Should I buy a narrowboat

Dunworkin

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I know it is, but if others out there are as upset about my posts as you are, then I shall stop! Guess we will find out soon enough!

Well we could further derail the thread by discussing your voting/poll methodology but I think we've already disrupted it enough, don't you?

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Theres not much to consider. If you run your life by finance alone then forget it. If you want to do it then do it and get on with it or you will join the long list of gunna dos " When I retire " as one thing is absolutely certain in that you cant do it when your dead and your dead for a hell of a long time.

Finance does play it's part though Tim surely?

I honestly believe some (? a lot) lot of people get into boating without fully understanding the commitment both financial and other. Full marks to the OP for doing their research though because if you get into it and then find that actually you can't afford next years licence fee because your engine has just blown up or seized you are stuffed. CRT have a record of not being particularly sympathetic to people who can't pay their dues.

Edited by MJG

1 minute ago, MJG said:

Finance does play it's part though Tim surely?

I honestly believe a some (? a lot) lot of people get into boating without fully understanding the commitment both financial and other. Full marks to the OP for doing their research though because if you get into it and then find that actually you can't afford next years licence fee because your engine has just blown up or seized you are stuffed. CRT have a record of not being particularly sympathetic to people who can't pay their dues.

Yeah of course finance comes into it but it depends on how you value every aspect of life. We didnt use our paid for house so simply sold it in 2007 and continued living aboard as we still do. If we were simply looking at finance no one would ever sell their house as they are an asset financialy but we decided the difference when we die is we wont leave a house behind to not live in cos we will be dead. Our kids would severly bollock us if we made financial decisions just for them. I meant the op realy needs to get on with it whilst their short lives allow. Its not cheap as we all know but after another fab day cruising today and cruising all year till the next winter stoppages in november is worth it to us :cheers:

1 minute ago, MJG said:

CRT have a record of not being particularly sympathetic to people who can't pay their dues.

C&RT have an excellent record of being particularly sympathetic to people who can't pay their dues - IF they discuss the situation, where they are not sympathetic is when folks extract the urine, pretend that the world owes them a living and 'all property is theft', and blame the kids schooling as the reason for not moving for 15 years.

Example :

Extended Stay Requests K&A
26 requests for extended stay have been approved in the Local Plan area between 1 February and 30 April, 1 is pending, and no request has been declined.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Dunworkin said:

Some honest advice needed.....! We are a mid 50’s couple who have retired early and would love to buy a narrowboat to spend 6 months of the year cruising. We’ve heard loads of people say that we shouldn’t hesitate...and others say that it’s financial suicide....! Some honest advice would be very welcome.

Mid 50's is a good time for this adventure, I know so many people who have had plans for much later that have never come to pass usually because of health problems.  If you wish to cruise the canals then a narrowboat is definitely better than a fatty (crash hat on), don't know about grp. You say 6 months per year, do you spend the other 6 months in a house or do you mean non-cruising for other 6 months?  Are you cruising a MrsSmelly best 6 months ie mostly winter?! 

If you haven't boated yet then a hire is a must.  

I am not liveaboard due to family constraints but if I could I would but only with a fixed period in mind, say 6 more years (for me), as I think you have to be realistic about diminshing ability with age.

(apologies if any/all of this is covered earlier)

Would be cruising say March to Sept, then at home for the winter months....keeping the house at least for now. We’ve hired a boat for a week and really loved it. Although that was the Mon and Brec.....so not as busy as the main network.

2 minutes ago, Dunworkin said:

Would be cruising say March to Sept, then at home for the winter months....keeping the house at least for now. We’ve hired a boat for a week and really loved it. Although that was the Mon and Brec.....so not as busy as the main network.

Do look into house insurance if you intend to leave your property empty for months on end, some companies won't insure if unoccupied.

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, Dunworkin said:

60 days seems to be max....after that someone has to spend a night there once a month....I think..!

I think ours (Lloyd's) is 30 days - or at least one has to notify them if a longer absence is planned.

Well done for thinking of it now rather than when it's too late!

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

an item using 10 amps for 6 minutes uses 1Ah, the same item running for 1 hours uses 6Ah and if left running all day uses 144Ah

You got a bit lost there Alan. You suddenly switched to a 6A device. 

A 10A device running for an hour uses 10Ah, and if running for a day uses 240Ah. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I think ours (Lloyd's) is 30 days - or at least one has to notify them if a longer absence is planned.

Well done for thinking of it now rather than when it's too late!

Think ours is 30 days too.

1 hour ago, MJG said:

Well the detail below your avatar says female. So perhaps an easy error to make.

Just shows you cant believe all you read on the internet

9 minutes ago, Dunworkin said:

60 days seems to be max....after that someone has to spend a night there once a month....I think..!

When mums house was empty, she was in care the insurance company wanted a responsible person to visit the property but I can't remember the frequency or all power and water isolated, as we had the heating ticking over we went for the inspection route and recorded every visit

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dunworkin said:

This keeps coming up and every time it does I point out that you can get Landlord Insurance that will cover an empty property for extended periods. We did it with an inheritance property for 18 months. 

Tony

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

This keeps coming up and every time it does I point out that you can get Landlord Insurance that will cover an empty property for extended periods. We did it with an inheritance property for 18 months. 

Tony

Although not all landlord insurance will. Ours is 30 days.

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Perhaps not, but it’s possible, and that’s the point I’m making. 

At the risk of going off topic again and being shouted at by MJG, does the landlord insurance then allow standard occupancy(i.e the other 6 months), or is a new policy required?

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

At the risk of going off topic again and being shouted at by MJG, does the landlord insurance then allow standard occupancy(i.e the other 6 months), or is a new policy required?

Why would I shout at you? You've finally posted something on topic.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Please keep on topic:)

Can I ask that you do too. Dragging back up the earlier discussion was dragging it back,off.

If you hadn't mentioned me by name this all would have died down by now, but you chose to. Strange.

Edited by MJG

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

Can I ask that you do too. Dragging back up the earlier discussion was dragging it back,off.

If you hadn't mentioned me by name this all would have died down by now, but you chose to. Strange.

You chose to comment on my original comment, kicking all this off. 

In respect to the OP. If you feel you need to reply, please do so on my other thread.