Rule shower waste box

Rory_d

Featured Posts

one of the best systems I have seen used a flow switch on the shower and a timer

as soon as water was going through the shower the gulper pump kicked in, then once water had stopped flowing the pump continued for about 30 seconds

26 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

one of the best systems I have seen used a flow switch on the shower and a timer

as soon as water was going through the shower the gulper pump kicked in, then once water had stopped flowing the pump continued for about 30 seconds

Which is exactly what we have - well, 20 second run-on actually. Yes it works seamlessly but obviously is harder to install tech-wise. The Whale IC sensor seems a pretty good second best for non technical people.

10 hours ago, Jess-- said:

I have this amazing bit of kit known as an " On/Off " switch. Works every time without fault.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Yea but the human operating (or not operating) it is far from fault free.

I am in agreement on this point. As a liveaboard we would absolutely never ever forget to switch it on/off but having worked with hire fleets that still fit them orrible boxes with float switches it has to be said that on more than one occasion when they were not fitted and relied on a manual on/off switch people even though shown on handover simply didnt switch them on. I once went out to one boat with about ten doctor types on and it was swimming as it were with shower water :banghead:

I wanted my system to empty 3 outlets (sink, wash-hand basin and shower) without having to make three separate holes in the hull.  The water is pumped out of the sump box via a Gulper pump which is activated by a float.

Two things to bear in mind: make sure that access is easy and fit an over-ride switch in case the float fails.  I can always tell if there's a problem with a stuck float - a very rare occurrence in my experience - because I can't hear the Gulper pump kicking in.

The Gulper Pump is good at scavenging any debris that might collect in the box and I hardly ever have to clean it out.  

IMG_0153.JPG.4b1ac0c14ddc31202c4df4a119c0ac52.JPG