NB 'Talpidae'

Moley

Featured Posts

Right, just so you can all see what I've let myself in for, and so I can keep tabs on my own progress, I reckon it's time I started off one of these build logs. But first a bit of background.

OCM and I had been considering a narrowboat holiday for some time, and this year we got the opportunity, so spent the last week of Aug / beginning of Sept. doing the 4 Counties, plus an extension into home territory down the Staffs & Worcs.

As we like 'doing stuff' holidays, and the great outdoors, and places where hordes of British tourists aren't, and proper pubs etc, this suited us perfectly. We liked the freedom, we liked the pace, and we liked the vast majority of the people we met, so one day we would seriously consider life on the water. With school-age kids, this isn't really an option just yet, but it's certainly a way of life that we'd like to be a part of, so after looking at what we could and couldn't afford, NB formerly known as 'Deal' was purchased within 3 weeks of our return.

C15090501.jpg

C15090504.jpg

Diglis Basins in Worcester have been her home for several years. However, these basins are now being revamped with new pontoons etc. and the inner basin has now been drained, all boats being double-moored all along the towpath, and I gather the local council are getting stroppy about the towpath being returned to public use, so many boats will have to move on elsewhere for the time being, then in a year or so’s time SOME of them MAY be allowed to return.

By an incredible stroke of luck, being in the right place at the right time and having a basin officer who knows what’s going on in the area, we’ve now moved her on to new moorings within 2 miles of home in Kidderminster:

C02100501.jpg

and she’s looking better already, from the outside at least, just by cleaning up and losing all the rubbish off the roof, though not quite in keeping with the neighbours:

C02100504.jpg

The inside is a completely different story, which I’ll update soon ........ watch this space.

Adrian.

So, moving inside from the unusually square and rather large cruiser deck (but at least the steps form part of the stern and don’t encroach on the cabin space) we enter the rear bedroom, complete with oddly fitted shelves, battens serving no purpose whatsoever, and a rather curiously situated single bunk over the permanent double bed.

C16090501.jpg

A narrow passageway then leads between toilet and shower cubicles to the sumptuously appointed galley, complete with cracked tiles, quality hi-fi system (in roughly sawn and screwed together part-ply-part-laminated-flooring cabinets), and breakfast bar (which is OK until you touch the cabin sides, when rotten splinters and rust are deposited on everything).

C16090502.jpg

The guided tour then takes us on to the saloon area with tongue and groove effect ply panelling just about hanging on the upper walls and a mixture of t&g, laminated flooring and blue cord carpet to the lower. Note also the superb quality of joinery and how well the guest bed assembles.

C16090505.jpg

All in all, she doesn’t look too bad, but appearances can be deceptive. I expected to be doing a major refit, however, when I started to remove previous owner’s handiwork:

C18090502.jpg

the true extent of the project started to become apparent, and everything is now coming out, including the kitchen sink.

C09100502.jpg

C09100505.jpg

It looks like the kitchen sink, toilet, paloma and solid fuel stove might be the only things that will be retained, but the boat should be totally stripped by this coming weekend, so the story will be continued.

Ade.

What a great looking mooring - you certainly appear to have struck lucky there.....

She looks pretty good on the outside, now you've cleaned the clutter, and I can't see the neighbours complaining too much, unless your refit proves very noisy!

Love your description of the inside, but to be honest, before you started stripping it, the pictures don't look a lot worse than some from some of the brokerages who are asking serious money for boats with a lot of enthusiastic, but not always skilled, owner refit.

I think your estate agent like description missed out what looks like some kind of coat rack / shelf high up on one side, but looking like it was designed to be fitted to something vertical, rather than sloped cabin sides :D

And that loo looks a bit public, the way you have it now.

Good luck with the project - I look forward to future posts as it all starts to come together again.

Thanks for that Ade. I think it looks a characterful boat with that distinctive stern. Nice.

I look forward to seeing how it comes along inside.

Yeh its nice to see something a bit different to all these cloned so called 'trads' that seem to populate the waterways now.

Gary

Edited by Gary Stacey

• 4 weeks later...

A few weeks on, and the scale of the project having become fully evident, progress is now being made.

Slowly.

