Big Balls

___

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I agree, but it would be useful if NBs had a white light at the stern so you can see where they are when you are following them in a tunnel. I always put my nav lights on in a tunnel but I guess only the white rear facing one can be seen.

That would result in lots of nervous boaters not being being able to determine if a boat was coming toward or going away from them and stopping unnecessarily.

Maybe a red light? Or perhaps tunnel lights should be aimed downward to pick up the tunnel bands ?

52 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I agree, but it would be useful if NBs had a white light at the stern so you can see where they are when you are following them in a tunnel. I always put my nav lights on in a tunnel but I guess only the white rear facing one can be seen.

Wow-is that why it's called a stern light?:D

Howard

53 minutes ago, howardang said:

Wow-is that why it's called a stern light?:D

Howard

What I was trying to say was that in a tunnel it is likely no one would see the red or green light, unless they were visible from directly in front. That's unlikely as your tunnel light would 'drown' it out....I guess. 

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 17:57, Captain Pegg said:

As I was skirting the lower slopes of Mount Jud this morning I passed a boat going the opposite direction skippered by a man with an enormous pair of balls.

I’m taking about those fenders that folk hang off the side of their stern when moored to stop anyone bashing their rudder (I guess that’s what they are for).

This fella had two - presumably one for the bow as well - and they were gigantic, maybe 3’ plus in diameter and stowed on his roof while he was underway. As I looked back they were clearly on a level with with head so not only would they have filled his natural line of sight he wouldn’t have been able to see the cut directly in front of his boat.

Being a polite kind of guy I  exchanged a friendly greeting. Of course I should have said “Sir, your enormous balls are ridiculous”.

I’ve never really understood the need for those things. What do others think?

JP

I think I've seen this boat - looks ridiculous

8 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

What I was trying to say was that in a tunnel it is likely no one would see the red or green light, unless they were visible from directly in front. That's unlikely as your tunnel light would 'drown' it out....I guess. 

You have nav lights and a tunnel light. 

I just send mrs rusty up front wiv a candle. 

18 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

My boat has a white deck light at the rear,  which I use so that I can see where the controls and steps are. It also shows to the rear, handy for other boats to see where you are if you are unlucky enough to breakdown in a tunnel.