Should I buy a narrowboat

Dunworkin

Featured Posts

I know it might not have the same appeal as buying a steel narrowboat, but if you're more focused on cruising than home comforts, then a fibreglass cruiser might be worth thinking about, especially if it has an inboard diesel engine (in good condition). If you want a long boat then forget then idea, but if you're happy with something short then a cruiser is worth thinking about; a 24ft cruiser in good condition all round will still be the best part £20,000 less than a 30ft narrowboat in good condition; and cheaper/easier to maintain.

I'm a little biased, but in terms of cruising I'd say the only real downside is that currently fibreglass boats aren't allowed through Standedge Tunnel, unless this has changed recently? Whilst on this subject, can I assume fibreglass is still allowed through Harecastle?

55 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not really.

The Gardners for example in lorries, were usually six cylinder iterations of the two and three cylinder vintage lumps we have in our narrow boats. 

There was slight artistic licence in my statement, which of course was carefully set up so that an engine expert could knock it down. More to the point, when lorries WERE smaller (think 1930s), Gardners were not yet used widely (if at all) in narrowboats.

File under truth....good story....get in way of.

A greeno for "iterations".

57 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Or a caravan. You can enjoy hours of fun holding up traffic on Britains roads:)

Nice try at an(other) thread derail but to engage in pointing out just how how banal your comment is would be to deviate from the subject and not really help the OP at all now would it?

Edited by MJG

4 minutes ago, MJG said:

Nice try at an(other) thread derail but to engage in pointing out just how how banal your comment is would be to deviate from the subject and not really help the OP at all now would it?

Martin, although it may touch a nerve with you I think it's called humour. Our Rusty is a fellow who enjoys a joke and a bit of banter, and I am sure that there was no malicious intent in his post.

9 minutes ago, MJG said:

If you don't like my comments, please feel free to block me. 

Please also try and stay on topic! (even though you are a non boat owner, i am sure someone will value your input) :)

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Martin, although it may touch a nerve with you I think it's called humour. Our Rusty is a fellow who enjoys a joke and a bit of banter, and I am sure that there was no malicious intent in his post.

The thing is Mike it's only funny the first few times you hear it, after that it becomes tedious and frankly utterly bloody boring, and apart from anything else completely inaccurate.

but see she got her way and derailed the thread, yet again.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If you don't like my comments, please feel free to block me. 

Please also try and stay on topic! (even though you are a non boat owner, i am sure someone will value your input) :)

The first person to take this thread off topic was you, again.

I'm sure some enjoy your 'input' to the forum but frankly some of us find it bloody tedious.

Oh and blocking somebody doesn't work because when somebody quotes the drivel that has been blocked you can see it anyway.

Edited by MJG

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

but see she got her way and derailed the thread, yet again.

You seem to be doing quite well on your own. 

Don't comment on my comment, problem solved! 

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

You seem to be doing quite well on your own. 

Don't comment on my comment, problem solved! 

Do you not see the utter hypocrisy in that statement.?

58 minutes ago, Athy said:

Gentlemen, I think you have both expressed your opinions fully and clearly.

So as I am clear Mr Athy. Am i permited to make of topic comments on threads? If not, i will refrain. 

Thankyou 

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Gentlemen, I think you have both expressed your opinions fully and clearly. Enough now, thank you.

Rusty is female Mike, just for the record.

Just now, rusty69 said:

Wrong yet again, and still off topic! 

Well the detail below your avatar says female. So perhaps an easy error to make.

rusty's avatar.PNG

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

So as i am clear mr Athy. Am i permitted to make of topic comments on threads? If not, i will refrain. 

Thank you.

You know how it works, Guv. This exchange was getting very bad-tempered which is why I requested that it stop, nothing to do with it being on- or off-topic.

4 minutes ago, MJG said:

Rusty is female Mike, just for the record.

?

He changed it during a thread some months ago. I can't remember the circs, but I have it on good authority that he's a chap really. Yes, the error was perfectly understandable.

Edited by Athy

Just now, MJG said:

Well the detail below your avatar says female. So perhaps an easy error to make.

rusty's avatar.PNG

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet :)

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

rusty's avatar.PNG

It also says my location is point nemo

Just now, rusty69 said:

I don't actually but it seems perfectly reasonable to take certain information at face value.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It also says my location is point nemo

We're not all well up on Italian geography.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

I don't actually but it seems perfectly reasonable to take certain information at face value.

Perhaps the face is not the important feature here.

25 minutes ago, MJG said:

I'm sure some enjoy your 'input' to the forum but frankly some of us find it bloody tedious.

Tell you what. If ten regular posting forum members that find my posts tedious come forward and say so, i will post no more.

Fair enough?  

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/96263-rusty69-to-post-or-not-to-post/&tab=comments#comment-2142455

Edited by rusty69

Just now, rusty69 said:

Tell you what. If ten regular posting forum members that find my posts tedious come forward and say so, i will post no more.

Fair enough?  

Entirely up to you.

3 hours ago, Dunworkin said:

Some honest advice needed.....! We are a mid 50’s couple who have retired early and would love to buy a narrowboat to spend 6 months of the year cruising. We’ve heard loads of people say that we shouldn’t hesitate...and others say that it’s financial suicide....! Some honest advice would be very welcome.

Theres not much to consider. If you run your life by finance alone then forget it. If you want to do it then do it and get on with it or you will join the long list of gunna dos " When I retire " as one thing is absolutely certain in that you cant do it when your dead and your dead for a hell of a long time.

• Greenie 4