It has also become noticeable that I’m now the only one doing the work. That is not a criticism of OCM. While Lynn was willing and able to help with most of the stripping-out and would gladly help with a wire brush or paintbrush, the main problem is the kids. The boat’s empty, there’s really nothing we can get them involved with, and after we’ve sent them up the towpath to Tesco for a value loaf to feed the ducks and swans they get bored too quickly, and while they’ll no doubt be happy enough when we start having holidays and weekends away they just can’t seem to grasp that it would be helpful if they would keep quiet, amuse themselves and allow us to work together for a while. Frankly, they’re just a bloody nuisance and I can get more done on my own.

The clocks going back and evenings now being dark didn’t help, as I could now only work weekends (which are usually disrupted by other tasks, obligations and family commitments), but now I’ve got some mains electrickery onboard I can do an hour or two most evenings.

At the risk of repeating myself from other threads, just about everything that could leak (plumbing connections, windows etc.) has leaked, for years, and has got into the ‘dry’ bilge and under the paving slab ballast (which was laid directly on the steel), so I’ve been removing rust with scrapers, hammer and chisel, wire brush and shovel. The entire base and lower sides is then getting the Vactan treatment (that stuff really is the pup’s nuts - thanks Chris) and two coats of bitumen before re-laying slabs (an old, heavy-duty hosepipe has been chopped into 2ft lengths for supports).

25100501.jpg

25100503.jpg

25100502.jpg

05110501.jpg

The base being divided into 24 panels allows me to assess my progress, and I now have 6/24ths (or one quarter) fully finished and a further six panels with the bulk of the rust removed and almost ready for Vactan.

Most of the original primer on the sides, above and below gunwhales, remains intact, apart from areas around and below windows.

25100505.jpg

All windows have now been removed, frames cleaned up, openings cleaned and rust treated, and re-fitted with copious quantities of silicone so, apart from a flue hole taped up with polythene, she’s now dry on the inside.

The ceiling was a different matter, with varying degrees of condensation damage behind the insulation.

Just about all of the inside has now been wire-brushed with varying degrees of ferocity. She might only be a 45-footer with a 33ft cabin, but that still represents a helluva surface area! Superficial rust has been brushed back and given a new coat of red oxide primer, serious or pitted rust has been scraped, scrubbed and Vactanned. The whole of the inside is also getting a coat of silver Hammerite for various reasons:

1. I reckon everywhere needs a coat of something or other,

2. Hammerite is tough and protective,

3. The silver might be heat reflective,

4. I can see exactly where I’ve done, and that I'm getting somewhere,

5. It was on offer.

The ceiling being divided into 56 panels also allows me to quantify my progress, and as of yesterday 39/56th is finished and a further 13/56ths has been primed or Vactanned ready for Hammerite tonight, leaving just 4/56ths ready for the Vactan (but I hadn’t got any more onboard and I had to quit early ‘cos the kids wanted to go to a firework display).

So, in short, the back half is coming on nicely and will soon be ready for new flooring and insulation

C06110501.jpg

but the front half’s still a builder’s yard, although, as the galley, toilet and shower were all behind the halfway line, I’m hoping the front base shouldn’t be as bad. Time will tell.

C06110504.jpg

Finally, in reply to Stuart’s request, the injin’ole (which I’ve not yet braved!)

C06110505.jpg

C06110507.jpg

and the wiring passed a BSS only a year ago ?!?!

Ade.

Edited by Moley

Hi Adrian.

Great progress in a short time, nice to see someone doing a job in a logical organised manner. Don't envy you tackling that engine bay though.

I agree! Very impressive progress Ade!

I admire your stamina, and if you are trying to do it with kids in the background, I realise only too well how quickly boredom threasholds are reached. Also I'ts not getting to be the friendliest time to be on board - unless you can arrange some heating ?

I'm astounded by your progress - it makes me feel quite guilty - my efforts to date have only been tinkering by comparison.

I agree with John - that engine bay looks like it's going to be a bit of a challenge to clean up, but at least there appears to be enough oil and grease on some bits of it, that it may have kept the corrosion at bay :)

One thing I've never thought about before, on this style of cruiser stern.... If your cabin steps are external to the cabin, presumably there is no option but for these to have some kind of drain at their lower end, such that the water ends up in the engine bilge ? Is that how it's done, please ?

Keep it up!

Alan

Great work there Ade. As mentioned the engine 'ole does look like hard work - but keep that covered up till you done the inside or else your motivation will run out very quickly!!

The silver internals of your boat remind me of after you fit the insulation sheet - you realise what a christmas turkey feels like then in foil!

Alan.

My friend has a Liverpool cruiser stern with external steps, I have never found the water that they collect is that much of a problem, just store the mop bucket under the drain holes. What did tend to happen, rainwater would hit the timber door which would be permanently damp, swelled up and tended to transmit moisture inside the boat.

