Travel Power cable

CJR

Featured Posts

I was having a root around in the engine room the other day - as you do - and this caught my eye and gave me a bit of concern. See picture below. This is the cable that comes from the 240v alternator to the travelpower unit. It is under one metre from the alternator. Looks like a burn mark where something has overheated?

Travelpowercable-1.jpg

It was cable tied to a steel securing point along with the other cables, but I have seperated it from the other wires as shown. Would it be possible for it to short out through the armoured cable? We have not noticed any problems with the travelpack.

Any ideas anyone?

.... Looks like a burn mark where something has overheated?

It was cable tied to a steel securing point along with the other cables,...

Any ideas anyone?

It looks to me like the braided sheathing has been damaged by rubbing against the 'steel securing point' and the discolouration is rust from the 'steel securing point'.

HTH

Travelpowercable-2.jpg

Hope this is clearer? A bit blurry now though. (I've just contradicted myself there!)

I think it is definately a heat source, as the brown marking is scorched plastic casing from the other cable it was next to.

Edited by CJR

Yeah, i wouldnt be happy with that.

Replacing it is a good first port of call, but i wouldnt mind knowing why its got that hot also. Certainly i would be speaking to the manufacture if i could.

Daniel

I agree, replace it immediatly . Pull it apart afterwards to investigate.

As this seems very localised I suspect that the cable had been "kinked" at that point breaking a number of strands of one of the wires causing local overheating. This would probably have been done when initially running out the cable . It will only get worse. Could cause a fire,

I agree, replace it immediatly . Pull it apart afterwards to investigate.

As this seems very localised I suspect that the cable had been "kinked" at that point breaking a number of strands of one of the wires causing local overheating. This would probably have been done when initially running out the cable . It will only get worse. Could cause a fire,

I've contacted Beta Marine today (as they supplied the unit) and sent them an email with the last picture taken. Will let you know what they say....

Edited by CJR

Have they come back to you yet?

Tony

Just spoken to them again, and they were very helpful, and they have asked to see a few more pictures of the installation (which is fair enough) - just to make sure it has been done professionally and not botched. They have only heard of this happening once before where the cable had been clamped and damaged at installation stage.

My main query was - why had it not tripped out? The photos are going to be passed on the manufacturer to try to find a reason why it has becomed damaged, and have been advised (wisely) not to use the unit!!

The unit is around 2 years old and I cannot tell when it happened. It was sheer luck that I found it at all.

I will come back to you all again when I have more info....

I agree replace ASAP and don't run until it is replaced. I have just had to shell out a lot having my travel power box rebuilt as the cable had gone down to earth and fried the components. The cables are about £50, I got mine from Cox autoelectrical.

My main query was - why had it not tripped out?

Basically because the electornics are on the other end of it. There is an alternator then that cable. There is no reason why it would trip out as a result of a fault in that cable. The only way to do that would be to fuse it at the alternator end.

Basically because the electornics are on the other end of it. There is an alternator then that cable. There is no reason why it would trip out as a result of a fault in that cable. The only way to do that would be to fuse it at the alternator end.

Got you. I see what you mean - thanks. So if it totally shorted out, there is no way to stop it if the engine is running? The alternator will keep pumping the current out? You would think there would be some sort of sensor to cut out the power if a fault was detected.

I suspect that the sheath (braided screen) is conducting sufficient current to get hot enough to burn/melt the adjacent (maybe contacting?) plastic conduit. The image does not indicate internal damage to the cable. I would not expect this screen to be used as a conductor. Maybe there is a missing or poor connection between the battery and the engine?

I know nothing about the Travelpower unit but I suspect it provides high frequency AC to be converted externally to 240v 50Hz? Thus the need for screening to reduce radio frequency interference?

Alan

Got you. I see what you mean - thanks. So if it totally shorted out, there is no way to stop it if the engine is running? The alternator will keep pumping the current out? You would think there would be some sort of sensor to cut out the power if a fault was detected.

If that's the case would the cable still be live with the engine running even with the unit turned off. If so should you remove the drive belt until its fixed if you wish to run the engine

I suspect that the sheath (braided screen) is conducting sufficient current to get hot enough to burn/melt the adjacent (maybe contacting?) plastic conduit.

I think you could be onto something there, Alan. If there's a dodgy 'earth' connection at either end of the cab;e, then the screen would be supplying the return path. Maybe not, but it's a good thought.

To the OP - if you disconnect the plug at each end of the cable (with the engine stopped of course) do the connectors look good? Or do one or more pins look burned/corroded? Always assuming that there is a plug at each end of the cable.

Tony

Initially I thought all that's happened here is that the braiding and one of the wires inside has been worn through leaving a slight contact between them. This is still a possibility.

That braiding could easily handle at least 10 times the current capability of the alternator so it's definitely not that the braiding has been passing normal operating current.

However...........

It was cable tied to a steel securing point along with the other cables....

That braiding is connected to the casing of the alternator and the casing of the control box.

Have you had any arc welding done? Ever? Since that unit was fitted?

I think you could be onto something there, Alan. If there's a dodgy 'earth' connection at either end of the cab;e, then the screen would be supplying the return path. Maybe not, but it's a good thought.

To the OP - if you disconnect the plug at each end of the cable (with the engine stopped of course) do the connectors look good? Or do one or more pins look burned/corroded? Always assuming that there is a plug at each end of the cable.

Tony

Just took your advice and had a look. The terminal block into the control panel seems all clean, and from the alternator looks good too. But did notice on the armoured cable, just below the burn mark, there is a bulge and it seems very hard there and on the burn iself it is also very hard, compared to the rest of cable is very flexible. This seems to indicate that the wires inside the armoured sheath may have overheated and gone britle which makes it feel hard. Looking like wire damage to me, but we are still waiting to hear back from Beta as they have now forwarded our pictures to the manufacturer. They initially seemed to think that the plastic cable tie had done the damage - but I don't think that is very likely!

Do you think I should remove the belt from the alternator to disable it entirely? Or is it OK just not to switch the travelpack on when the engine is running?

Here are a couple of pictures showing the alternator and the cable going into the travelpack.

PA050692.jpg

PA050694.jpg