12V DC to 14V DC Adapter

Richard10002

Featured Posts

I've got a 22" Samsung Smart TV which has an adapter converting a 240V input to a 14V output to a barrel type connector, a bit like laptops and the like.

I'm currently powering it via a 300W inverter, but I would prefer to feed it with a 12V to 14V adapter, which seem to be as rare as hens teeth - any ideas?

I've tried using the 12V supplies that I have, but the barrels don't fit, so I could do with an adapter with a selection of connectors.

Many Thanks,

Richard

See the post about laptop supplies

Maplins do one that I think will do this youll just have to check the barrel connector but they come with a selection

Regards kris

Thanks for that - I've scoured the laptop adapter thread :)

The outputs on typical laptop adapters tend to be variable from 15V to 24V - I have one.

The TV needs one with a 14V output.

See the post about laptop supplies

Maplins do one that I think will do this youll just have to check the barrel connector but they come with a selection

Regards kris

I've used this http://www.maplin.co.uk/multi-voltage-universal-laptop-power-supply-43515 (owned by a friend) quite expensive but seems to work on everything I've tried it on (laptops, Tv's, Audio etc etc). Seems to have every connector used in all sizes so should do the job.

I've used this http://www.maplin.co.uk/multi-voltage-universal-laptop-power-supply-43515 (owned by a friend) quite expensive but seems to work on everything I've tried it on (laptops, Tv's, Audio etc etc). Seems to have every connector used in all sizes so should do the job.

The above is a mains adaptor. Not sure that is what the OP is looking for.

Try the these search terms:

DC-DC converter

Adjustable DC boost/buck converter

Probably lead you to something suitable. wink.png

Not sure you'll find anything with the correct connection barrels but Maplin sell them individually which you can solder up yourself.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

why don't you want to run it on the inverter?

I know they have losses but so will a step up converter :

I'm sure I read somewhere the bigger the difference between the two voltages the more juice is wasted.

12 volt converted to 240 then converted back to 14 volt wastes a lot of energy.

12 volt to 14 volt would be negible.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

My 12 volt TV will run perfectly even when the batteries are down to 9.6 volts, I found this out by going to sleep and leaving TV and lights on all night, like Chris said give it a go on 12 volts might well work.

If you measure the diameter of the barrel and post it here then it's possible someone could cut one off one of the many broken transformers we all keep in the cupboard under the stairs, or is that just me?

Edited by kevinl

I'm sure I read somewhere the bigger the difference between the two voltages the more juice is wasted.

12 volt converted to 240 then converted back to 14 volt wastes a lot of energy.

12 volt to 14 volt would be negible.

no its not that simple.... there are number of a factors involved. clealry converting 12VDC to 240VAC and back to 14VDC isn't ideal. you might find it quite hard to find a DC-DC converter able to step up the voltage by such a small amount and deliver the 'power' needed. you will need to check on either the TV or adaptor the power rating in AMPs or WATTS e.g 14V 5A or 14V 70Watts and if you do find a converter then it will need to be rated to deliver the same or more power in watts or current in Amps.

As others have said I'd be tempted to try it on 12v, most of the time your boats batteries will be nearer 13 volts anyway .and its unlikely to do any damage unless you get the +/- mixed up.

I reckon there's a pretty good chance the TV will work OK on 15V from a car lappie adapter too, though there's no guarantee it'll be OK.

Maybe get a car lappie adapter set to 15V, then drop the 15V to ~14V by splicing a couple of diodes in the output lead using choccy block:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-P600G-Silicon-Bridge-Rectifier-Diodes-RoHS-400V-6A-/140517756009

But if waiting for stuff in the post, wiring things up and checking voltages isn't a problem there's also pukka high efficiency DC buck-boost converters:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-P600G-Silicon-Bridge-Rectifier-Diodes-RoHS-400V-6A-/140517756009?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item20b782cc69

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Converter-QS-1212CCBA-80W-Power-Supply-Auto-Boost-Buck-80W-CC-CV-Charger-i-/360605268754?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item53f5bfbb12

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~