Boiler and Calorifier

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And maybe fit an expansion vessel

And maybe not, depending on whether there is a NRV in the cold water inlet. 

We need to find this out so we can avoid compiling lists of 'maybe's.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And maybe not, depending on whether there is a NRV in the cold water inlet. 

We need to find this out so we can avoid compiling lists of 'maybe's.

I am considering fitting an expansion vessel to my hot water system. Currently it uses a Surecal calorifier, which I believe incorporates a NRV and a PRV.

Why do you advise against fitting an expansion vessel if the calorifier has a NRV on the cold water inlet?

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I am considering fitting an expansion vessel to my hot water system. Currently it uses a Surecal calorifier, which I believe incorporates a NRV and a PRV.

Why do you advise against fitting an expansion vessel if the calorifier has a NRV on the cold water inlet?

Where did I say that? I thought I said finding out if it exists is necessary before advising what to fit. 

That's what I meant to say anyway.

If your calorifer has no NRV, the accumulator on the water pump will absorb the expansion in volume of the water in the calorifier when it heats up. If there is a NRV in the cold water feed anywhere, this isolates that accumulator from the calorifier and an expansion vessel will be needed on the calorifier too. 

Expansion vessels and accumulators are exactly the same device, technically. They just perform slightly different functions. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Where did I say that? I thought I said finding out if it exists is necessary before advising what to fit. 

Ah, it's me being hard of understanding. ?

I thought you were saying there was a problem with fitting an expansion vessel to a system with an NRV on the cold water inlet to the calorifier, and I couldn't understand why not.

I will continue with my plan to fit the expansion vessel.

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Ah, it's me being hard of understanding. ?

I thought you were saying there was a problem with fitting an expansion vessel to a system with an NRV on the cold water inlet to the calorifier, and I couldn't understand why not.

I will continue with my plan to fit the expansion vessel.

I just added a bit to my post, to explain properly. I'm sure your thinking on it will be correct. Just me not explaining clearly.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If your calorifer has no NRV, the accumulator on the water pump will absorb the expansion in volume of the water in the calorifier when it heats up. If there is a NRV in the cold water feed anywhere, this isolates that accumulator from the calorifier and an expansion vessel will be needed on the calorifier too. 

Expansion vessels and accumulators are exactly the same device, technically. They just perform slightly different functions. 

I knew what you meant Mike. One day I gave a boater a hand at Somerton Meadows. It was a hot day and he gave me a glass of orange squash, unfortunately he didn't have a NRV that worked and the water from the cold tap was slightly , shall we say warm. I don't like warm orange drinks.