I designed and had made a canvas cover which is clipped above the door and fastened down with 'Bungie' straps, it forms a sort of wedge shape covering all the door and step area it diverts all the rainwater onto the deck where it drains away.

Ale.

Getting rid of all that oil and gunge is a long job. Pump out the worst of it into a container for disposal. Then every time you visit the boat spray or brush on some Gunk, Jizer or similar stuff around the area, hose it down and pump it out, after 20 or 30 such operations it will be in a condition that it will not seem so daunting and will be sufficiently de-greased that you can think about painting it.

Thanks to all for the feedback and encouragement.

Yes Alan, all the rainwater that goes down the steps ends up in the bilge, as does most from the deck, but none gets through the door. The whole steps assembly lifts out for better access to the mechanicals. At the moment she's only got a manual bilge pump, but I'll fit an auto and probably a tonneau-type cover in due course.

As for the BMC, it goes, and has got anti-freeze, so that 'ole ain't high on my 'to do' list, but I accept that I'm going to have to get down and dirty before too long.

Ade.

Thanks to all for the feedback and encouragement.

Yes Alan, all the rainwater that goes down the steps ends up in the bilge, as does most from the deck, but none gets through the door. The whole steps assembly lifts out for better access to the mechanicals. At the moment she's only got a manual bilge pump, but I'll fit an auto and probably a tonneau-type cover in due course.

As for the BMC, it goes, and has got anti-freeze, so that 'ole ain't high on my 'to do' list, but I accept that I'm going to have to get down and dirty before too long.

Ade.

Crikey your engine area looks worse than mine and THAT is saying something (Eh John?). I'm going to be into this soon, I will do the engine area first me thinks, that is after welding a new bottom on. Well done so far, hope I can do as well in the time.

Crikey your engine area looks worse than mine and THAT is saying something (Eh John?). I'm going to be into this soon, I will do the engine area first me thinks, that is after welding a new bottom on. Well done so far, hope I can do as well in the time.

Sorry.

Anthony's boat takes first prize, he has got a mobile phone in there somewhere that his surveyor dropped, probably never be seen again.

One thing I've never thought about before, on this style of cruiser stern.... If your cabin steps are external to the cabin, presumably there is no option but for these to have some kind of drain at their lower end, such that the water ends up in the engine bilge ? Is that how it's done, please ?

On my Liverpool Boats cruiser stern, I put a skin fitting through the bottom step, with a couple of wide slots put across it with an angle grinder. This allows the water to drain through it down to the level of the step. the skin fitting is connected to a pipe that runs back to the little bilge under the stern tube. this way the main engine bilge stays reasonably dry.

I also put a hole throuhg the riser about an inch above the bottom so that if the pipe became blocked, the water could escape through to the engine bilge rather than run over the door cill.

Worked well for two years now. You do need to keep the channels clear though.

Quite a productive weekend, so it’s weekly update time, but I hope you’ll excuse me for going way off topic.

I lost my Dad last year to a heart attack at age 78. He was one of those guys who never had a day off sick in his life, who you expected to go on forever, and then bang, just not there anymore!

I have always tended to ‘live for today’ but this business of “now you see me - now you don’t” has reinforced my attitudes, so, for example, if I want a boat I’ll have a boat.

Although Mom is still around, any savings Dad had in his own name (as opposed to joint) were split down the middle between me and my sister, which went a good way towards us being able to buy a boat.

A gentleman, a craftsman and a bloody good engineer, have a go at everything, make or mend just about anything, jack-of-all-trades (and master of most), I have also inherited a wide range of skills from him, and it’s entirely down to him that I am able to take on a project like this, and will be able to do all my own carpentry, plumbing and wiring. Thanks for everything Dad.

Just a week after losing Dad I also lost an uncle (Dad was his last true friend, and at the age of 90 he just decided he’d had enough), and although not well-off, he also left me a few quid.

As it’s never a good idea to tell OCM everything, I tossed a roll of notes into a home-made vase on a top shelf and, with everything else going on, promptly forgot about it.

My daughter is doing some pottery at school and, having told her teacher that I’ve got a wheel and kiln, wanted to take a few of my pots in to show. Sum o’ mi pot’ry:

Pots02.jpg

So I lifted a vase from a top shelf and WOW - two hundred quid! That’s my insulation paid for - thanks Tom.

