boat yards closest to Oxford?

Featured Posts

as per title, anyone know the closest boat yards with lift out capability near to Oxford?  Ideally, not one that requires travelling down the Thames? [[but happy to know about those, too]  I know there is one at Eynsham, and Tooley's at Banbury.

thanks in advance.

I doubt Tooleys can lift but they do seem to have a dry dock.

What about Kingsground at Enslow (The Rock of Gibraltar)?

I suspect Oxford Narrowboats at Lower Heyford or Aynho Wharf could arrange a lift.

I suspect Eynsham would be the nearest.

6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That's correct.

A bit further away, just North of Cropredy, The Slipway has (yes, you've guessed) a slipway.

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

What about Kingsground at Enslow (The Rock of Gibraltar)?

I suspect Oxford Narrowboats at Lower Heyford or Aynho Wharf could arrange a lift.

I suspect Eynsham would be the nearest.

Eynsham 'never' answer the phone (can't remember whether they post an email address either) - I've been chasing them for a couple of months. Mehinks they're more concerned with their moorers. Hope I'm wrong.

OTOH Oxfordshire Narrowboats couldn't be more helpful when I rang them yesterday. They have a hoist which can lift up to 57ft. After that there's nowt until you get nearer London - whoops, Better Boating at Reading have a big crane and are NB friendly . 

Enslow only have a dry dock - IIRC

Edited by OldGoat

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

That's correct.

A bit further away, just North of Cropredy, The Slipway has (yes, you've guessed) a slipway.

pardon my ignorance, but how does that work?  I am used to slipways handling much smaller boats, and then dragging them up on to a trailer.  Would the boatyard use a ??? [a tractor?] to drag the boat on to a trailer or a skid and pull it somewhere on to the property?

The boat needs the bottom inspected and quite possibly repaired.  While it is out, it might as well be painted/blacked/etc.  Do boatyards rent out space to you while the work is done.  Do they tend to/prefer to do the work themselves, or one just pays for the space and arranges whichever trades are needed?

1 minute ago, Wittenham said:

The boat needs the bottom inspected and quite possibly repaired.  While it is out, it might as well be painted/blacked/etc.  Do boatyards rent out space to you while the work is done.  Do they tend to/prefer to do the work themselves, or one just pays for the space and arranges whichever trades are needed?

I think that boat yards with a 'lift out capability' that 

1) Do welding repairs

2) Do Blacking

3) Allow DIY blacking

4) Rent yard standing space

5) Allow other business to come and do work on their site

Is a very different question to 'boat yards with lift out capability'.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think that boat yards with a 'lift out capability' that 

1) Do welding repairs

2) Do Blacking

3) Allow DIY blacking

4) Rent yard standing space

5) Allow other business to come and do work on their site

Is a very different question to 'boat yards with lift out capability'.

did i mention i am new at this...........  :-)

Presumably it is not uncommon to want lifting alongside having something done when the boat is lifted out?  And I really am grateful for having this explained how this works, if you could.  I am happy to trade knowledge on my specialty subject:  perhaps 1970s and 80s professional ice hockey players? 

8 minutes ago, Wittenham said:

pardon my ignorance, but how does that work?  I am used to slipways handling much smaller boats, and then dragging them up on to a trailer.  Would the boatyard use a ??? [a tractor?] to drag the boat on to a trailer or a skid and pull it somewhere on to the property?

I would't call it "ignorance" for a moment.

The slipway has rails, on which is a sort of truck or trucks. The boat is positioned on these and then a tractor pulls it up to the covered work shed at the top of the yard.

We had Trojan blacked there a year or so ago and they did the work, but I believe you can do it D.I.Y. if you prefer. 

If you are interested, the owner is Richard Mason, telephone 07790 843865.

1 minute ago, Wittenham said:

did i mention i am new at this...........  ?

Presumably it is not uncommon to want lifting alongside having something done when the boat is lifted out?  And I really am grateful for having this explained how this works, if you could.  I am happy to trade knowledge on my specialty subject:  perhaps 1970s and 80s professional ice hockey players? 

