Monitoring data downloaded via a phone in real time

MtB

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Does it allow unlimited tethering? I think not.

Yes.  That's the point of it!  

I see it's been commented on above (and has gone up since I posted the link!) but it's effectively unlimited.

@WotEver noticed that it is subject to a 1 Terabyte fair usage limit ( 1000 Gigabytes per month) but that would mean your mac eating 60 Gig today is a rounding error - you would still have 940 Gig left to play with!

4 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yes it does allow unlimited tethering.  They changed with the Black Friday deals to be £20 a month for unlimited calls, texts and data with tethering included.  I switched to that as I was on a package the was limited to 30 gig tethering.  It may since gave gone up to £22 a month, but with the unlimited tethering at least the impact of this sort of thing is not so big.

Well thats encouraging. I was reading a review of it a few weeks ago that said the name of it was verging on downright misleading as it was not unlimited data (there is a 'fair use' limit). And only very limited tethering was allowed making it bloody difficult to get anywhere near the 'fair use' limit. 

Mebbe it was an old review. I didn't notice... 

That is quite correct about the fair use limit - but 'Three' described the limit as you would have to be at it 24 hours a day for the full month, which is basically impossible. Apparently it is some legalese thing that they have to specify a limit. Their T&C small print clearly states that all data on the chosen deal can be tethered.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well thats encouraging. I was reading a review of it a few weeks ago that said the name of it was verging on downright misleading as it was not unlimited data (there is a 'fair use' limit). And only very limited tethering was allowed making it bloody difficult to get anywhere near the 'fair use' limit. 

Mebbe it was an old review. I didn't notice... 

I think there is still a fair usage of 1000gb a month, but as this is for personal use that if you use that much you a basically taking the piss it think.  Then I worked from home on conference calls all day (VoIP) and downloading large amount of data it would have got no where near that.

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And only very limited tethering was allowed making it bloody difficult to get anywhere near the 'fair use' limit. 

No, that's what they changed in October/November last year.  They are now pitching against fibre broadband to a house, and people are quitting landlines to pay Three for unlimited data mobile connections.

Any "hobby" boaters that spend 6 months or more away from their house should seriously consider it.  We all know that EE and Three have the best canal coverage, but there is no deal from EE that comes anywhere near the Three deal.

(Unless you are @rusty69 and are forced against your will to live tied to a jetty in a Three blackspot with no signal ...)

Edited by TheBiscuits

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

No, that's what they changed in October/November last year.  They are now pitching against fibre broadband to a house, and people are quitting landlines to pay Three for unlimited data mobile connections.

Any "hobby" boaters that spend 6 months or more away from their house should seriously consider it.  We all know that EE and Three have the best canal coverage, but there is no deal from EE that comes anywhere near the Three deal.

(Unless you are @rusty69 and are forced against your will to live tied to a jetty in a Three blackspot with no signal ...)

Is Three really that good on the canal network? I have NEVER failed to get a signal with EE with a decent antenna even in Braunston or Little Heyford but my EE is up for renewal in June and I use circa 100-150Gb/M so the Three deal looks too good. This years plan is to head north, so is Three any good up there?

10 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Is Three really that good on the canal network? I have NEVER failed to get a signal with EE with a decent antenna even in Braunston or Little Heyford but my EE is up for renewal in June and I use circa 100-150Gb/M so the Three deal looks too good. This years plan is to head north, so is Three any good up there?

I have Three and my wife has EE.  EE will get a signal where Three will not but it is usually only GPRS, as Three is 3G or nothing.  When you get 4G on both then EE is faster usually, but at the end of the day EE does not have an unlimited data package, do they?  Swings and roundabouts....

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Because I use Voda to get a good signal. Have Three improved along here too?

No idea never been there, but if Vodaphone is excellent in coverage and Three is not, then they have got you.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

No idea never been there, but if Vodaphone is excellent in coverage and Three is not, then they have got you.

How do I find out if three is any good here, without subscribing?!

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How do I find out if three is any good here, without subscribing?!

