Welding corroded gas locker

Jean6062

Featured Posts

Hi

currently out of the water for 2 weeks to black hull and water tank. On inspection, the water tank is fine but the gas locker above it is really rusted. While scraping it off I have made 2 holes in the floor near one side. I've stopped bashing it!! Do I now cut out the whole bottom and weld a new plate? Or can I overplate it? But worried water will rust the new plate from below.

thanks

jean

Edited by Jean6062

9 minutes ago, Jean6062 said:

Hi

currently out of the water for 2 weeks to black hull and water tank. On inspection, the water tank is fine but the gas locker above it is really rusted. While scraping it off I have made 2 holes in the floor near one side. I've stopped bashing it!! Do I now cut out the whole bottom and weld a new plate? Or can I overplate it? But worried water will rust the new plate from below.

thanks

jean

The Gas locker floor is now part of the BSS inspection, (Section 7:2:1) I'd suggest having it cut out and replace.

BSS 7:2:1

Visually check the locker construction material and the
condition of all cylinder locker bottoms, sides and
seams.

Up to the level of the top of the cylinder valves, or
other high‐pressure components where these are
higher, the bottom, sides, and seams of every cylinder
locker must be free of any:
• holes, e.g. caused by drilling, rust
or cutting; or ,
• cracks, splits or de‐laminations; or,
• missing or damaged welds at seams; or,
• other signs of damage or deterioration…
…. that can be determined by visual examination to
penetrate the locker to the interior of the vessel.
Cylinder locker bottoms, sides and seams covered by
this check must not rely upon glue or sealant to
prevent any leaked LPG from entering the interior of
the vessel.

1 hour ago, Jean6062 said:

Hi

thanks

jean

Not sure I understand? Doesn't the floor of the gas locker form part of the top of the water tank? I guess not otherwise you wouldn't have said the water tank is fine... 

1 hour ago, Jean6062 said:

Or can I overplate it? But worried water will rust the new plate from below.

thanks

jean

I wouldnt worry much about the new plate rusting from below so much as having rusty water dripping into your water supply from between the two plates and out your new holes!(Condensation,when you fill the tank right up etc) Expect you could seal the holes with something though to minimise it.

20 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Not sure I understand? Doesn't the floor of the gas locker form part of the top of the water tank? I guess not otherwise you wouldn't have said the water tank is fine... 

Sorry it does. The rest of water tank is good, no rust, just the top part that is the floor of the gas tank

It sounds like you have an early Stowe Hill boat, there was a 2" lip at the rear of the gas locker which was the water tank - these are prone to rusting through if not  looked after, and yes, people have had self filling water tanks for quite a while in some cases!!!

16 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

How big is the gas locker hatch?

Big enough for me to get in!!!

14 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It sounds like you have an early Stowe Hill boat, there was a 2" lip at the rear of the gas locker which was the water tank - these are prone to rusting through if not  looked after, and yes, people have had self filling water tanks for quite a while in some cases!!!

It's 1992 Worsley productions (nobody has ever heard of them)

I asked because it matters, you have to be able to get a reasonable size sheet of steel through it in order to replace the locker base. You may have to replace it in 3 or 4 pieces and weld it all back together.

I would take out all the old steel, leaving a small edge all round to support the new whilst it is welded.

Rust underneath is no problem, you will have to black the tank inside, including the top, after the boots have been tramping around in the tank.