max

• 1 year later...
We met Kingfisher on the Shroppie in 1963 with Mr Marsh of BW on holiday. We admired the lovely lines and he liked Vesta's conversion and decoration. Max

Kingfisher was bought from BWB by tender by my father, Michael Rabett, who had her competely restored at a boatyard at Dedham, Essex by a chap called Fred. I can't remember his name, but she was stripped down to the ribs and completely rebuilt over 3 years. He sold her eventually through ill health in about 1986 I think, after many happy years and alot of brass cleaning!

Good to hear she is still in good shape.

Justin

Kingfisher was bought from BWB by tender by my father, Michael Rabett, who had her competely restored at a boatyard at Dedham, Essex by a chap called Fred. I can't remember his name, but she was stripped down to the ribs and completely rebuilt over 3 years. He sold her eventually through ill health in about 1986 I think, after many happy years and alot of brass cleaning!

Good to hear she is still in good shape.

Justin

I met Kingfisher at the top of Atherstone in the mid '70s. Your dad had mislaid his windlass, and I "lent" him one. Despite promises to return it, he never did! I think a glass or so of Davenports' at the "Maids of the Mill"might have been involved.....

In the late 1960s and early 1970s Kingfisher was regularly berthed outside BW's Bulbourne works on Tring Summit.

Whilst not in the immaculate condition that it is now kept, it always looked pretty well presented, and certainly not bad for a wooden boat dumped outside in all weathers.

However I don't think BW directors did many tours of inspection, so it moved very little.

All this seems to fit well with a sighting I had in Berko when first nosing around the cut. I was looking across at Bridgewater Boats in the late seventies, and saw a rather elegant stern poking out the end of the slipway. I walked around and introduced myself to Mike Foster who was working on the boat. He told me it was the Inspection Launch for the Canal Company. This may have been sometime during Mary's ownership, or perhaps in a phase of changing ownership.

Nice to see it fully restored and cared for.

Another beautiful wooden boat that lived near Yardley Gobion was called "Brown Mouse". I last saw it at Baxters yard (next to Kingfisher Marina) several years ago. Does anybody know what became of it?

Brown Mouse was a stunner and no mistake. I've only seen her twice. The first time was on the Southern Oxford in the late 60's I think; and then on an offside mooring on the GU between Braunston and Napton in the middle 70's

Any photos anyone?

Kingfisher

built at Cowes by J.S.White in 1928, out of wood, for the directors of the GUCCCo Ltd

May I be a pedant and note here (it's an interesting historical fact!) that Kingfisher was ordered by the Grand Junction Canal Company - but delivered to the Grand Union Canal Company, the merger having been made in the interim period of the boat being built.

I remember the boat being docked at the Paint Dock at Bulls Bridge by BW some time in the late 1980s. We were outside preparing to leave with one of the waterbuses that had just come off the dock, and Kingfisher was settling onto the baulks as the water drained out of the dock. Shortly there was the sound of a big 'crash' and we went in to the dock again to find that Kingfisher had fallen over on her side. She had a round bilge! The dock was quickly refilled, the boat righted and props positioned to keep the boat upright as the water was drained out once more ...

Steve

• 6 years later...