Shurflo Water pump poor flow

Inverted

Featured Posts

I think I may need to replace the water pump on our boat, as the water flow has dropped from its normal flow rate to barely a trickle.

The pump is a Shurflo Aqua King.

I have tested the pump using a direct 12v feed and the flow is no different, so it looks likely I need a new pump.

However, before I shell out on a new pump I was wondering if there was anything I could check or if there was  a common problem with these pumps.

4 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I have had a look at the pump, however I cannot see a filter. Is the filter built-in to the pump? The supply from the water tank goes directly into the pump. I have attached a photo in case this helps.

IMG_20180519_143736.jpg

No. If it had a filter it will be on the outside between tank (or shut off valve) and pump. 

Check pump inlet and outlet for any obvious blockages. 

Check flow from different outlets on boat, is the flow equally rubbish on all? 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

We have a shurflo pump on Nightwatch. When I have fitted a repair kit every five or six years I have found that the diaphragm has been scaled up with, urm, scale. Might be that the diaphragm may not be as flexible as it should be. If you can, dismantle and drop the bits, the pumps, not yours, into descaler, phosphoric is best imo, and see what happens. May be worth replacing with a repair kit if you get that far.

58 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We have a shurflo pump on Nightwatch. When I have fitted a repair kit every five or six years I have found that the diaphragm has been scaled up with, urm, scale. Might be that the diaphragm may not be as flexible as it should be. If you can, dismantle and drop the bits, the pumps, not yours, into descaler, phosphoric is best imo, and see what happens. May be worth replacing with a repair kit if you get that far.

It does look indeed like the diaphragm may need replacing! Just stripped the pump down and found this....

I have an old one in a box of bits that may do as a temporary repair, so I'm going to try that once I get home.

IMG_20180520_132346.jpg

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If there is no filter then the vales in one or more pumping chambers may be jammed open by now so fit a filter.

Hi Tony, I will definitely be fitting a filter, I found some metal in with all the plastic so it looks like it ingested that. Thanks for the advice.