If all you want to do is get to the hull for blacking etc, then a dry dock will work, so you don't need at actual lift out.  There are basically 3 methods of getting boats  (steel narrowboats in particular) out of the water, a dry dock, a slipway and tractor and trailer, or a crane.  

As an example :

For a survey a narrowboat would (typically) be put on a trailer (more of a sledge on wheels) and pulled up the slipway / ramp by a tractor or fork-truck.

It will be pulled up just above the water and the tractor parked up for a couple of hours whilst the surveyor does his 'stuff' then it is reversed back in and back onto its mooring.

Not all yards have facilities to paint, black or weld, (so can do none, some or all of them)

Few yards will allow DIY blaming H&S  (there have been examples of DIYers falling of ladders and planks propped up on boats) and insurance cover issues.

Few yards will allow outside contractors on site without approval - particularly if they are offering the same service that the yard can offer.

There is no standard - that is all I was getting at, and it does help if your requirements can be outlined all 'in one go' rather than drip fed a bit at a time - it will ensure that you get more relevant answers.

Onto more serious subjects - what do you reckon about Bill barber - was he the king of 'dives' ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, john6767 said:

If all you want to do is get to the hull for blacking etc, then a dry dock will work, so you don't need at actual lift out.  There are basically 3 methods of getting boats  (steel narrowboats in particular) out of the water, a dry dock, a slipway and tractor and trailer, or a crane.  

thanks J6767, it is clear [now...] that the work needed inside the boat is substantial enough that I want to be sure the bottom is in good enough shape.  The original plan was a quick job to get the boat liveable, then a year or two down the line do a more comprehensive job inside and out. 

I now want to do whatever is needed on the bottom before [re-...] starting the interior work.  While it is out, might as well do the overdue paint job, as well.

Next set of questions will be... so, how exactly do i get an engineless boat down the Thames...? 

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As an example :

For a survey a narrowboat would (typically) be put on a trailer (more of a sledge on wheels) and pulled up the slipway / ramp by a tractor or fork-truck.

It will be pulled up just above the water and the tractor parked up for a couple of hours whilst the surveyor does his 'stuff' then it is reversed back in and back onto its mooring.

Not all yards have facilities to paint, black or weld, (so can do none, some or all of them)

Few yards will allow DIY blaming H&S  (there have been examples of DIYers falling of ladders and planks propped up on boats) and insurance cover issues.

Few yards will allow outside contractors on site without approval - particularly if they are offering the same service that the yard can offer.

There is no standard - that is all I was getting at, and it does help if your requirements can be outlined all 'in one go' rather than drip fed a bit at a time - it will ensure that you get more relevant answers.

that makes sense, Alan, thanks.  My reply to J6767 crossed your's and sets out what i need.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you planning to fit an engine at any point ?

i would prefer not to, based simply on not having any plans to go anywhere.  Some minor musings on mounting an outboard on a rudder for the few times the boat needs to move. 

On the other hand, the discussion about how to charge batteries has me at least wondering about it.

1 hour ago, Wittenham said:

as per title, anyone know the closest boat yards with lift out capability near to Oxford?

As other have said, using the term 'lift out' implies you want a crane to load it onto a lorry. 

Given you only need access to the hull, a slipway or dry dock will be more suitable. Aynho going north can do this for you as can Oxfordshire NBs at Lower Heyford. There is a yard just below Osney lock too but I've never succeeded in getting in there or even contacting anyone there, so no idea if they have a slip. But they look as though they would have. 

I think that yard does have a slip but  can't recall seeing a narrowboat up it. However its all a bit academic if the OP has no engine. Maybe he can get someone to tow him. At least the Thames locks will take two NBs but he would need an EA license.

As you're new to all this it might be worth mentioning -

It's unusual that the boat bottom is in worse condition than the sides - I suspect you've looked at the inside and seen a helluva lot of rust? That's not unusual either...

Blacking is not a matter of just slapping on some gunge, a powerful (commercial) pressure washer is needed first and ten mebe some remedial welding.

