House boat for rent

john12345

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I wonder what the toilet arrangements are...

Well, the advert mentions two shower rooms, so one or both probably has/have a toilet.

Though it's not obvious from the external photo, it looks as if the boat is a widebeam, so it should have plenty of living space. How the rent compares with others in the area I don't know.

Do check that the owner has the necessary licence and insurance to let the boat out before you commit yourself.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Well, the advert mentions two shower rooms, so one or both probably has/have a toilet.

They’re also shown on the plan but there is no mention of how the tenant should dispose of said waste. 

Ah, I had not spotted that there were two separate links. What would be the problem with waste disposal? The mooring site sounds well appointed - it even has  washing machines - so it's quite possible that it has elsan disposal too.

Edited by Athy

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Ah, I had not spotted that there were two separate links. What would be the problem with waste disposal? The mooring site sounds well appointed - it even has a washing machine - so it's quite possible that it has elsan disposal too.

https://goo.gl/maps/naxU47k5SZG2

Capture.PNG

Edited by john12345

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

What would be the problem with waste disposal?

I have no idea, hence I asked the question. 

Thanks John for answering it :)

8 minutes ago, john12345 said:

waste pipe connected to main 

Cool, thanks :)

It looks as if the site is well set up. Regarding the rent, it sounds very expensive, but you should compare it with the rents asked for flats in that area - they may be even more expensive.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

It looks as if the site is well set up. Regarding the rent, it sounds very expensive, but you should compare it with the rents asked for flats in that area - they may 

Edited by Sam0011

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

It looks as if the site is well set up. Regarding the rent, it sounds very expensive, but you should compare it with the rents asked for flats in that area - they may be even more expensive.

Flats in the area :

1 bed :1100-1200

2 bed :1200-1350

1 minute ago, john12345 said:

Flats in the area :

1 bed :1100-1200

2 bed :1200-1350

So the rent has been set as comparable. In that case the only question (apart from ensuring that the landlord has the requisite license and insurance) is “Do you want to live on a boat?”  

I have my doubts as to whether the landlord does indeed have hire boat status for that boat as it doesn’t have car parking which I believe is one of the prerequisites.  

Tony

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

So the rent has been set as comparable. In that case the only question (apart from ensuring that the landlord has the requisite license and insurance) is “Do you want to live on a boat?”  

I have my doubts as to whether the landlord does indeed have hire boat status for that boat as it doesn’t have car parking which I believe is one of the prerequisites.  

Tony

No parking, need to pay council tax and apply for parking permit 

2 minutes ago, john12345 said:

No parking, need to pay council tax and apply for parking permit 

That’s missing the point. 

The absense of on site parking suggests the landlord is illegally renting the boat as he cannot have the correct type of license for the boat. 

This seems unlikely however, given how well everything else has been done. 

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

This looks to be on the semi tidal section of the Brent, which is not the same status as the canal. This is Nigel's turf and he will know what is permitted here.

I thought that section was CRT’s turf. If not then our comments about licences are invalid. 

17 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Why?

Perhaps because, as boats are generally cheaper to buy than flats, at least in the South-East, the owner's outlay is less, so he doesn't need to charge so much rent to make a reasonable profit.

Rent a flat Electricity will be at cost directly billed from supplier .Rent a boat and Electricity is supposedly controlled but with loopholes is probably a lot higher.Another nice little earner for Landlord . 

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

Perhaps because, as boats are generally cheaper to buy than flats, at least in the South-East, the owner's outlay is less, so he doesn't need to charge so much rent to make a reasonable profit.

Do we not live in a free society where the seller can offer a product for whatever price he wants and it is up to the 'buyer' whether he accepts the price or not ?

Are you suggesting that someone whose family purchased a house in Mayfair a couple of hundred years ago for £50 should not charge todays 'going rate' for rental ?

Who should control how much profit anyone is allowed to make ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

However he is likely to be experiencing considerably higher maintenance costs and his mooring charge will almost certainly be higher than a flat’s ground rent. Besides, isn’t the owner likely to charge a rent commensurate with the ‘going rate’ in that area?

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do we not live in a free society where the seller can offer a product for whatever price he wants and it is up to the 'buyer' whether he accepts the price or not ?

Are you suggesting that someone whose family purchased a house in Mayfair a couple of hundred years ago for £50 should not charge todays 'going rate' for rental ?

Who should control how much profit anyone is allowed to make ?

Are you being silly?

I think this stretch of the Grand Union Canal is a legal 'grey area'. It is the Semi-Tidal River Brent upstream of Thames Lock. There was a legal battle going on between CaRT and some of the moorers but I don't know if it ever concluded.