Tv licence dilemna

bastion

Featured Posts

I agree with all the replies here.  The TV people are a bunch of bullie boys that pester and threaten until you give in.  I had a  cottage in North Yorkshire.  Without a dish I couldn't receive  a TV signal, had no TV and made sure my lap top couldn't receive TV.  Theirs were the only letters I found every time I went up there and they gradually got worse despite me replying and stating my case.

In the end I kinda lost the plot and sent them a 'statement' on a legally binding statement form (used to be a policeman) told them i'd save them the time and effort of interviewing me.  They left alone for a year or two then kicked off again.  Advice is, use their letters to light your log burner with !!

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

FM frequency range  is 30Hz to 15kHz does digital streaming exceed this ? I agree that FM is compressed which is why it sounds warmer but that's not the same thing as frequency range.

Well CD’s are 20Hz to 20kHz, AAC at 320kbs is almost indistinguishable between CD.    The likes of stations from the BBC are at this rate (via the Internet).   Radio 3 has also trailed streaming in FLAC as well.   So if you have kit and environment to appreciate the difference then seeking out the Internet stream may be worth it.  It’s not as easy to turn the knob on the receiver tho I grant you that.

edit to add looks like the Absolute Radio stations have a FLAC feed.

Edited by Robbo

2 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Looking at this coverage map ( http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/  ) your experience in Scotland seems interesting since most of Scotland (except between Glasgow and Edinburgh and up the East coast) doesn't seem to have very much coverage. Wales looks a bit of a desert as well. The issues I've had with DAB are also explained by the coverage map since the areas I've hired cars with DAB radio that was a waste of time was in Oxfordshire,Wiltshire,Dorset and the South Hams, all of which apparently have crap coverage. Given that they were supposed to have started switching off analogue transmissions in 2015 to have originally finished by about now, whereas they are now talking about possibly starting to switch off by 2020, it would suggest that take-up hasn't been as high as they were hoping.

I don’t think that map is very accurate - maybe out of date. When I put the postcode of the gliding club in (PH21 1NG) it says no coverage, but my car get DAB there just fine.

On 17/07/2018 at 13:29, Athy said:

I see what you mean. But do they ever in fact come round? I think that I have only once seen a TV detector van, and that was well over 20 years ago.

I had two Capita 'rent a thugs' board the boat while moored on Peterbourgh embankment last year, both wearing stab vests with their size 12 clod hoppers. As I had left the front deck door open to let some cool air in. They just walked in and started looking around the boat. They tried to make out a montior was TV and that I had hid the lead while pointing at the wall socket. Almost all new builds since the 1970's have had the cables preinstalled as standard. I had to call the Police to get rid of them.

boat tv socket.jpg