Sunrain Stove Advice Needed Please

Miss Moo

Featured Posts

Hi hope you can help me. I have just installed a sunrain stove on our boat. Just has one door. The problem is im getting smoke coming out if it through the vents, open or closed. I have fitted new rope. I have been told that with a one door stove, you need a long chimney to get the draw. Is this correct? Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Miss Moo said:

Yes it is clean. And new flue pipe. 

It does not draw properly when opening the front vents. But now its got a terrible down draught. Will the chimney length make any difference? 

It should mae a difference but is the existing flue pipe getting nice and hot.

Just now, Miss Moo said:

Yes its getting hot.

Is the chimney outside vertical or laying over at an angle,. If at an angle and the winds in the right direction to blow down it that would happen, otherwise a Coolie hat might help.

Is the flue pipe isolated from the roof collar with a gap all round stuffed with rope like it should be, because if its a close touching fit in the collar coldness will be transferred to it from the roof and collar.

4 minutes ago, Miss Moo said:

Its a baffle plate. But took it off and nothing was on top of it. 

Yes its all new rope fitted. 

If its smoke coming out of the vents, it's not a rope seal problem.  Smoke is an indication of incomplete combustion, and it coming out of the vents indicates a poor draw. 

Here's some other advice if you need it.  New stoves take a little bit of getting used to, particularly if you're learning, and so I'd suggest that technique is the probable cause. At first, see if it helps to get it burning well with kindling before adding regular fuel - for this you'll need vents open and possibly the door slightly ajar to allow more air in initially: you'll be able to tell how much by trial and error, watching the effect on the fire which should almost roar when you find the sweet spot.  Shut the door when the fire is burning well and this doesn't dampen it down too far. Once the box is hot enough, the door will close and the vents will be enough. Then, once you've learned how to get the box properly hot, the jobs a doddle.  As you get the hang of it, you'll get to know your stove and it'll become easier.

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

If its smoke coming out of the vents, it's not a rope seal problem.  Smoke is an indication of incomplete combustion, and it coming out of the vents indicates a poor draw. 

Here's some other advice if you need it.  New stoves take a little bit of getting used to, particularly if you're learning, and so I'd suggest that technique is the probable cause. At first, see if it helps to get it burning well with kindling before adding regular fuel - for this you'll need vents open and possibly the door slightly ajar to allow more air in initially: you'll be able to tell how much by trial and error, watching the effect on the fire which should almost roar when you find the sweet spot.  Shut the door when the fire is burning well and this doesn't dampen it down too far. Once the box is hot enough, the door will close and the vents will be enough. Then, once you've learned how to get the box properly hot, the jobs a doddle.  As you get the hang of it, you'll get to know your stove and it'll become easier.

This is spot on advice, the stove door may need to be open just a bit, at first lighting, as Sea Dog says.

Also, it is possible that a window or door on the boat might help to give initial draught at first. Our old wood burning stove here, in a really large kitchen, almost always needed a door to the outside world open, on first lighting. I think it is all about the small amount of initial flame having to heat up a large block of steel or cast iron, it kills the “suck” of air up the flue.