Would you buy a springer thats been plated

Trix

Featured Posts

Hello folks , the question is in the title , would you buy a springer thats been plated ? I'm told any work that needed to be done has been with receipts to prove . Its 50ft and I would want to live on the boat . Technically it would not be my first boat , but the first one never made it off the land due to a relationship break up. So you could say I am new to this really . I have read a lot about springers being the low budget boat of the canal , but does this make them bad? I find it difficult to see where people get the value's from but £17000 for a 50ft springer is that good or bad ????

Hello folks , the question is in the title , would you buy a springer thats been plated ? I'm told any work that needed to be done has been with receipts to prove . Its 50ft and I would want to live on the boat . Technically it would not be my first boat , but the first one never made it off the land due to a relationship break up. So you could say I am new to this really . I have read a lot about springers being the low budget boat of the canal , but does this make them bad? I find it difficult to see where people get the value's from but £17000 for a 50ft springer is that good or bad ????

The only way to know thesis to get a survey from a reputable surveyor, be there while he does it as you will learn a lot by speaking to him

Condition is everything......Do as TUSCAN suggests esp the bit about be there :cheers:

The surveyor can also tell you if the over plating has been done properly.

Thickness of plate is no good if the quality of the weld is poor.

Done properly it lends a new life in to an old boat.

Edited by Proper Job

personally no I would not buy a springer that has been overplated. patched or replated then yes i'd consider it. our tripboat Zachariah Keppel was replated from the waterline down when we converted her to do trips as her underwater sections were rotten.

There is nothing wrong with overplating,

just look up Narrowboat sinks on river thames!! overplated springer! need i say more?

personally no I would not buy a springer that has been overplated. patched or replated then yes i'd consider it. our tripboat Zachariah Keppel was replated from the waterline down when we converted her to do trips as her underwater sections were rotten.

just look up Narrowboat sinks on river thames!! overplated springer! need i say more?

Just because someone did a crap job doesn't mean system wrong just someone DID it wrong.....see Tay bridge disaster

That didn't happen because there was a problem with the over plating. It was just that the over plating increased the draught of the vessel and this wasn't taken in to consideration with regard to hull openings and 'rough' waters.

That didn't happen because there was a problem with the over plating. It was just that the over plating increased the draught of the vessel and this wasn't taken in to consideration with regard to hull openings and 'rough' waters.

well said

Personally, I would not buy an overplated boat. Oh I'm sure there are some boatyards capable of the work, but I am a sceptic. If I did it myself then maybe. As other say get a full hull survey and be there when its done !.

Yes you are, there lots of bioat builders who can do the work and there are hundreds of pre-war former working boats out there which have either had re-plating done, or new sections welded in, I haven't heard of any sinking yet.

Yes you are, there lots of bioat builders who can do the work and there are hundreds of pre-war former working boats out there which have either had re-plating done, or new sections welded in, I haven't heard of any sinking yet.

I challenge you to name a single prewar former working boat that has complete overplating?

As I said patches and replates ok but to overplate substantially would lead to a very heavy boat especially an early springer which were built from old gasometers!!

I challenge you to name a single prewar former working boat that has complete overplating?

As I said patches and replates ok but to overplate substantially would lead to a very heavy boat especially an early springer which were built from old gasometers!!

challenge accepted

As an owner of an old working boat (1929) the biggest problem is getting ENOUGH ballast in her. She is substantially over plated and is still very under ballasted with 10 tons in her bilges and she still only draws 24" forward...her name ...Sabina H

an ex Harker tanker..

I have had the counter on my 1989 springer overplated this year. Next year i will probably [funds] have the bottom plate overplated. Mine has the typical double chine and slight vee keel. It does not worry me one iota. If i sold my boat, i would happily buy an overplated replacement. Aslong as the work is carried out properly and hull openings are well above the waterline there is no problem.Just get a survey and if sound and you like it ,buy it. :cheers: