Moss covered fenders

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, philjw said:

Has anyone tried mould & mildew cleaner on side decks? Mine grow algae which takes a lot of scrubbing or occasional pressure washing to remove.  Would the cleaner be injurious to the paint on the side decks?

I always found MucOff Marine Cleaner to be hghly effective on green stuff. Spray it on, leave it a while, agitate it with a brush if it’s REALLY stuck on, wash off. 

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes I think it could.  Most fenders are made from polypropylene these days and so if treated with chemicals are subject to embrittlement through Environmental Stress Cracking. Seems like a classic case of some people misunderstanding what their fenders are made of and treating them like traditional hemp materials which most are not. 

http://read.nxtbook.com/wiley/plasticsengineering/novemberdecember2015/consultantscorner.html

I would be a little careful making that 'assumption'. You are right that ESCR is a key issue with plastics and that link is a good paper discussing what ESCR is. It does not however discuss ESCR of polyolefins and specifically Polyprop. When polyolefins are made (polyethylene, polypropylene) they are designed with the end use in mind so you get different polymers. For instance take poyethylene. Two completely different polymers. One for milk bottles - very good stiffness but absolutely naff ESCR (good maybe for a few weeks). The other, PE for water pipes.....the ultimate in ESCR.....designed to last 50 years before cracking takes place.

I dont know that much about the design of Polyprop, but it will be similar and as rope needs to be able to withstand continuous stress, it is likely that the grade of PP used will be highly resistant to ESC and will be filled with UV stabiliser.

All that said, if you google PP and creosote you will find PP shouldnt be used with creosote but that is for applications 'where it matters'. The use of PP for fenders is a pretty mundane application and a bit of stress cracking is hardly likely to cause that much damage. I am not really sure there is that much stress on the plastic. You can do all the testing you like but what is the experience in practise? There must be loads on here who have PP rope fenders and who soak in creosote. I am not hearing those fenders then degrade. Maybe they do and you are right:).

Has anyone had a problem of degradation with PP and creosote?

.......I am bored.....Cabin fever you know:)

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Have you tried creosoting the duck yet?

............better to "Duck" him in "creocote" - Ducks don't like oil based products (especially cooking oil) but that's another subject - perhaps that's why he keeps going missing:giggles:

equally bored................

• Haha 2

Just now, Dr Bob said:

Havent had the time. Too busy stirring it up here on properties of plastics and dangers of butane in petrol whilst using an infrequent red thermometer.

Well, you need to get your priorities right.

I know you were doing your eco-fan tests,and training the duck to read your early morning off load voltage, but you need to involve him more to really get your monies worth.

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, you need to get your priorities right.

I know you were doing your eco-fan tests,and training the duck to read your early morning off load voltage, but you need to involve him more to really get your monies worth.

If got him researching satellite dish mounting systems but he is not making much progress. I will start a new thread on that.

11 hours ago, Halsey said:

IMHO Creosote is essential on sisal otherwise its overkill

other brands are available..........................!

"Mr Creosote! :detective:

Hehe, sisal being a different case is what I meant by it not helping Mr Creosote or the Hysterical Boat Society, i.e. sisal users. I wasn't labelling you as Mr Creosote - but if I've offended,  I'll be happy to offer you a wafer thin mint in recompense! ;):D

11 hours ago, Halsey said:

IMHO Creosote is essential on sisal otherwise its overkill

other brands are available..........................!

"Mr Creosote! :detective:

Hehe, sisal being a different case is what I meant by it not helping Mr Creosote or the Hysterical Boat Society, i.e. sisal users. I wasn't labelling you as Mr Creosote - but if I've offended,  I'll be happy to offer you a wafer thin mint in recompense! ;):D

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Not offended - I guess I must sit between the two as I am a sisal user and always have been on many different boats recently not historic but worthy classics - I just like Joes fenders as they are IMHO the best there is and he is undoubtedly well qualified to make them - even he does make black poly ones as well as his hands are getting a bit tired and I understand he can make two black to one sisal - same price.

I'm partial to a mint ...............:)