Stuck below Banbury due to low water, lift bridge 171 blocked by another boat.

Lily Rose

Featured Posts

And I think I' may have moored where Mrsmelly is, last year for our first night on the Thames. Though thinking about it, I'm not sure his big boat would have fitted there whilst our little'un was fine.

I'll say no more unless/until I meet up with him this week as I may want to use that spot again this weekend.

8 hours ago, rgreg said:

Is it the festival traffic already beginning to arrive or just boats passing through?

No, Xerxes isn't there yet - its arrival heralds the unofficial start of festival congestion!

We've just got back from a couple of days on the boat. Lots of traffic through Croppers (well, on a sunny weekend in high summer, there would be, wouldn't there?), mixture of hire and private boats.

We spoke to the couple who got wedged in bridge 171 (an abandoned lift bridge), as they had the table next to ours yesterday evening in the Brasenose's restaurant. They were stuck in there for two hours and reckon they got freed by a boat positioning itself just in front of them and engaging full forward, thus propelling waves under their boat and floating them off. Well done, that boat's crew.

Edited by Athy

22 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

I wonder if they were the same two ladies I spoke to on Saturday as they were about to walk up from bridge 170 to Banbury lock. Perhaps their current duties consist mainly of going up and down the Oxford running water down to keep it going before the hire fleets kick up a stink.

Thanks for the heads up re Kidlington. We should be in Thrupp Tuesday (probably) and through Kidlington at the end of the week. I'd keep an eye out for you if I knew your boat name.

I think they probably were.

Good to see you yesterday, albeit briefly as you were leaving Somerton Deep Lock.

We're in Aynho at the moment and heading for Banbury today. So far the water levels have been better than I'd expected.

54 minutes ago, Grassman said:

I think they probably were.

Good to see you yesterday, albeit briefly as you were leaving Somerton Deep Lock.

We're in Aynho at the moment and heading for Banbury today. So far the water levels have been better than I'd expected.

Good to see you to, always nice to say hello to a fellow CWF member.

Yes, since we left the pound below Banbury every pound has been fine. Don't build your hopes up too much though, the water down here might be at the expense of below Banbury.

We're at Lower Heyford, probably Enslow tonight. Kidlington to look forward to at the end of the week. Hopefully the CRT ladies will have sorted it all out by then with water from the Cherwell.

5 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Good to see you to, always nice to say hello to a fellow CWF member.

Yes, since we left the pound below Banbury every pound has been fine. Don't build your hopes up too much though, the water down here might be at the expense of below Banbury.

We're at Lower Heyford, probably Enslow tonight. Kidlington to look forward to at the end of the week. Hopefully the CRT ladies will have sorted it all out by then with water from the Cherwell.

Kidlington green, the pound below the lock ...........aaaaargh.......took us an age and a large queue. About a foot down in the pound.   Bro in law has a deepish draughted dinosaur boat with a mud weight engine and bang in the middle of the entrance to the bottom of the lock it grounded and took an army of people to drag it into the lock taking well over half an hour!! I of course had no such problem in my up to date for the times boat although no one can get within four feet of the side. Give it a miss today at least everybody. Now at Thrupp bang outside the Jolly so it would be criminal not to go in, or at least it should be :cheers:

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Now at Thrupp bang outside the Jolly so it would be criminal not to go in, or at least it should be :cheers:

Did the bogs smell HORRENDOUS (throwing up territory) like when I was there last?

Put me right off the place FOR LIFE.

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Did the bogs smell HORRENDOUS (throwing up territory) like when I was there last?

Put me right off the place FOR LIFE.

Didn't use them Mike only had one beer then went to the boat ( Pub ) for the evening. Neither pub are tops but the meal was nice at the Boat. You do however get plenty of frying smell from the kitchen fan moored here!! When we owned the tea room here I was always amazed at Thrupps poularity I can think of hundreds of nicer locations.