Battery relocation

Featured Posts

My batteries are in the most inaccessible place imaginable. Changing one the other day took a couple of hours and I still cannot work out how one can actually top them up in situ. I have no wish to go through that again.

The batteries are where they are for the convenience of wiring up the starter circuit - the starter battery is the only one where access is not too bad. So, I need to move the domestics but doing so means the earth link between the domestic and starter batteries will have to increase from about a foot to probably four (or maybe more depending on the best route for the cable). Is this likely to cause an issue?

Thanks!

Nope. Just make sure the cable is sized according to the extra length. (My starter and domestics are apart and on opposite sides of boat btw)

Thanks PaulJ. Could you remind me what the calculation is for the cable? Presumably on this occasion we are only talking about a one way trip?

Thanks Phil,

Tricks are good thanks. Just getting the boat tidied up ready for a trip up to the canals this year and a boat safety later this month. Thinking of heading to Crick on a permanent basis.

How are things up at your end of the river - just been at Dilley for a few days myself. Weather poor but entertainment great as a fellow poorer decided to fall in. Fortunately no harm done. Which remind me, talking of local things, I need a gas filter to fit a new cooker and someone who does mobile welding for a small job on the boat (topsides). Anyway ideas?

Hope you are doing good and anything planned cruise-wise this year

Colin

Thanks PaulJ. Could you remind me what the calculation is for the cable? Presumably on this occasion we are only talking about a one way trip?

That depends upon what domestic loads you have and where their negative connection is relative to the starter battery but in all probability the BSS minimum 25 sq mm CCSA will be fine. If you are worried then go for a larger one but get really heavy terminal lugs professionally crimped onto it.

17 hours ago, Traveller said:

My batteries are in the most inaccessible place imaginable. Changing one the other day took a couple of hours and I still cannot work out how one can actually top them up in situ. I have no wish to go through that again.

The batteries are where they are for the convenience of wiring up the starter circuit - the starter battery is the only one where access is not too bad. So, I need to move the domestics but doing so means the earth link between the domestic and starter batteries will have to increase from about a foot to probably four (or maybe more depending on the best route for the cable). Is this likely to cause an issue?

Thanks!

I did a battery relocation last year for similar reasons. The batteries could only be checked by lying across the top of the engine and needed a torch and hand mirror to see the electrolyte level in each cell. Lifting batteries in and out involved a potentially spine damaging movement to get them out from under the deck to a point where they could be lifted out of the engine hole.

Be aware that moving batteries across the width of the boat will drastically change the boats trim. On my boat the batteries were on the port side and the trim was badly port side down, starboard side up. In addition to making the batteries easier to check I also made the move to the starboard side to equalise the trim. A 110AHr battery weighs about 25Kg, so moving four of them over moves 100Kg from one side to the other, or the equivalent of adding 200Kg of ballast to the side that is high in the water. I already knew from experimenting that having 200Kg of coal sacks (8x25Kg) on the starboard side was enough to equalise the trim, so had confidence in the move. 

The starter battery stayed on the port side of the engine hole. The earth connection was 25mm2 wire, but I have a battery monitor shunt, so this complicated the connection. The actual amount of current through this wire is small as long as it isn't also acting as the engine earth return that is taking starter motor currents.

The batteries need to be held down to prevent movement in their new location and the starter battery may need its hold down clamping altering if the house batteries are no longer there. Similarly, the terminal protection will also need to meet boat safety scheme requirements. Fuses and isolation switches will also need moving to close to the new battery location, again for BSS requirements, so check the Boat Safety Scheme documentation carefully. On mine a friend made and welded in a new steel cage for the batteries and I made a new combined clamp and terminal cover from a mix of aluminium and plastic.

You can see a pic of my house batteries in their new location here. The house isolator switch is mounted in a galvanised box with the battery monitor shunt bolted underneath. The megafuse is between the isolator and the battery bank. I got a bit carried away with my installation, but a satisfactory and safe install doesn't need to look so neat.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

57 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I did a battery relocation last year for similar reasons. The batteries could only be checked by lying across the top of the engine and needed a torch and hand mirror to see the electrolyte level in each cell. Lifting batteries in and out involved a potentially spine damaging movement to get them out from under the deck to a point where they could be lifted out of the engine hole.

Dear Jen just taken delivery of 4 new batteries and have the same setup as your old setup. When can you pop up to relocate my new batteries for me , can pay up to £4.00. Hope this is not an imposition. 

Seriously that's a nice job you did. You do know that  I will feel guilty now when I put my new set into the old location. 

• Haha 1