Which Fireboard?

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

It might be me being stupid, but what "fireboard" do I actually need behind my stove?? I've seen fireboard online for £60 for a 800x 600 sheet but I've also seen fire resistant plasterboard - a brand known as "Kingspan Thermal Board" which is only £15 for a 1200x 2400mm sheet?

Could that be used behind a stove??

• Greenie 1

It might be me being stupid, but what "fireboard" do I actually need behind my stove?? I've seen fireboard online for £60 for a 800x 600 sheet but I've also seen fire resistant plasterboard - a brand known as "Kingspan Thermal Board" which is only £15 for a 1200x 2400mm sheet?

Could that be used behind a stove??

short answer is no the plasterboard is just fire retardant and simply gives you an extra 15 mins or so to get out before the fire spreads sadly you need the dearer one which is fire resistant hope that helps and sorry for the bad news A.T.B Paul

Having a read of this thread may (or may not!) help.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=57087

Also there's a document with handy diagram from Soliftec here:

http://www.soliftec.com/Installation.htm

There's also a draft BS 8511 standard knocking around >>here<< which goes into the spacings. The install instructions for the stove where available must be followed too.

If budget is an issue I'd consider using Aquapanel which is a glass fibre reinforced cement board. Not saying that the more expensive alternatives will be better in practice though smile.png Maybe a local stove shop may have offcuts of something ideal for £not much.

Is is going to be a very tight install space wise?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

We used the fireboard sold by midland chandlers in the end. It's insulation value is the best one included in the bs reg, best in that it lets through the least heat so that gap between it and stove can be smaller. It works out a bit cheaper than the victas board once vat and delivery is worked out.