How to start yamaha outboard engine without the keys????

lucyboatgirl

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all enjoying the winter. Ha ha! Unfortunately for me I dropped my keys while I was cycling about a month ago and have not been able to move my boat. I tried to explain to crt but they are really angry with me now for overstaying (even though I kept phoning them up to explain the situation and my boat is only 20ft long!!!). So i need to move her now somehow this week. Will probably try to stop a fellow boater for a tow but would much rather start her without the key. Would you have any ideas how to do this? A friend once showed me on his boat he had to start it without the key and he used a butter knife to cross two terminals on the back of the ignition barrel and it started the engine. Would anyone be able to advise me on how to do that?

Any help on how to get her started without the key would be really helpful.

And before you make any jokes, yes it is my boat ha ha ha!

Thanks for any help yous can give me out there. And hope you are all staying warm in this cold.

x x x x x x x x x

hey graham,

yes i totally need to get a new key. need new keys for my doors too! and had to buy a new bike lock. But financial constraints have made me have to put it off till next month when i get paid. and wanna move the boat this week. also think it'd be good to learn how to start her without the key. Its a good bit of pirate knowledge to have. But i can also try to scam a lift off someone during the week up past the next lock.

thanks for any help or advice you can give me

xxxx

When I was much younger I had a car key break off in the ignition barrel. Fortunately it was stuck in the run position so the steering lock was off. I managed to remove the switch element from the back of the barrel, so for a while it was just hanging there on the wires, and to start the car I had to reach up under the dashboard moulding and operate it with my fingers. 

You might be able to do something similar with the outboard.

Again, just throwing ideas out there, but what about bridging the key and pull starting the engine?

Oh. If it's any help here's the inside of my control stick (from when I had a broken cable):

It shows the key barrel and some wiring info.

Edited by ronnietucker

On all the outboards I have ever messed with to switch them off you connect the ignition to earth (negative) same as a lawnmower.

So if you pull the multiplug that connects the wiring to the outboard apart you should be able to hand start it at least. Plugging it back together will then stop it.

May not work but worth a try. A new key would be alot easier :-)