Tardebigge Top Lock

MHS

Featured Posts

We are heading down the Tardebigge flight in a couple of weeks time. We last went down them around 12 years ago.  Am I correct in remembering there’s decent moorings below the top lock if there’s no room above it?

We are then heading down to Droitwich, so looking forward to the challenge of the M5 culvert. 

17 minutes ago, MHS said:

We are heading down the Tardebigge flight in a couple of weeks time. We last went down them around 12 years ago.  Am I correct in remembering there’s decent moorings below the top lock if there’s no room above it?

We are then heading down to Droitwich, so looking forward to the challenge of the M5 culvert. 

Yes you can moor in the long pound below the top lock.

2 hours ago, MHS said:

I’ve never been sure how to pronounce Tardebigge. How do the locals do it?

Tardybigg?

Tardybidge?

I’ve always used the first one. 

The first is close but the middle syllable is more a phonetic 'a' as taught at infant school or an 'uh' sound if you have a more pronounced midland accent. The spelling of the last syllable is archaic rather than important to pronunciation. The emphasis is on the first syllable but not in a major way. The following are all close enough phonetically.

tar-duh-bigg

tar-dah-bigg

tar-deh-bigg

JP