Dog poo

Dominic M

Featured Posts

there are no laws about failing to clean it up either - except in some bylaws

ken

Praise the lord I needn't bother at all

- just what is your point grandad - this is a moral argument not a legal one.

I have four dogs and have bags in every pocket, every handbag that I own, It is disgusting when people let their dogs crap and leave it, especially when you walk along the towpath in the dark only to get on your boat and wonder what the awful smell is, only to look at the bottom of your boots and plastered in poo...... there is a main culprit on the towpath from the Wigrams Turn to the Napton locks is a woman who runs along there daily with her 3 collies and lets them crap everywhere without scooping, we were in the middle lock at Calcutt one day and she came passed,one of the dogs tried to squat and she dragged him out of our eyeline shouting at him that he was not to stop..the poor dog wanted a poo simples!! he then proceeded to drop it in rows and she carried on running, hence leaving a trail along the towpath, so instead of being in one pile it was littered, I shouted after her 'how about picking your dogs mess up' which she ignored and carried on. she obviously lives locally but is not a boater so basically is using our towpath which our licence fee pays for the upkeep as a dog loo..I am not afraid to challenge anyone about allowing their dogs to crap and usually the offer of a poo bag does the trick.

I am reminded of a problem years ago when someone living down the road from me allowed his dog to cr*p in the front gardens of his neighbours. I used to take the easy option and scoop up depositing the turd in a dog-bog at the end of my garden (this is basically a plastic box that is sunk into the ground that composts the waste). My next door neighbour was not a dog owner and not so understanding. At the end of his tether one day he picked up a turd on a shovel, marched down the road to the perpetrators house and rang the bell. When the door was answered he said "Yours I believe!" and deposited the turd on the hall carpet and walked off.

Unfortunately, it was the wrong house and the turd was posted back through his letterbox with a note saying "Try 32". He did and we had no more problems.

**** Edited to add that I beat a personal best last Saturday for the number of dogs on a narrowboat. Its now seven. Any more and I am going cruiser stern!

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

There's no law against a dog crapping on the tow path.

ken

I think you are wrong!

(Paraphrased)

. . . a public space or private land to which the public have regular access to . . .

That'll be the towpath then.

I post a link to Keep Britian Tidy and someone tells me my link doesnt work. I try my Keep Britian Tidy link and it works. No problem. It is not until several people tell me the link doesn't work that eventually it dawns on me it is not the KBT link that doesnt work but the links in my signature. Poor communication peeps.

Maffi's Boat can be googled but I will correct it. It is also on my profile.

Shed a tear was a story about a young muslim girl who though married at about 10 was treated as a slave by her husband and his family and was beaten mecilessly almost to death. If any one really wants to read it I will get the link.

I post a link to Keep Britian Tidy and someone tells me my link doesnt work. I try my Keep Britian Tidy link and it works. No problem. It is not until several people tell me the link doesn't work that eventually it dawns on me it is not the KBT link that doesnt work but the links in my signature. Poor communication peeps.

But this is the post you actually quoted.....

Maffi Ive just clicked on what I take to be the link to your blog and just get one of those Domain page thingys is this correct?

when you replied.....

Just clicked it and it goes straight there.

So I think Stuart's communication was clear enough, but you haven't taken in the actual words he used in what you quoted.

ken

Just in case you missed it Granddad

Whose responsibility is it to clear away dog fouling?

It is the the responsibility of the dog owner or the person in charge of the dog to clear up any dog foul left by their dog. If you fail to clean up after your dog you can be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice, or if the case goes to court a fine of up to £1000.

The regulations state specifically, that being unaware that the dog has fouled, or not having a suitable means of removing the faeces is not a reasonable excuse for failing to clean up after your dog.

Based on the above we can assume one thing, you are WRONG!

Edited by Maffi

But this is the post you actually quoted.....

when you replied.....

So I think Stuart's communication was clear enough, but you haven't taken in the actual words he used in what you quoted.

Alan you might read every word but when I post a link the only words I read were the link doesn't work.

It is fair ro assume that when I post a link and someone complains about a link not working I would automatically think the reference was to the posted link.

Really?? - I don't believe this earlier post could have been much clearer -

No Maffi - sorry for the confusion both Stuart (soldthehouse) and I reside in the North East of England that is what that reference was about.

It's the links in your signature that aren't working... not the ones about keep Britain tidy...

I've added colour to the specific bit

- anyway I believe those of us pointing it out were only being helpful but you seem to have taken it rather differently.....hey ho...

ken

Oh really?

I suppose that you must be right, just as long as we ignore;

Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996

Do try doing just a modicum of research before spouting complete nonsense

Alan you might read every word but when I post a link the only words I read were the link doesn't work.

