external phone connector

janetah

Featured Posts

I've got a telephone landline on the mooring which plugs into a socket on the outside of the cabin, under the cratch cover - problem is that the only socket I could find is an internal one and something is affecting the signal (phone and broadband). I'm assuming the damp is getting to it. Does anyone know of a weatherproof external socket I can buy, which allows disconnection of the plug?

Thanks,

Jan

I've got a telephone landline on the mooring which plugs into a socket on the outside of the cabin, under the cratch cover - problem is that the only socket I could find is an internal one and something is affecting the signal (phone and broadband). I'm assuming the damp is getting to it. Does anyone know of a weatherproof external socket I can buy, which allows disconnection of the plug?

Thanks,

Jan

Commonly available for 240 mains but I don't think (or have never seen) one for a BT line.

Why not try installing the socket inside an air tight seal-able small food container - with a slot on the bottom edge just large enough to accept the wire for the phone.

Plug the wire in, ensure wire is in slot affix lid.....

To remove ....'reverse the procedure' as they say.

Thanks,

Jan

Surely the main phone socket does not go with you when you're off the mooring? IMHO your phone service should terminate in a land based socket within a weatherproof enclosure (normally on a post) and your 'flying lead' should then go on to the boat, direct to another socket ie a male to female extension lead.

There is no way an engineer worth his salt would install a socket where it can be subjected to rainwater or indeed water from any source. If you have service extended on to the boat via a flying lead, terminating in a fixed socket, this socket, as above, should be re-affixed within a waterproof container. (In case of possible condensation, I'd probably spray that socket, inside and out with something like WD-40 to drive out any moisture and provide a silicone coating on the terminals)

I'm struggling to visualise what you've got on the mooring and what type of socket you have on the boat.

I suspect you're right and damp is probably affecting things, so dog house' suggestion may well be a good practical solution.

I have seen waterproof data connectors like these :

http://cpc.farnell.com/bulgin/px0833/panel-mount-connector/dp/CN09644

but not sure I've seen a telephone version of this and they are pretty expensive for what they are...

The basic telephone line is a very simple 2 wire system so you could use just about anything to extend the 2 wires of the phone line onto the boat and then have a proper 'master' socket with your ADSl splitter inside the cabin.

Of course BT might have a bit of a fit if you have a problem with the line/broadband but slightly depends on where/how the current line is conencted and to what on 'shore'.

if you can supply a bit more info I might be able to give you some more specific ideas or pm me.

I'm struggling to visualise what you've got on the mooring and what type of socket you have on the boat....... .

. ......Of course BT might have a bit of a fit if you have a problem with the line/broadband but slightly depends on where/how the current line is conencted and to what on 'shore'.

The components in the master socket must be permanently connected, even with the faceplate/phone/modem/whatever removed, otherwise your line provider will not be able to test your line correctly.

If reporting a fault where modified/non-standard connexions exist, you may find that you will be billed for any repair call-out & re-instatement to standard.

Following Spuds comment - If it's a BT/Openreach installation, the latest sockets have a filter built-in, but yes, you def. need a filter in circuit.

Seen these used as an external telephone socket:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221162676391

http://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/36367/Trem-Waterproof-Deck-Cable-Connector.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400226102371

Normally it would go on a mooring post or similar and another length of cable go to the master socket inside the boat.

The BT connection uses a pair of wires so a 2 way connector will do, the above look like they have one thicker pin so only go in one way.

Another way of doing it would be to have the master socket in a weatherproof box on the mooring, and run a phone extension into the boat.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.

To be clearer about the present setup, there's a BT socket on the mooring bollard with a fixed cable, which runs along the pontoon and then up the aerial post (on the pontoon) onto the roof of the boat. When I unplug it I coil it up and tie it onto the post with the plug inside a plastic bag.

The plug goes into an internal socket mounted on the outside front cabin wall. There's a short wire from this thro the cabin wall to an identical socket inside which the ADSL splitter then phone / router is attached. Btw I'm at about the limit of my understanding here, not being a techie of any kind - an ex did the fixing. Considering it's been in place for two years, it's not done badly but now the interference is annoying.

After posting here, asked Maplins about waterproof sockets and they suggested two of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/teeplug-ip68-plug-and-socket-625607 - two, because I'd need to cap off the line from the main socket when the boat's out.

