Sunblest narrowboat?

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, pete harrison said:

The British Waterways Board index number for SUNBLEST was 62223, and my records indicate it still had a Hire and Reward licence at the end of 1985. This index number appears to have fallen out of use some time between 1985 and 2005, but what happened to SUNBLEST and whether it was renamed and a new index number issued I can not answer :captain:

Thank you sir for the information regarding the hire narrowboat Sunblest and thank you to the all the other ladies & gentlemen for all the 'bread' comments you lot really did get on a roll with this topic. ;)   

Edited by Flower of Gloster

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So was SUNBLEST named because of a connection with the SUNBLEST brand of bread? Or was the bread named after the boat, does anyone know?

SINBLEST as a brand of bread still appears to be sold by Allied Bakeries, but does anyone know when SUNBLEST bread was first launched as a brand?

I'm very interested in this, it sounds sooooo much better than the usual confessional.... :lol:

This has a related question to something else that I remember seeing on the telly back in 1970 or 1971?.

Does anyone who is on here remember a children's or teenagers television programme shown on ITV called MAGPIE back in the late 1960s & early 1970s?.

Anyway one of the programmes that they featured was of a motorised lighter/barge on the river Thames (near the Magpie television studios at Teddington) that was carrying a load of grain for (believe it or not?) SUNBLEST BREAD and there mills somewhere along the river Thames?.

All this talk of BREAD accounts for why I am a 100% CRUMPET MAN :P   

2 hours ago, Flower of Gloster said:

This has a related question to something else that I remember seeing on the telly back in 1970 or 1971?.

Does anyone who is on here remember a children's or teenagers television programme shown on ITV called MAGPIE back in the late 1960s & early 1970s?.

Anyway one of the programmes that they featured was of a motorised lighter/barge on the river Thames (near the Magpie television studios at Teddington) that was carrying a load of grain for (believe it or not?) SUNBLEST BREAD and there mills somewhere along the river Thames?.

All this talk of BREAD accounts for why I am a 100% CRUMPET MAN :P   

When did the big mill on the River Wey stop production. I had an idea they were still getting grain by barge in the 60s. I also think the barge operators were Stevens but may be wrong.

3 hours ago, Flower of Gloster said:

one of the programmes that they featured was of a motorised lighter/barge on the river Thames

Coincidentally just referred to in this thread:

40 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Coincidentally just referred to in this thread:

Yeah she was alright and to a 15 year old teenage male like myself back in 1971 any nice looking woman in there mid 20s looked really nice yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... ;) 

The grain to Coxes mill was last carried by the Murrell’s on their barge and the barge Annie owned by Uxbridge Boat centre at the time. There was a lot of trouble with the unions over the non use of lightermen I seem to recall. Di has written about it.

47 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

The grain to Coxes mill was last carried by the Murrell’s on their barge and the barge Annie owned by Uxbridge Boat centre at the time. There was a lot of trouble with the unions over the non use of lightermen I seem to recall. Di has written about it.

Ok so that would be correct about Sunblest using barges/lighters to transport grain on the river Thames through Teddington lock to the mill as seen on Magpie television programme circa 1970.

Thanks.