What are the Cruising guidelines for a boater WITH a home mooring?

Frazzer999

Featured Posts

Im i correct that for instanceif i have a home mooring a the go boating for a 2 days leave the boat at b 10 days move the boat back to a then a week later a friend /fam uses the boat and does exactly the same journey same time scales im asuming this would be ok as we plan to moor where there are 3-4 close routes so we can have weekends out but will return to home mooring between but may do the same trip a few times in a row leaving the boat close to the same place. E.g. go out leave a week come back to base then do the same the week after but next time do a diffrent route

Absolutely correct - this is totally 'legal'.

Depending on your local EO you may have some 'problems', but if you explain that you have a home mooring, and are using your boat in accordance with the 1995 Waterways Act, they should back down.

If they don't then there is a wealth of experience on the forum that will help you (Tony & Nigel spring to mind)

I wouldn't worry. We have an end of garden mooring and frequently take day trips, in either direction and return to our home mooring.

We also take frequent week long trips, again to the same 2 or 3 destinations.

Then once or twice a year we take much longer trips to wherever the fancy takes us. Never had any issues with enforcement.

If you have a fixed mooring, then logically many of your trips must cover the same ground.

I think normal use of a home mooring is unlikely to appear on CaRts radar. e.g. every weekend travelling to the same place, parking up for a few days, then returning to the mooring, or leaving the mooring for a month or two, not stopping anywhere for more than 14 days, (or the local rule if less), then moving on a reasonable distance, (a mile, a couple of miles, 5 miles), which probably wouldn't be a couple of hundred yards.

Abnormal use of a home mooring is what they will be looking for, such as leaving the mooring, (or never actually using it), travelling to the Kennet and Avon, mooring up, and setting up schools for the kids, and work for you and yours, and only moving to top up with water and empty the loo.

If near the margins, but believing yourself to be on the right side of the licence conditions, it would be a good idea to keep a log, perhaps with dated photos.

Haven't read all the posts, but....if you leave your marina...and travel almost 50 locks to a beautiful spot......where there is only 1 elsan point and 2 water points..(one on each side of a hill), and have no real reason to travel 50 locks back to your marina simply to "reset the clock" ...then it makes complete sense to me, that you would cruise between those 2 water points every 2 weeks, to empty your toilet at least. You're forced to not travel further away, since (being a marina moorer) you do actually have a local job in an area, so catch the train back on a daily basis. So in my mind, practical issues such as this, are paramount when it comes to answering the question..."how far/how often must a marina boat travel when out their marina". The alternative is for a marina boat to remain in their marina and never leave. Those are the only 2 practical solutions.

;-)

ETA.....I did get an enforcement letter....
ETA.....I also got a phone called months later(when back in my marina...asking if I had moved yet)

Edited by DeanS

C&RT have little stomach for testing their fanciful interpretations of various pieces of waterways legislation in a Court of law, and if faced with the prospect of having to do so, will almost invariably look for a way out.

If they do persist in making an issue out of their apparent disapproval of the way that you use your boat, then please get in touch. A suitably amended version [to make it applicable to you, your boat and your circumstances] of the written Defence that frightened them into discontinuing the action against me in 2014 is readily available to anyone who finds themselves in need of it.

Ps.

If anyone needs to contact me for any reason whilst I'm enjoying one of my routine periods of banishment from this Forum, then I am available via E-mail at ~ tony@canalrivertransport.com

Thanks Tony, this is very much appreciated

Edited by Lady Cassandra
edit of quoted post

Perfect we do intend to travel a lot more than just a few locations but as my wife if fairly new to boating im trying to encorage her that a few weekends out will get her better at using the boat for a few big trips most of this year will be going to braunstone and then back to Leighton buzzard area then back for all the fit out work.

C&RT have little stomach for testing their fanciful interpretations of various pieces of waterways legislation in a Court of law, and if faced with the prospect of having to do so, will almost invariably look for a way out.

If they do persist in making an issue out of their apparent disapproval of the way that you use your boat, then please get in touch. A suitably amended version [to make it applicable to you, your boat and your circumstances] of the written Defence that frightened them into discontinuing the action against me in 2014 is readily available to anyone who finds themselves in need of it.

Ps.

If anyone needs to contact me for any reason whilst I'm enjoying one of my routine periods of banishment from this Forum, then I am available via E-mail at ~ tony@canalrivertransport.com

Greenie. I won't need your help, but I like that you offer it.

Edited by Lady Cassandra
edit of quoted post