Strongest recommendation, fit smoke alarms

Featured Posts

The BSS has moved to make its strongest recommendation that boats with overnight accommodation are fitted with at least one suitable and effective smoke alarm. The hope is to persuade boaters to use smoke alarms as part of their fire action plan to aid detection and ultimately escape from fire.

see www.boatsafetyscheme.com/fire/

Why only recommend? Why not just say "All boats (of a certain type, perhaps?) must have a fire alarm that meets xxxxx standards." - It's not like they're hard to get or to fit.

First 'change' I did to my boat was to fit two smoke alarms and a CO detector.

We received a pre paid postcard regarding boat safety, filled it in as requested and posted it to Cheshire Fire Service on Wednesday 23rd May 2007.

The card was sent out from the Manchester Ship Canal Company to Bridgewater Canal boat owners.

Still awaiting a reply.

Steve

I bought a couple many years ago, having fitted them in every concievable location to get them to function reliably I gave up and took them home. The damned things would kick off at the slightest provacation, light the stove, ignite a gas ring, light a fag and off they would go.

I hope others have had better luck than me.

Exactly same experience John. Every time I made toast, boiled the kettle, lit the stove etc I would always end up taking the batteries of the smoke alarm out to save me from being deafened. However I do have a CO alarm and that one is great, and has already proven itself.

we have one on the first floor landing as recommended.

if anyone has a shower in the family bathroom and opens the door the alarm goes off.

solution - battery has been removed.

question is - is there a less sensitive type of alarm that will serve the purpose?

if anyone has a shower in the family bathroom and opens the door the alarm goes off.

solution - battery has been removed.

question is - is there a less sensitive type of alarm that will serve the purpose?

We specify 'heat detectors' for kitchens to avoid false alarms, 240v hardwired items tho, not sure if they come battery operated but a quick google should tell you.

[

The one we got free has a 7 minuit override button so it gives time to make Toast or Bacon Butties without going off. That is if you remenber to set it before you start cooking. Not had any problems with the solid fuel stove though. <_<

I bought a couple many years ago, having fitted them in every concievable location to get them to function reliably I gave up and took them home. The damned things would kick off at the slightest provacation, light the stove, ignite a gas ring, light a fag and off they would go.

I hope others have had better luck than me.

That sounds like the cheap ones you get for £5 a go. You probably need one that works by "looking for smoke" using photo sensors rather than the radioactive sensor type.

Exactly same experience John. Every time I made toast, boiled the kettle, lit the stove etc I would always end up taking the batteries of the smoke alarm out to save me from being deafened.

There is a serious side to all this isn't there, there will be a many hundreds of thousands of people who have had the same experience as myself and Breals, eventually lost patience and dumped the things in the bin.

Design engineers of all kinds have a responsibility to get things right, many lives will have been lost already because some greedy manufacturer had gone to market with his junky product too soon.

Edited by John Orentas

mine's bigger than yours, obviously <_<

Hi Chris,

Is yours the Black /Red/Green widebeam on the hardstanding at Bristol Marina?

With regard to the smoke alarm, we also received ours free from the Fire Service, they fitted it to. Sounds like the same type as grayln has, had no false alarms so far or real ones thankfully.

Ken

J*s*s, Chris, how big is your boat? How do you get under bridges?

<_< Had to pick myself up off the floor after that one!

There are different types of smoke detector, Ionisation sensors and Optical sensors.

The optical ones are less likely to 'false alarm'

As Tomsk says, Heat sensors are normally used in kitchens or smokey environments

but i don't think i've ever seen them available as a stand alone bettery unit?

Looking good, went around a couple of times in ours trying for a better view, so busy looking at your boat nearly hit that old Pompey ferry. When will it be finished?

Ken

you're welcome B) ............. how long is a piece of string? <_<

Edited by chris polley

• 3 weeks later...