The 123 plan PAYG SIMs are a quid from any good retailer ... and you can top them up with a fiver.  I'd punt £6 at the investigation.

Edited by TheBiscuits

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The 123 plan SIMs are a quid from any good retailer ... and you can top them up with a fiver.  I'd punt £6 at the investigation.

I agree, Three has I think the best deal, but of course not good if you have no service so try it and see

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The 123 plan SIMs are a quid from any good retailer ... and you can top them up with a fiver.  I'd punt £6 at the investigation.

Fanx! I'll try that tomorrow and if the sim works ok I'll subscribe to Pig My Face with three or whatever its called

What counts as a 'good retailer'? Soemwhere like a big tesco or Asda? Or do I need to get the bus into a town centre?

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Fanx! I'll try that tomorrow and if the sim works ok I'll subscribe to Pig My Face with three or whatever its called

What counts as a 'good retailer'? Soemwhere like a big tesco or Asda? Or do I need to get the bus into a town centre?

Adsa and Tesco sell them round here, so I suspect yours will.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Adsa and Tesco sell them round here, so I suspect yours will.

Ok will get one tmoz. Slight prob, my router phone is a Voda branded el cheapo fone. Bound to be locked to voda. Can I get a Voda branded fone unlocked or do I need to buy a fone too?

Mebbe I should get a Mifi contraption...

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok will get one tmoz. Slight prob, my router phone is a Voda branded el cheapo fone. Bound to be locked to voda. Can I get a Voda branded fone unlocked or do I need to buy a fone too?

Mebbe I should get a Mifi contraption...

*Shrugs*  Try it.  It will either work or not, but as long as your router fone can do 3G it will be OK on Three.

That’s twice I have seen a comment that three only do 3G - not true, they have a good 4g service as well. Also, MtB for your info, three have a service called, I think, three in touch, which will allow you to use WiFi to make calls and download stuff if you are in any of the now many (pubs etc) free WiFi areas.

eta - MtB if you do buy a MiFi thing, don’t get it from three, I understand a three phone sim will not do the all data thing in one of their mifi’s but WILL work in ‘free’ ones

Edited by Mike Tee

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

That’s twice I have seen a comment that three only do 3G - not true, they have a good 4g service as well. Also, MtB for your info, three have a service called, I think, three in touch, which will allow you to use WiFi to make calls and download stuff if you are in any of the now many (pubs etc) free WiFi areas.

eta - MtB if you do buy a MiFi thing, don’t get it from three, I understand a three phone sim will not do the all data thing in one of their mifi’s but WILL work in ‘free’ ones

Yes they do 4G, but the point with Three is they only do at least 3G.  The do not support GPRS, which you will often find EE for example using when there is a poor signal.  So in those cases you will get no signal on Three.

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Mebbe I should get a Mifi contraption..

I  use a Huawei.. pronounced "Who are we?"

(ironically, exactly what the government may be concerned about should they have control of the UK 5g network imo).

It is a great bit of kit.

Edited by rusty69

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I  use a Huawei.. pronounced "Who are we?"

(ironically, exactly what the government are concerned about should they have control of the UK 5g network).

It is a great bit of kit.

Fanx, which one do you have? I have a old PAYG Three mifi made by Huawai and it is fekkn useless. Terrible signal strength compared to my iPhone

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Fanx, which one do you have? I have a old PAYG Three mifi made by Huawai and it is fekkn useless. Terrible signal strength compared to my iPhone

Its a real old one. E5776. I suspect things have moved on since then, and there are much better offerings out there. I use it when on the other boat.

The narrowboat has a proper router, Teltonika Rut 955 connected to an external aerial. (Idea knicked off Dr Bob, other routers are available).

ETA.Someone mentioned the Whoarewe? B525 a few weeks back, which also looks good.Not cheap, but you must be minted being a boilerman. They also connected it to a standard telephone with a three sim to make use of the included minutes. It looked good to me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-UNLOCKED-300Mbps-mobile-Router/dp/B071CYR18L

Edited by rusty69