I like the food container idea - seems to me it would do about the same job for a lot less dosh.

(snip)

Normally it would go on a mooring post or similar and another length of cable go to the master socket inside the boat.

(snip)

Another way of doing it would be to have the master socket in a weatherproof box on the mooring, and run a phone extension into the boat.

Surely the master socket has to be on the shore?

Although I suppose a 2 wire connection from the shore master with a second master on the boat woud also work, and would have the advantage of making a test of the boat to shore line a bit easier :rolleyes:

Iain

If it's a BT master socket on the bollard, try your phone and broadband router direct into this socket.

BT aren't responsible for fixing faults downstream of the master socket and may/will charge if called out for such faults.

Surely the master socket has to be on the shore?

Although I suppose a 2 wire connection from the shore master with a second master on the boat woud also work, and would have the advantage of making a test of the boat to shore line a bit easier :rolleyes:

Put it this way, is there an easy, cheap, reliable way of getting the phone wire onto the boat somehow, using widely available bits? :)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

so the 'correct' way to do this is to use the standard two part master socket on shore and i would put it in a waterproof container of some sort (you can get some intended for use with outdoor christmas lights) or simply use a plastic food box/tupper ware container something like that. The master scoket provides waht Bt/openreach need to test the line (plus a few other bits ), then form the removable 'customer wiring' plate you actually should take 3 wires (A,B plus bell) to a secondary socket insde your boat. fit an ADSL filter there and that should work. you could use any connector you wanted between the master and secondary socket. in the event of a line problem there is a clear demarcation on the master socket (you take off the removable wiring plate disconnecting your wiring). Ideally you would use twisted pair cabling (data cat 5 patch lead cable would be ideal), or telephone type cables - keep them as short as possible to get the best out of your broadband.

this is the sort of master socket you should have from BT :

http://cpc.farnell.com/pressac/r20-7983-psid/nte5a-master-line-socket/dp/TE04369?Ntt=NTE5A

They're pretty good but I think I'll go for a NTE5 master socket in an IP67 watertight box onshore with a couple of cable glands and the above mentioned deck connector on the outside of the box. Then some suitable wire to the boat with an extension socket inside.

That way the master socket is sealed away from damp at all times, even when disconnecting or connecting.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Another alternative is to go wireless between the boat and the shore. Wireless router in a weatherproof box on land, with a mains supply into the box, then a cordless phone base-station on shore and its handset on the boat (you need a phone with 2 handsets because that way you get the handset charger that you'll need on the boat). Or if you're with BT, put the Home Hub in the shore box and use a Home Hub handset on the boat.

Came across this today - Eterna SSBE Waterproof Accessory Box, looks like it'll take a standard master socket OK and quite reasonably priced too.

33717.jpg

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/IP65+Rated/IP65+Weatherproof+Accessory+Box+Single/d190/sd3102/p33717

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Came across this today - Eterna SSBE Waterproof Accessory Box, looks like it'll take a standard master socket OK and quite reasonably priced too.

33717.jpg

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/IP65+Rated/IP65+Weatherproof+Accessory+Box+Single/d190/sd3102/p33717

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Well spotted Pete - I searched for ages to find something better than my 'socket in a lunch box idea' but failed...

• 10 months later...

Afternoon all

In terms of limiting the number of holes drilled through the hull, does anyone know if there is any problems with running the phone line cable next to the 240v shore power lead (in terms of interference) ?

Hoping I could fit a second two pin socket as mentioned by others inside this enclosure

Two birds, one stone.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAVAN-FLUSH-FITTING-240V-13-AMP-INLET-HOOK-UP-BOX-PO114/181258608830?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D2789958208306280654%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D310782095701%26

Thanks

Chaz

There won't be any interference issues. I'll think you'll be lucky if there space for a reasonable connector for the phone as well, but must be worth a try. you would need to make sure that the two phone wires are kept separate from the mains wires (of course) and I'd make sure there was no connection with the hull just to avoid the slight possibility of any stray galvanic currents that might cause corrosion.

I would expect the socket on the post is proberbly more shot than the one on the boat. So both ends need attention, the master on the shore being limited to putting BTs offering in a box.

Seen them mounted below a tap on mooringsl bollards before now and offen wonderered how long/well they lasted.

Daniel