Alpha Pro Wiring

DasDsm

Featured Posts

Just now, CanalRetentive said:

Thanks, I plan to order it and get it fitted within the next month or two. Then once its in and working with the existing batteries I'll started looking at the BMS/lithium side of things. 

Have bookmarked this page and will revisit when I take it on 👍

Good plan!

• 10 months later...
23 minutes ago, nfluester said:

i know this is a little old but i am looking to mod an Iskra 175 for external P type regulation and saw @Sir Nibble mention there was a dumb brush holder availabl, could i get some more details on this?

thanks

I’m not sure that there is a dumb brush holder, but you could do what I did which is to butcher an existing brush holder. I kept the original as a spare and got one like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180954138116 I’m pretty sure that is the right thing but don’t sue me if it isn’t!

I then snipped the wires to the regulator (you can see them in the picture) and soldered on a wire for the one brush. I seem to recall the other brush is connected to the little ring tab but you’d have to check.

C70AC774-D8D2-4F7C-BA1D-3E58D16C9500.jpeg.01074b43e3de31da4f0db28b42211fa8.jpeg

To remove the brush module you just undo the 3 screws, red-arrowed in the pic. Be careful with the green screw because there is a brass spacer underneath it. You would want to remove this to prevent the ring tab from touching, but you might want to keep in somewhere safe in case you want to put the original brush/regulator back.

B24ECD22-2159-4754-8B94-8777EBEC8710.jpeg.37b1e56cff3080be6c7d44111cdd03a1.jpeg

D2E6D014-6FB8-4D92-87D4-2DED11A9E6DE.jpeg.623e2cff62f5acf43b4412f031812b62.jpeg

Edited by nicknorman

5 hours ago, nfluester said:

i know this is a little old but i am looking to mod an Iskra 175 for external P type regulation and saw @Sir Nibble mention there was a dumb brush holder availabl, could i get some more details on this?

thanks

Beta Marine have them (to allow use of external regulators), should let you buy one if you have a Beta engine -- or maybe even if not, it's worth asking them.

17 hours ago, IanD said:

Beta Marine have them (to allow use of external regulators), should let you buy one if you have a Beta engine -- or maybe even if not, it's worth asking them.

that would be awesome if there is an off the shelf part that just screws in, i rang Beta but they didnt really know anything about it, @IanD do you have any more info on this?

11 minutes ago, nfluester said:

that would be awesome if there is an off the shelf part that just screws in, i rang Beta but they didnt really know anything about it, @IanD do you have any more info on this?

I talked to Beta in 2020 about installing a Beta 43 with two Iskra 24V 80A alternators and an external controller (Wakespeed WS500) to charge a big 48V house battery bank, and they said they could supply an engine with the alternators fitted with brush boxes to allow this instead of the standard internal regulators -- contact was Tim Watts, see attached.

brush box.png

Edited by IanD

19 hours ago, IanD said:

I talked to Beta in 2020 about installing a Beta 43 with two Iskra 24V 80A alternators and an external controller (Wakespeed WS500) to charge a big 48V house battery bank, and they said they could supply an engine with the alternators fitted with brush boxes to allow this instead of the standard internal regulators -- contact was Tim Watts, see attached.

brush box.png

Just an observation but you said it was for an Iskra alternator but the email mentions a Balmar alternator.  So maybe not.