Tracer-4215RN MPPT Controller

Serenity Malc

Featured Posts

Yello,

Are any of you good folk using one of these controllers ? It's the 45A one ..... I would be most grateful to hear what you think of it, and what wattage panels you are putting through it. Any problems ?

Thanks in advance Malc. B)

Edited by Serenity Malc

These are end of line stock, there is a new tracer expected which is out already, think I have seen one.

Looks like this.

EMPPT4560_200E.jpg

None of my original suppliers have any stock left of the one you are looking at (and I was paying £70 less)as they are waiting for the new one.

They were very good units and did the job.

Edited by matty40s

I have one of those. Only fitted in Nov together with two extra panels so a bit soon to give any real answers but easy to fit and seems to be doing a good job.

But, unless you have another boat with the same panels but different controller, how can you tell?

Regards

Pete

Very recently installed a 2215 20A Tracer with a 245w panel attached. Seems ok but have no idea what Amps are going in.

Anyone suggest a cheap basic gadget to tell me this. I don`t suppose the meter reading of the volts coming from the panel as it goes into the controller is much use. Or can you use this to get amps.

Be gentle I have a limited electrical knowledge.

Ido know it is working as i have a 100watt panel going through my old wind genny regulator that allowed 100w max. So i can see the higher battery reading as the 245w panel feeds the batteries.

Very recently installed a 2215 20A Tracer with a 245w panel attached. Seems ok but have no idea what Amps are going in.

Anyone suggest a cheap basic gadget to tell me this. I don`t suppose the meter reading of the volts coming from the panel as it goes into the controller is much use. Or can you use this to get amps.

Ido know it is working as i have a 100watt panel going through my old wind genny regulator that allowed 100w max. So i can see the higher battery reading as the 245w panel feeds the batteries.

Yello,

If you go to my link and post 3 there's an option to buy it with an attached meter (£35). I believe that meter fits all the Tracer range.

Malc.

The display unit that fits to the tracer....MT5 LCD Display

mcQuQg-VgoCDCO4Af9_0TlQ.jpg

These are end of line stock, there is a new tracer expected which is out already, think I have seen one.

Looks like this.

EMPPT4560_200E.jpg

None of my original suppliers have any stock left of the one you are looking at (and I was paying £70 less)as they are waiting for the new one.

They were very good units and did the job.

Yello Matty,

Thanks for your opinion and experience ... so the challenge is being able to find one ?

I've seen the unit in your picture somewhere on the web before, but at a significantly higher price.

Cheers Malc.

Yello Matty,

Thanks for your opinion and experience ... so the challenge is being able to find one ?

I've seen the unit in your picture somewhere on the web before, but at a significantly higher price.

Cheers Malc.

THats the challenge, sunshinesolar do it for £422, reduced to £30ish if buying direct. I would hope to get it for around £220. I am emailing a couple of chinese suppliers in the morning to see if they can source - keep you posted.

Les,

I have the same Tracer Controller plus the MT5 remote LCD display. The display allows me to see the voltage being produced at the panels (2 x 100W); the battery bank voltage; and the amps going into the battery bank. The MT5 remote will display additional information but be aware the instructions are in chinglish and need to be read a few times to understand them. The MT5 is very easy to connect to the Tracer controller. It's just a data cable with plugs at either end that fit into the sockets in the display and controller.

Today, with the panels flat, I was getting 1.7A. Tilting them slightly and I started getting 3.7A. The amps dropped to zero when the battery bank reached 100% (according to the Smartgauge). There are some photos on our blog <link here>

I've got that controller and much like Pearley fitted it in deep dark winter so it hasn't had much to deal with yet, but it was easy to fit. I have two 245w panels. I didn't get the remote meter which i think i'll get now because i like looking at numbers where power is involved.

Yello,

The one in the title .... Tracer 4215RN .... 45A rated.

Ta... Malc.

My link

Just for you Julynian. :rolleyes:

I have this one. Seems to do what its supposed to. I use the power out feature to automatically turn lights on in the boat. I also have the monitior but haven't installed it as think its a bit naff in design its just lose on the lead but gives a constant readout sadly no historical data. Next one alledgly will have.

Linky

Les,

I have the same Tracer Controller plus the MT5 remote LCD display. The display allows me to see the voltage being produced at the panels (2 x 100W); the battery bank voltage; and the amps going into the battery bank. The MT5 remote will display additional information but be aware the instructions are in chinglish and need to be read a few times to understand them. The MT5 is very easy to connect to the Tracer controller. It's just a data cable with plugs at either end that fit into the sockets in the display and controller.

Today, with the panels flat, I was getting 1.7A. Tilting them slightly and I started getting 3.7A. The amps dropped to zero when the battery bank reached 100% (according to the Smartgauge). There are some photos on our blog <link here>

Thanks for the link. I will probably get the MT5 to keep an eye on thigs.

Les

Thanks for the link. I will probably get the MT5 to keep an eye on thigs.

If you'd like to do it in detail over time, magnetman recommended one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130553762992

There's also loads of different combined volt/amp/amp hour meters on Ebay, eg from this seller:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Elite-element/_i.html?_nkw=combo+meter&submit=Search

Though some can work off the same supply being measured, some need an isolated supply (isolaters are cheap but a bit fiddly to wire up)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

If you'd like to do it in detail over time, magnetman recommended one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130553762992

There's also loads of different combined volt/amp/amp hour meters on Ebay, eg from this seller:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Elite-element/_i.html?_nkw=combo+meter&submit=Search

Though some can work off the same supply being measured, some need an isolated supply (isolaters are cheap but a bit fiddly to wire up)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

all depends on how anal you want to be about electric, bloomin eck, I would prefer to feed the swans than look at my solar figs for the year. They provide most of my leccy and keep my knackered batteries going, thats all I need to know.

Be careful . . . . .

Every week you're becoming more like Mrsmelly . . . . :glare:

I install solar because I have faith in it as an energy source, especially with the new technology.

It doesn't tell people at what time after 10pm that their batteries are going to die in November, neither does it tell them whether they can use their microwaves in April at 17.23 for 7 min 30 sec for a 4 dish chinese from Waitrose. However, it is a no brainer to install as it provides free electric and reduces engine wear once installed, and some people can live off it all year round.

Gets off high chair and walks down to th e beach.......feck, the water is frozen...

• Greenie 1

all depends on how anal you want to be about electric, bloomin eck, I would prefer to feed the swans than look at my solar figs for the year. They provide most of my leccy and keep my knackered batteries going, thats all I need to know.

Yello,

I like you Matty ..... you have some uncommon sense. :rolleyes:

All I want to know is that it's working well enough and I can plug in the Marshall !

Malc. :cheers:

I bought and fitted the 30a one recently. Not had chance to see it work in anger yet but I found these people were cheapest at the time:

http://solar.bimbleinn.com/solar/mppt

£179 for the 4215rn controller and just £18 extra for the remote meter.

They do cheap solar panels too. Ask for Mike.

C.

Edited by jckm2000

I install solar because I have faith in it as an energy source, especially with the new technology.

It doesn't tell people at what time after 10pm that their batteries are going to die in November, neither does it tell them whether they can use their microwaves in April at 17.23 for 7 min 30 sec for a 4 dish chinese from Waitrose. However, it is a no brainer to install as it provides free electric and reduces engine wear once installed, and some people can live off it all year round.

Gets off high chair and walks down to th e beach.......feck, the water is frozen...

That's exactly why I installed solar too

Yup - - that water did look cold!