springer

denboy

Featured Posts

And just how do you insult a boat that's nonsense. There is something universal about the 'aesthetic taste' of a rotting hulk whether it be on a posh Thames mooring or on the Ganges, it is not peculiar to me.
A bit like a badly painted cat's head? I'm sure finding something of that low quality and ugliness distasteful is not peculiar to me. Possibly an indicator of why nobody has come to have a closer look.Everybody tiptoes around you John but you don't care who you may offend.
One of the major changes that has happened on the canals in recent years is the public acceptance and appreciation of what we do, do you really want to turn the clock back.
And what exactly do you do, other than criticise?

I seem to recall a big article about the Springer story. Not sure which magazine (yours Richard?). Iirc the company was originally a husband and wife operation that went a bit pear shaped when they divorced. After that the fella set up again building the water bugs but there was still a problem over the name. I think (but the memory is very vague) that he ended up packing in and moving to the states.

Wasn't there something about the company name 'Springer Engineering Trading as.............'

I recall too that there was a tragic accident in the workshops one of the fitters was killed.

Yes I think his wife (was his name sam springer?) wouldn't loet him use the name springer so I think the company was named water bug but his marketing was, as you say, Springer engineering, trading as water bug. I may be totally wrong, of course. I'm dragging up memories of an article I wasn't overly interested in.

Tried a google, with little effect. The Springer owners club seems to be defunct now.

All I know about Springers is that one of their welders was Jez Harris who played fly half for Leicester Tigers. If his welds were half as good as the way he kicked a rugby ball they will be bl.... good welds!!!

Don't diss the Springer! I love mine :) I heard that Springer went out of business mainly because they wrongly judged the market - they started churning out the smaller 'WaterBugs' just as it became more popular to buy bigger boats.

Don't diss the Springer! I love mine :) I heard that Springer went out of business mainly because they wrongly judged the market - they started churning out the smaller 'WaterBugs' just as it became more popular to buy bigger boats.

Not before they had churned out 500 plus of the things though. They must have got something about right.

I believe they would have struggled to adapt to any market trends that would have taken them away from their niche market,...... in the words of Peter Sarstead.... to shake off their lowly-born tags.

I don't doubt that their welders and engineers could have built to the quality required, just the public's ability to put their faith in Springer should they have attempted to shift upmarket.

As well as the standard Water Bug they also had other standard layouts such as 34ft or 38ft 4-6 berth layouts, but would build non standard ones if desired.

They certainly did....Springer built at least one boat that went well beyond the range of the average narrowboat in the form of a 37ft long bottle. Named the Typhoo Atlantic Challenger, it crossed the Atlantic Ocean from New York to Falmouth in 1990..

typhoo.jpg

I'm considering buying a 50' springer, any special problems, areas of concern? Also can the rather unaesthetic front be altered (cut off, moved sternwards 4' or so and a more normal fore deck arranged) without too much trouble? (I do realise doing this in itself could be defined as trouble)

• 4 years later...

They certainly did....Springer built at least one boat that went well beyond the range of the average narrowboat in the form of a 37ft long bottle. Named the Typhoo Atlantic Challenger, it crossed the Atlantic Ocean from New York to Falmouth in 1990..

typhoo.jpg

Thought I would bring this thread back to life. During a recent trip to Scotland I stumbled across this.

RIMG1581.jpg

RIMG1583.jpg

Edited by Speedwheel

Just to confirm, the company changed name slightly - after the 'bump' from Springer Engineering to Springer (UK).

They were still going in 1992, but it was soon after or on this year that they ceased.

Shame really, I guess amongst other things there was a flood of smaller, budget builders appearing around that time - whilst perhaps no better (many probably worse) I guess they just didn't have that Springer stigma, perhaps their trademark lines and standardised lines didn't help their success on this issue in the end

Dan

Springer had a 70ft nb.on display at the,i think the 1991 or2 IWA festival at Peterborough. bizzard

Springer had a 70ft nb.on display at the,i think the 1991 or2 IWA festival at Peterborough. bizzard

We live on a 70ft X 12ft widebeam Springer. It was originally built for TVam, then spent some years as a trip boat in York.

It was built in 1985 and the survey from 2010 says the steel is a min of 5.9mm thick, more usually between 6.9 and 7.8mm. So I reckon the steel must have been still good stuff in 1985.

Edited by Madmark62