CaRT won't be happy with you having no engine as boats are supposed to move - unless on an offside mooring. The same applies to EA.

The Thames is not a place to have a jury-rig or grossly underpowered boat - even in summer conditions. Commercial towing is quiet expensive 

What size is the boat and its type (NB cruiser etc)? 

16 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

As you're new to all this it might be worth mentioning -

It's unusual that the boat bottom is in worse condition than the sides - I suspect you've looked at the inside and seen a helluva lot of rust? That's not unusual either...

Blacking is not a matter of just slapping on some gunge, a powerful (commercial) pressure washer is needed first and ten mebe some remedial welding.

CaRT won't be happy with you having no engine as boats are supposed to move - unless on an offside mooring. The same applies to EA.

The Thames is not a place to have a jury-rig or grossly underpowered boat - even in summer conditions. Commercial towing is quiet expensive 

What size is the boat and its type (NB cruiser etc)? 

Given the amount  I have to pay CRT for the right to the permanent mooring I bought with the boat, I will be very disappointed if they are not happy!

It is a 72 foot butty, once paired up with whatever the engined boat that tows a butty is called.  I have no reason to think anything bad about the bottom, other than the boat has sat at the same spot for ~10 years.  And before I get into the re-working of the interior, i want to be sure the bottom is in shape.  I would happily replate it and then park it for another ten years.

I agree on the Thames... I paddle kayaks and canoes on it regularly.  Devizes - Westminster was on my bucket list, and for a number of reasons, after beginning training, we did not go ahead this year.  I walked past the Thames on Good Friday, saw the speed of the water and thought 'record breaking year if the teams can keep the correct side pointed at the water!'.  Turns out they stopped the race at Reading.

25 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

CaRT won't be happy with you having no engine as boats are supposed to move - unless on an offside mooring.

First I've heard of this! 

Where do CRT say this then??

4 minutes ago, Wittenham said:

Given the amount  I have to pay CRT for the right to the permanent mooring I bought with the boat, I will be very disappointed if they are not happy!

It is a 72 foot butty, once paired up with whatever the engined boat that tows a butty is called.  I have no reason to think anything bad about the bottom, other than the boat has sat at the same spot for ~10 years.  And before I get into the re-working of the interior, i want to be sure the bottom is in shape.  I would happily replate it and then park it for another ten years.

I agree on the Thames... I paddle kayaks and canoes on it regularly.  Devizes - Westminster was on my bucket list, and for a number of reasons, after beginning training, we did not go ahead this year.  I walked past the Thames on Good Friday, saw the speed of the water and thought 'record breaking year if the teams can keep the correct side pointed at the water!'.  Turns out they stopped the race at Reading.

Aha! now I get the picture. You've posted before on this general subject - methinks. If the boat is steel then I wonder whether hull thickness could be measured from the inside. If she's wooden then 'blacking' has misled my thoughts.

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

First I've heard of this! 

Where do CRT say this then??

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Not so.

My bad - I rushed to the conclusion that he was a new entrant to the system and would be CCing. He's on an agenda 21 mooring IIRCso doesn't have to move 'cos it's residential

• Greenie 1

Not sure what an "Agenda 21" mooring is , but boats don't have to be on residential moorings in order to stay legally static. Ours, which we don't live on, didn't move for a few months in the winter - we are on a CART long-term mooring so that's perfectly in order. 

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Not sure what an "Agenda 21" mooring is , but boats don't have to be on residential moorings in order to stay legally static. Ours, which we don't live on, didn't move for a few months in the winter - we are on a CART long-term mooring so that's perfectly in order. 

Oh yes, and I miss your bright colour every time we go past.

It's so easy to jump to conclusions when folks post with the minimum of information; suppose I should check on the posts counter before rushing in. Or perhaps throw my toys out and stop posting....

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Agenda 21 moorings are a very rare and expensive thing. Fully residential CRT online moorings, and fully transferable too. Only two sites, both near Oxford centre so consequently they sell for insane prices. The OP bought one for £35k IIRC including a free boat. There is another for sale for £95k IIRC.