what engine?

gatnav

Featured Posts

My linkhi all im new here so i hope im on the right track, i have an engine on my narrowboat but cant seem to be able to find out what make it is the plate on the top reads ruston rover its a 4 cyclinder non turbo 2.5 dsl and its green im as bad with engines as i am with computers but will try to upload photos for people to see fingers crossed and thanks in advance. alan Edited by gatnav

I may be wrong but I believe this is a Series 2A Diesel Land-Rover engine marinised by Ruston.

Photos would definitely help.

i have them on this computer but cant see a link on this page to upload them but thanks for the advice ill check it now. alan

A 2A should have had the 2.1/4 litre 2286cc Rover diesel engine.

I'm aware of that, having owned far too many but I also believe that the Ruston Rover was the same engine.

The OP doesn't put a date on the engine...could it be post 1983 when the Land Rover engine was bored out to 2.5l?

I know nothing about the new-fangled S3s, far too much plastic for my taste.

I'm aware of that, having owned far too many but I also believe that the Ruston Rover was the same engine.

The OP doesn't put a date on the engine...could it be post 1983 when the Land Rover engine was bored out to 2.5l?

thanks very much for all your help i will try put photos up this evening and some more info might help i was told by a friend he had a land rover in the 70s and he taught my engine looked similar but could not be sure thanks for now alan

Edited by gatnav

[quote name='carlt' timestamp='1346749351' post='933469']

[/quote]

Carl your a heretic, I'm told plastic is the up and coming thing !

[IMG]http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg537/gatnav/Facebook/Untitled%20Album/260147_409186529130837_97672516_n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg537/gatnav/Facebook/Untitled%20Album/563258_409186319130858_803918126_n.jpg[/IMG]

Richard

Edited by RLWP

[quote name='RLWP' timestamp='1346762739' post='933599']
Land Rover

D'you thing the Ruston [b]ROVER [/b]bit could be a hint?

Richard
[/quote]
I'm not sure what the lump in the bottom picture that I posted is as I've never seen a Land-Rover engine bay not sprayed black with dirty engine oil before.

Edited by carlt

My linkhi all im new here so i hope im on the right track, i have an engine on my narrowboat but cant seem to be able to find out what make it is the plate on the top reads ruston rover its a 4 cyclinder non turbo 2.5 dsl and its green im as bad with engines as i am with computers but will try to upload photos for people to see fingers crossed and thanks in advance. alan

Hi Gatnav,

Position of injection pump, breather arrangement, low voltage glow plugs and oil filter all point towards it being a 2286cc lump (two and a quarter up to "series 3" and 2.3 in early "110" and "90" models).

There is however something about the injectors that says early 2 litre diesel.

I think the rover engine number may be close to the lift pump, or under the raw water pump bracket.

Its worth knowing that the Ruston marinising parts would fit the 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 litre engines; and probably the 2 litre as well.

Probably best to post the pictures on a Land Rover forum?

Steve

Edited by Eeyore

Early 2.25 had the clamp down injectors very similair to the 2 litre engine, pretty rare but not as rare as the 2 litre engines.

It defo looks like a 2.25 inj pump with the advance unit on the rear.

If you look at the block under the ex manifold a couple of inches above the sump joint if there is a 3mm hole one for each cylinder this is cast iron proof its a 2 litre engine, which you dont want as some parts are unobtainable.

Lynall

Edited by lynalldisocvery

The 2.1/4 litre 2286cc was the most common and was really only a beefed up version of the absolutely superb 2.1/4 litre 2286cc petrol engine, externally the two engines are almost identical apart from the petrols ignition system layout and carb and the diesels injection system. The diesel was extremely slow and sluggish compared with the petrol.

Same block etc as each other but the crank was different one was cast and the other was something i cant remember possibly treated in some way?

I took the 2 litre out of my 59 and fitted a tdi engine, goes a bit better now!

Lynall

The whole crankcase and bottom end had to be beefed up, larger mains and big ends, and i think wet liners, i just can't remember now.

I had three Landrovers over many years for garage and private use. A 1954 80''soft top with the 1500cc OISE petrol engine which i changed for the 2000cc OISE engine and then a 1964 88'' IIA 2286cc petrol and then a 1969 88'' IIB 2286cc petrol and what a superb engine they were, also used in the Rover 60 car.

The whole crankcase and bottom end had to be beefed up, larger mains and big ends, and i think wet liners, i just can't remember now.

I had three Landrovers over many years for garage and private use. A 1954 80''soft top with the 1500cc OISE petrol engine which i changed for the 2000cc OISE engine and then a 1964 88'' IIA 2286cc petrol and then a 1969 88'' IIB 2286cc petrol and what a superb engine they were, also used in the Rover 60 car.

Thank you all very much for the information which i found to be a great help.Im in the process of looking for parts so will go to a landrover forum as recomended and hopefully this will solve my parts problem.Thanks again to all involved, Alan