Saving water

Gareth E

Featured Posts

I see the Trust are continuing with further closures/ restrictions up north in order to save water. All well and good but might it not be a good idea to grant an amnesty on the requirement to move, except on time limited visitor moorings, until the situation improves? This should save plenty of lock use and therefore plenty of water. 

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

I see the Trust are continuing with further closures/ restrictions up north in order to save water. All well and good but might it not be a good idea to grant an amnesty on the requirement to move, except on time limited visitor moorings, until the situation improves? This should save plenty of lock use and therefore plenty of water. 

I was thinking the same thing, trying to think where to go to next but whatever I choose it would seem there may be problems. 

I envisage some doubling back may be on the cards. 

They could approach it from a give and take position.... send a communication to all boaters asking them to restrict their movements as much as possible. This should result in less enforced closures of locks. In return, and to encourage the above, grant an amnesty on overstaying/ cruising within a limited range until the water supply problem eases. 

The only possible downside I could see from CRT's view is that they may have a bloody minded attitude towards overstaying, insisting it doesn't happen, even if this incurs greater costs for them or causes inconvenience for large numbers of boaters.

Personally I'm going into water saving mode, will move when practical and will wait to share locks if practical. Happy to let holiday makers and occasional users utilise the water ahead of my needs. 

Just hope they can be just as pragmatic, overall I find they can be when needs must. 

Maybe a simple directive to enforcement officers to relax the rules would do the trick except where abuse takes place on restricted moorings. 

Edited by reg

We had a water saver coming down tardibigge ,  they would not open paddles on lock above us and abused my wife ( only 40 years boating) , when she asked them to. As soon as i opened our top gates they pulled both bottom paddles  on their lock,  sending the water down the bypass. They then abused me for not coming out of the lock and tying up so they could get their 40 foot boat past.  They then stated they were saving water . The reason for the huge amount of water everywhere was the top paddle half open two locks up , bottom gates open, and a half drained pound...water roaring down the overflows.

37 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

We had a water saver coming down tardibigge , 

Could you explain what one of those is Roland? I'm not familiar with the term or whether it's an individual boater you're talking about or CRT staff.

The signs at Bosley last week advised us to save water by sharing locks (they are narrow locks so the biggest boat we could share with would be 3ft long by 7ft wide) and by using the side ponds (which were put out of action years ago on the grounds that they were too expensive to maintain, according to the other sign a few feet away) and by planning our route to pass through as few locks as possible (!!!). Yes CRT really understand how to save water.

19 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

The signs at Bosley last week advised us to save water by planning our route to pass through as few locks as possible (!!!). Yes CRT really understand how to save water.

What crazy talk is this? Surely everyone plans their route to maximize the number of locks, for the sheer fun of it.

21 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

No a private owner who when practices were questioned pointed to a yellow new logo sign zip tied to the lock handrail announced’

’i am a water saver’

Ah, then only demi-official.  They need to get themselves a sticker or a badge before they can claim to be bona fide pseudo-official water savers.  ;)

Do C&RT move you on if you over stay?

I don't over stay but we did stop almost the full 48 hrs at Kiln moorings at Newark  right outside C&RT offices  and didn't notice anyone from C&RT taking note of our presence . The narrowboats that were there when we arrived were all still there when we left. 

Edited by MartynG

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

I don't over stay but we did stop almost the full 48 hrs at Kiln moorings at Newark  right outside C&RT offices  and didn't notice anyone from C&RT taking note of our presence . The narrowboats that were there when we arrived were all still there when we left. 

I bet the one at the back was there there when we were there the other week I think the mooring lines are superglued to the pontoon..

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, MartynG said:

You are still believing that CRT look out of the windows at the boats ⛴️ my experience is the blinds will most likely be closed.