what to buy?

robange

Featured Posts

Hi all, we are new here. Can anyone advise us which boat to buy? We are considering either a 32ft creighton cruiser or a 32ft dartline narrowboat, the creighton is £5100 the dartline £8k any advice will be very welcome.

Welcome.

Sorry to say this but not really it is entirely up to you which boat you buy. ;)

No doubt someone will know the two boats you mention and particular good or bad points.

Find the boat you are interested in, have it surveyed and barter, if it is not a colander case.

Welcome.

Sorry to say this but not really it is entirely up to you which boat you buy. ;)

No doubt someone will know the two boats you mention and particular good or bad points.

Find the boat you are interested in, have it surveyed and barter, if it is not a colander case.

Sound advice, think of it as you would when buying a car, if one boat ticks your boxes more than the other then you have your boat (subject to survey) I suspect that given the price difference one may well be a better buy than the other but that is not always the case. Do you know any boat owners who could go with you when you view boats?

Phil

Sound advice, think of it as you would when buying a car, if one boat ticks your boxes more than the other then you have your boat (subject to survey) I suspect that given the price difference one may well be a better buy than the other but that is not always the case. Do you know any boat owners who could go with you when you view boats?

Phil

I understand that, but knowing nothing about boats which would be more economical to maintain a steel hull or GRP?

I understand that, but knowing nothing about boats which would be more economical to maintain a steel hull or GRP?

I lived aboard a GRP boat for about 10 years and now into my 3rd year on a steel N.B, so to this question I can answer that GRP is less expensive to maintain.

Phil

The BSC is unlikely to be where any major costs come from.

Expensive bits on steel boats are hull work, engines and gearboxes

I don't know much about GRP ones, engines and gearboxes are still not going to be cheap though

Richard

The early Dartline narrow boats which is probably what your looking at is almost certainly an ex hire boat, that's good, but it probably has a GRP top and very likely an air-cooled Lister engine, very very reliable but noisy, however they were built with quite nice fine sharp bows enabling then to slice through the water with a minimum of power. A few years ago i delivered one from Leighton Buzzard to here, B.Stortford and it went like a bomb.

That's useful to know as it has BSC to 2014 whereas the dartline is 2014.

Sorry but that tells you nothing except that when tested in 2010 and 2009 the fittings etc. were passed fit for use.

It tells you nothing about the boats fitness now, a bit like an MOT on a car OK when tested but no proof it is OK now.

It does not test for, for instance, the thickness of the hull (steel) or whether the GRP has osmosis problems, whether the engine or gearbox are knackered worn out.

Do not buy a boat on the length of its BSS.

Edited by bottle

Sorry but that tells you nothing except that when tested in 2010 and 2009 the fittings etc. were passed fit for use.

It tells you nothing about the boats fitness now, a bit like an MOT on a car OK when tested but no proof it is OK now.

It does not test for, for instance, the thickness of the hull (steel) or whether the GRP has osmosis problems, whether the engine or gearbox are knackered worn out.

Do not buy a boat on the length of its BSS.

Frankly the OP is doing it backwards. One either has to spend weeks and months learning the basics of a subject like boating then buy from an informed position, or take a chance, just buy one, and learn on the job so to speak.

I disagree with the advice to get a survey on a boat priced at £5k. Far better to just buy it from a reputable dealer and ask for some sort of basic guarantee, then learn from experience. That way, some boating is getting done instead of interminable naval-gazing, and the most the OP stands to lose if he buys a total turkey is about £5k.

Mike

Frankly the OP is doing it backwards. One either has to spend weeks and months learning the basics of a subject like boating then buy from an informed position, or take a chance, just buy one, and learn on the job so to speak.

I disagree with the advice to get a survey on a boat priced at £5k. Far better to just buy it from a reputable dealer and ask for some sort of basic guarantee, then learn from experience. That way, some boating is getting done instead of interminable naval-gazing, and the most the OP stands to lose if he buys a total turkey is about £5k.

Mike

Not even £5K, they will be able to unload it to some other enthusiastic boater for something

Sounds like a 'take a knowledgeable mate with you' job

Richard

Not even £5K, they will be able to unload it to some other enthusiastic boater for something

Sounds like a 'take a knowledgeable mate with you' job

Richard

Indeed. And take each for a test drive too, with the mate.

Having read the OP again the real quandary really seems to be whether to buy a steel NB or a fibreglass cruiser.

I'd go for the cruiser as a first purchase as its a lot cheaper and will be easier and less scarey for a newbie to handle.

Mike

Hang on, that cruiser is listed at 17k and the narrowboat at 11k.

They both need a bit of work but personally I'd be more likely to go for the steel one because I know more about steel and they're better for living aboard (if that's what you're after), but with a boat that age you really need to know something about the hull imo. I know nothing about old fibreglass but that would be the same thing I imagine - fibreglass tops can be bad news but not always.

What are you planning on using it for?

8k for a narrowboat that isn't about to sink, doesn't leak through the roof and has a reliable engine is a decent deal, especially with a new kitchen and bathroom. Those are the things to check.

imo of course.

My link

Sorry wrong boat it is this one. We intend to use it for weekends away and the odd week in the summer.

Please note that the Creighton has a PETROL inboard, so I should take pros/cons advice on that point plus the Dartline's cabin top is GRP. The GRP-to-steel join at the gunwhales often creates frustrating problems with rainwater ingress (I have an ex-dartline boat!) - most of mine has now been solved by the use of Marineflex at the joint - check the inner hardwood strip into which the brass screws fix, for rust staining. If it's painted over, be wary!

These points I've raised are not to put you off, but possible cons to consider. Whatever you do, don't rush to buy - theres plenty out there!

Good Luck!

PS the Dartline is 'of that age' where welding to the bottom plate may be required, if not already done. (mine's a 1974 build and just been done)

ETA reformed OP's ebay link.

Edited by dave69700

Thank you everyone for your advice, We'll keep looking and you never know maybe we'll make a decision, probably neither of these but we will keep looking and then we'll be asking more questions about refits and actual boating etiquette etc.

Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...