Gas prices

Gareth E

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Gareth E said:

Does anyone know how many litres of gas there are in a 13KG bottle?

I'll give it another five posts before we are into the legality or otherwise of filling your own LPG bottles in the boot of your cart at a LPG filling station...

1 minute ago, Gareth E said:

Go on, spill the beans..

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

Go on, spill the beans..

I litre of PROPANE gas = 1.96kg (so approx. 1/2 litre to 1kg,)

(Corrected in a subsequent post)

(Vehicle gas and Butane weigh differently to Propane.)

At home I actually have a 'humungous' Calor gas tank filled by an Artic-Tanker and I buy my gas by the litre.

It works out much cheaper but there is a monthly Rental charge for the 'hire' of the tank.

• LPG (propane) kg to litres: 1kg = 1.96L

• LPG (propane) litres to kg: 1L = 0.51kg

• *LPG (propane) kg to m³: 1kg = 0.53m³

• ^LPG (propane) m³ to kg: 1m³ = 1.89kg

• *LPG (propane) litres to m³: 1L = 0.27m³

• ^LPG (propane) m³ to litres: 1m³ = 3.70L

• LPG (propane) MJ to kWh: 1MJ = 0.278kWh

• LPG (propane) kWh to MJ: 1kWh = 3.6 MJ

• LPG (propane) litres to MJ: 1L = 25MJ

• LPG (propane) MJ to litres: 1MJ = 0.042L

• LPG (propane) kg to MJ: 1kg = 49MJ

• LPG (propane) MJ to kg: 1MJ = 0.02kg

• LPG (propane) litres to kWh: 1L = 6.9kWh

• LPG (propane) kWh to litres: 1kWh = 0.145L

• LPG (propane) kg to kWh: 1kg = 13.6kWh

• LPG (propane) kWh to kg: 1kWh = 0.074kg

*Note that these are Liquid to Gas conversions
^Note that these are Gas to Liquid conversions
Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

That's where the gas comes from.He fills his own (only two posts mike)

More seriously, Calor might have statistics showing a Calor retailer selling at unusually low prices IS actually refilling bottles himself from a domestic bulk storage tank, which is how he can undercut the retail price list so heavily.

So a retailer selling cheap might get their account cancelled on safety grounds, even if Calor are unable to prove anything. 

15 hours ago, Gareth E said:

I was charged over £34 for 13kg today, the same place charge me just over £30 2 months ago. A year ago I was paying £27 and  a year before that around £24. Has lpg massively increased in price or have the suppliers decided to start ripping customers off (even more)?.

Gareth they are ripping you off!! Autogas is still the same price it was last year, in my area that varies from just over 50p a litre to 59.9 pence a litre [guess where we buy ours form]  Calor and the like see a captive market bend you over and roger you rigid with the help of UKLPG

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

More seriously, Calor might have statistics showing a Calor retailer selling at unusually low prices IS actually refilling bottles himself from a domestic bulk storage tank, which is how he can undercut the retail price list so heavily.

So a retailer selling cheap might get their account cancelled on safety grounds, even if Calor are unable to prove anything. 

Which is clearly unacceptable. I expect for the extortionate price Calor charge, they check the integrity/safety of each returned bottle and valve prior to refilling it.

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I litre of PROPANE gas = 1.96kg (so approx. 1/2 litre to 1kg,)

Actually this is wrong by about a factor of four. LPG is about half the density of water, not twice the density. 

SG of liquid propane at 25C is 0.495. 

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-gravity-liquids-d_336.html

22 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

Does anyone know how many litres of gas there are in a 13KG bottle?

26 litres I used to do gas conversions at the garage, at that point I had gas on the boat so I refilled the bottles from my tank did it for years! Now waiting for everyone to scream I will die ?

• Haha 1

At these rip off prices you can understand why so many van/motorhomes have refillable bottles fitted.

I refilled a 13kg cylinder last week, only 10 euros worth of LPG at the local garage, got 16.4 litres, runs my gas hob in the house for about 4-5 months.

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Which is clearly unacceptable. I expect for the extortionate price Calor charge, they check the integrity/safety of each returned bottle and valve prior to refilling it.

They do. The process for filling a bottle at a Calor refilling plant is a lot more complicated than just filling it up with gas.

Just now, peterboat said:

For years Mike, I was fitting them 8-9 years ago which was at the beginning I think

So what exactly do you get on your Calor Approved refillable motorhome? A fixed bottle and pipework I presume. Do you fill it from the petrol station LPG pump? 

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Ooops :

As I showed further down the post - indeed 1 litre = 0.51 Kgs.

So 13kg gas cylinder contains 26 litres of propane.

Yes so not quite the 'foaming at the mouth' rip-off some here originally thought eh!

Especially not once refilling costs, bottle testing and marking costs and transport costs are also added in.

• Horror 1