It is fair ro assume that when I post a link and someone complains about a link not working I would automatically think the reference was to the posted link.

I don't think it particularly fair that when (at least) 3 different people have told you quite clearly that it's the link to your blog that doesn't work to then complain about "Poor communication peeps".

The tone of that (to me) is that other people have got something wrong, whereas the reality is you didn't read what (at least) 3 people have clearly written, before giving your reply.

I assumed the complaint was about their poor communication skills, not yours, and I think most other people would read your comment that way to.

you can pretend you pick it all you want, there is shit every few meters out there to prove you wrong. This does NOT include the bagged stuff hanging in random places and has been there for weeks/months.

Bins? why should our taxes pay for your dogs shit? explain?

do something good for the economy/environment/society and teach it to shit at home.

Dont take dog off your grounds for a walk untill its empty. :angry:

strange world we live in. Cant smoke in a public place but shitting in public places is ok? lol :wacko::wacko:

Tax for bins or endure the dog shit. Dogs and humans have co-existed since long before taxes were invented. If dog shit is something that makes you that angry, do something about it. No, posting on a forum doesn't count.

Anyway, lets keep polishing the canals to an unworkable shine. Back when they were first in use there would have been human shit in the canals, horse shit on the banks and dog shit in both. Will we be shooting all birds within 20m of the canal next? I hear they sometimes shit on people's shiny paintwork too....

Count yourselves lucky.

Edited by Morat

you can pretend you pick it all you want, there is shit every few meters out there to prove you wrong. This does NOT include the bagged stuff hanging in random places and has been there for weeks/months.

Bins? why should our taxes pay for your dogs shit? explain?

do something good for the economy/environment/society and teach it to shit at home.

Dont take dog off your grounds for a walk untill its empty. :angry:

strange world we live in. Cant smoke in a public place but shitting in public places is ok? lol :wacko::wacko:

Look, I dont need to pretend I pick up because it is a reality. If you were not looking through such a red mist you would be aware that I am in agreement with you, that not picking up is disgusting and a blight on the towpath, waiting to give us all a very unpleasant surprise. As far as bins are concerned, if it contributes towards keeping the towpaths clean for everyone to enjoy, I consider it a good use of taxpayers money. There seems to be many more elaborate ways of wasting taxpayers money.

I hear they sometimes shit on people's shiny paintwork too....

Actually for some reason I find the ducks seem to dump on my rear fender - totally unsure as to why...

i just wondered if the chemistry of canine waste product could be altered by diet,the end product could be utilised as a fertiliser?

lots of people use horse dung as a nutrient for roses,if dogs could be persuaded to become vegetarian,the flower boxes that adorn many boats would be enhanced?

A bit dodgy for the dog going to the loo on the roof though!

Martyn

Tax for bins or endure the dog shit.

Sorry, but I cannot agree.

As a dog owner, it is MY responsibility to ensure that the dog shit is removed.

If a bin is provided, and if dispensers of handy bags are also provided (as they are on the canals in Stockport MB), then I am grateful for that, but in no way shape or form would I ever assume that the lack of such provision exempts me from picking up the crap.

It is called personal responsibility.

Look, I dont need to pretend I pick up because it is a reality.

As do I.

The difference is that you fondly imagine that all dog owners do so, and you appear to dislike any suggestion that your fellow dog owners are not, to a man and woman, salt of the earth law abiding types.

The truth is that a significant number couldn't give a toss.

Guest Quo Vadis

One of the worst thing to happen to dog fouling is the advent of the mobile phone.

I often see owners, bag-in-hand, so absorbed in texting etc. that they completely miss the fact that their dog just crapped on the path, or cocked it's leg on the water point. They blindly carry on thinking that they are responsible owners, but they are just like the rest ... in fact, they ARE the rest!

As for leaving plastic bags of dogshit anywhere .... that completely re-defines the word civilised.

One of the worst thing to happen to dog fouling is the advent of the mobile phone.

The mobile phone is, to such people, merely the latest addition to the armoury.

It is there as a useful prop to support the assertion "Oh, I didn't notice him having a crap".

We always pick up..we also sit in our boat and watch others that don't. We leave a pack of poo bags readily available. .On the stern of our boat..with a note saying feel free to take 1. Then you get the jokers who cruise by..with the dogs running along the towpath..who have no intention of picking up. Its not the dogs fault.its lazy inconsiderate owners. We used to see 1 lady regularly not pick up..even when challenged..so I picked up after her..bagged it and posted it through her letterbox. She called the police..nice policeman really struggled to keep a straight face..I admitted I had done it and explained I was just returning her property. The outcome was she picks up by us now lol.

• Greenie 1