BT batteries

blackrose

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I would lay odds Hankook data is similar so Battery Megastore just quote a typical charging voltage rather than the maximum.

17 minutes ago, blackrose said:

First of all today they said 12v ? and then they were saying 13.6 - 13.8v. It was only when pressed they put me on hold again and came back with 14.4v.

I suspect they don’t actually know, so as Tony B suggests, they’re simply quoting typical figures. 

I’ve been unable to track down any data sheets for these batteries to confirm one way or the other. 

Thanks but isn't it ridiculous that the final consumer is left searching in the dark for answers which should have come from the manufacturer, or if not then should have been requested by the supplier. The fact that I have to request the information directly by email from the manufacturer shows that neither are doing their jobs properly.

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Thanks but isn't it ridiculous that the final consumer is left searching in the dark for answers which should have come from the manufacturer, or if not then should have been requested by the supplier. The fact that I have to request the information directly by email from the manufacturer shows that neither are doing their jobs properly.

Generally agree, but why is the manufacturer to blame for bad service from the retailer?  You didn't have to use the retailer you chose ...

25 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Generally agree, but why is the manufacturer to blame for bad service from the retailer?  You didn't have to use the retailer you chose ...

I think you need to read my previous post more carefully. I was blaming BOTH the manufacturer and the retailer, who between them should be able to get the specs to the consumer. Also the reason I chose this particular retailer was that they were recommended on this thread. However, I have looked for the same product elsewhere online but it looks very much like Battery Megastore are the sole distributor in the UK. So it seems that (if the product turns out to be suitable) I would have no choice but to use this particular retailer.

Anyway, I have emailed Hankook directly using the address Tony posted above, so if I get an answer from them I will update this thread.

Edited by blackrose

I suspect here is no absolute gassing voltage and it varies a bit according to thing like temperature, barometric pr4ssure & age but I still think a typical figure or the range should be readily available. However it it was I suspect it might be easier to challenge a suppliers refusal to honour the so called warranty in respect of sulphation, under charging or over charging.

17 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I suspect here is no absolute gassing voltage and it varies a bit according to thing like temperature, barometric pr4ssure & age but I still think a typical figure or the range should be readily available. However it it was I suspect it might be easier to challenge a suppliers refusal to honour the so called warranty in respect of sulphation, under charging or over charging.

Battery warranties are not  worth the paper they are written on , if in fact they are  written on a piece of paper !

The only time i ever had a battery replaced under warranty was  when I bought one that came with a lifetime guarantee providing I kept the car. Which I did for a good  many years.

I tried to return a dud leisure battery to a local marina  a couple of years ago which was  weak after one year. Its partner in the same bank ,bought at the same time was fine and remains in use.  But I received a blunt refusal with the blame firmly placed with me.

After that I decided to go with the cheapest  supplier rather than a local retailer. Oddly enough the cheaper  batteries have performed better than the more expensive batteries thay replaced since I think one of the previous pair was probably not a great performer from new .  The cheap batteries and remain  fine.......... so far.

Not sure I would have given a thought to charging voltage . The charger automatically takes care of that . A lot of fuss about nothing.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/09/2018 at 17:12, Mike the Boilerman said:

Any response from them yet?

No I've been away in East Africa for the last 2 weeks.

However, I finally managed to speak to someone knowlegable at Battery Megastore who told me that Hancook sealed batteries would be fine for max voltages of 14.4 -14.7v. Previously I'd been told 14.4v and with the voltage drop to the bow I know that the charge voltage to my BT batteries is 14.6v. So anyway, he recommended these which I fitted today and they are very powerful indeed. The thruster is working better than ever before. Well, I was using 14 year old batteries! ?

• Edit, sorry I posted this message on the wrong thread earlier today.
  •  
Edited by blackrose