mykaskin

Featured Posts

A videos from my time working on tugs at great haywood. Just some random moments really:

Smaller the boat, greater the fun - so just imagine the fun you can have in a canal tug boat!

I happened to be involved with dredging operations at Great Haywood in early 2015. While I was there, I did some filming of the operations. Some of it is a bit shaky as I was concentrating on steering rather than filming!

Two tugs were employed on the job. Plover had an ex-Genset HRW3 in her. Thor was IIRC powered by a 3-pot Perkins.

The crashing about in ice was the only way to get the flat fronted tug through the thick ice. By setting up a wave ahead to break it first, and then using the bow wave to break the ice into smaller manageable bits. It was a bit rough and ready, but did the job.

Seems to get along at a good speed, .... so..... if the flat out speed of a short boat is x , does coupling it to a 70 foot long boat make the whole ensemble go faster? waterline length and all that stuff, just plain yes/no/dunno will do, equations and square roots make my head ache.

17 minutes ago, Bee said:

Seems to get along at a good speed, .... so..... if the flat out speed of a short boat is x , does coupling it to a 70 foot long boat make the whole ensemble go faster? waterline length and all that stuff, just plain yes/no/dunno will do, equations and square roots make my head ache.

Speaking to Mike H about this last Wednesday. He says the tug will be able to go faster pushing a "flat" as it won't bury its bow as it would alone. See end of Mike's video.

Edited by Ray T

From being involved in dredging on the T&M I found that an ex butty was fastest push,  some of the mud Hoppers had the swimming ability of a brick& as said the tug on it"s own the tug the more throttle applied the deeper the fore end dug in quite easy to get the water swilling over the fore deck