Getting back on topic, still a little bit of painting to do, no tinsel or baubles yet but looking very Christmassy, ceiling’s finished, above gunwhales 98% finished, below gunwhales now about 75%

C13110501.jpg

pointy end not quite as much of an obstacle course

C13110502.jpg

base plates stuck at 25%, but that quarter’s got new flooring down too.

Although it has been quite a pleasant weekend, doesn’t the temperature drop quickly! Methinks some insulation is called for.

Ade.

Hi Ade.

Looks like good progress, always nice when you reach the stage of putting stuff into the boat as opposed to dragging it out, the next water-shed is when you have a nice flat floor to walk on. Things keep getting better from then on (don't know about that engine bay though). As I said before spend 10 minutes on it every time you go.

I'm probably going to be very boring, by saying more or less what I've said before, but I remain truly impressed by your progress, given that you are trying to juggle this alongside work and a family.

It's amazing how much better it looks each time.

I know exactly what you mean on the theme of "I'll have it now rather than later", (my words, not yours, I know...).

My wife and I were considering the purchase of a boat "in a few years time", whilst starting to watch the market, and educate ourselves more fully on the topic.

Then we heard of quite a few apparently very health people being struck down by nasty things, and came to the realisation that if we don't bite the bullet whilst we are young enough and fit enough, that we might never get to realise our dreams.

So a boat was bought, (.....sorry about the inheritance, children!...)

I wouldn't say it's yet worked out 100%. It's probably going to be harder to get the co-operation of an unenthusiastic son, not yet old enough to be left on his own too long, than to sort out a larger than anticipated list of issues with the boat. (And we were realistic enough to know that quite a bit of work was required).

But we will get there, and by having it now, we have already got some good enjoyment out of it, and have every opportunity now to get it in best possible order, and things changed the way we want them, ready to REALLY use it in the not too far distant future.

Please keep posting the piccies - your attitude to this is a tonic to us all, I'm sure.

p.s. Ours was on slip last week, and (I assume) in the wet dock this week - hopefully having fabrication and engineering jobs done that mostly fall into the "I haven't got the skills to try" category. I have to admit I'm quite apprehensive about how "finished off" some of the jobs will be, and how much will still be left for me to tidy up, paint, etc. Hopefully, by Friday, all will become clear!....

You have a kiln!!!! I'm very envious. Cool pots too!

I'm sure that creativity has been passed on to your kids Ade, so you can set them to painting their vision of your finished boat (inside and out). That'll keep em occupied for a bit while you work and you could post the results on here? They'd be bound to get some good feedback for their artwork on this site!

• 1 month later...

An update seems long overdue, not that there’s a great deal to report.

Cold weather, short days, Christmas getting in the way, weekends and the holiday being messed up with assorted family commitments all combine to halt progress. It’s been great, however, to get a couple of mild days and escape to the boat for a few hours, and things are moving again.

I had stopped work on the base plates to sort out my insulation, well that’s pretty much all in place now, so I’m back onto the Vactan and bitumen. Another section is finished and floored, and the back end will be all done if we get a mild weekend. Front end has become a timber yard, but I’m about ready to start lining the rear hull, then I can lift the front flooring. Time to get another order into Screwfix.

Anyway, not a lot of progress to show, but here are the pics:

C03010601.jpg

C03010602.jpg

Edited by Moley

An update seems long overdue, not that there’s a great deal to report.

Cold weather, short days, Christmas getting in the way, weekends and the holiday being messed up with assorted family commitments all combine to halt progress. It’s been great, however, to get a couple of mild days and escape to the boat for a few hours, and things are moving again.

I had stopped work on the base plates to sort out my insulation, well that’s pretty much all in place now, so I’m back onto the Vactan and bitumen. Another section is finished and floored, and the back end will be all done if we get a mild weekend. Front end has become a timber yard, but I’m about ready to start lining the rear hull, then I can lift the front flooring. Time to get another order into Screwfix.

Excellent progress Ade - you continue to shame those of us with less to do, but much less achieved.

One of the pictures looks like you may have bricked up the back door, but as you don't mention it, I guess it's a wall behind the boat :)

I'm still interested in your insulation, as I need to source some replacement for Chalice, and haven't found anything suitable locally yet.

Looks like you have used Rockwool batts below the gunnels, but what, exactly is the silver covered stuff above ?

What's the rationale to two different materials, and what thicknesses have you ended up with, please ? What actually happens at the gunnels themselves - does the Rockwool curve round to meet whatever you are using on the sides ?