Starter battery help please

Featured Posts

Hi all

My starter battery dies last weekend (managed to keep going jumping it from the leisure) - tested and was 12.2 from the multi

Assume this is therefore dead as 

A its quite old

B I am sure the charging is ok as had new alternators etc in last year and leisure are ok

Can anyone advise me on what starter battery I need to get? Ideally from somewhere like Halfords (as there is one near me) not bothered about cost - want it to work and be low maintainance

Engine is an old (1993) Thornycroft Mistubishi K3D

One that fits in the same space as the existing one, has the same terminals ideally, in a location that the cables will reach too. Read the CCA on the current battery, and if it has been acceptable, try and match the new one to that.

I would also check it actually is charging before condemning it.

Edited by rusty69

18 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I would also check it actually is charging before condemning it.

Yup. “I’ve had a new alternator fitted” doesn’t mean squat. Check the battery voltage with the engine running; you’ve said it’s 12.2V stopped, so does it rise to 14.4V when the engine is running?

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yup. “I’ve had a new alternator fitted” doesn’t mean squat. Check the battery voltage with the engine running; you’ve said it’s 12.2V stopped, so does it rise to 14.4V when the engine is running?

Seconded. 

Most of us have at some time or other (usually earlier in life!) bought a new battery only to find the symptoms return after a couple of weeks, because the old one was not being charged by the engine. The "14.4v with engine running" is the way to check it is being charged. 

Even so, in my experience quite a flat a battery with 12.2v on the terminals at rest will still start an engine perfectly well. The voltage at rest test just tells you the state of charge, not whether the batt is knackered. I suggest you measure the terminal voltage with the key in the 'engine starting' position (prolly need two of you). Tell us the terminal voltage you get when the engine ought to be turning over but isn't.

And matching the battery format, i.e. height, length, width, and terminal layout is actually very important when replacing a battery. Batteries often have a three digit 'format code' marked on them (e.g. 687) for you to use when matching a new one one up.

The 12.2V is a pretty meaningless measurement. On the face of it that battery is a true nearly 50% charged. I bet if you measured it while cranking it would be 8 volts or less. Also measure on the lead posts, not the terminals because dirty or loose battery terminals will prevent the engine starting.

22 hours ago, MartynG said:

Perhaps a Yuasa HSB110 from Halfords.

5 year guarantee.

actually got this one and fitting tomorrow (delayed going to boat). Even if there is a charging problem (which there might be and I know what to look for) the existing battery is a number of years old before I got the boat 2 years ago so - hey.